South Australia - any good blokes out there?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

South Australia - any good blokes out there?

Post by JHB » 14 Aug 2020, 5:42 pm

Hey All-

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help a fellow South Australian out.

After months and months of painfully going through a firearms licence application (with all the COVID stuff adding even more delays than usual), it looks like I am finally very close to getting it.

I have a nice little .22 Mag sitting waiting for me to collect once the licence comes through.

I like to think I'm not a complete idiot. I know how gates work. I am polite and respectful. I have already got hunting permit. And I'm pretty fit for an old bloke. If a bit on the slow side ;-)

I also do have significant firearms experience from a previous life in the UK (no, I wasn't a gangster). But I have never hunted. I'm absolutely desperate to get out amongst it once I am allowed to.

Obviously I will have to find some property access, but before that would love it if I could shadow an experienced hunter. I'm thinking maybe just rabbits or foxes at this stage, due to the .22Mag.

I'm in metro Adelaide, but have no problem travelling. Would any of you guys be good enough to allow me to tag along on one of your trips? Always happy to supply the carton ;-)

Happy for a PM if easier than replying here.

Cheers, take care

JHB
Recruit

South Australia
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: South Australia - any good blokes out there?

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Aug 2020, 6:14 pm

Mate - there was a salt of the earth member on here for a Long while, lives and hunts north Adelaide but he ran foul of some forum wording and doesn’t frequent here now - it if you look him up and maybe shoot him a PM, he might stumble across it. Based on his posts and stories and just his persona - he would be my no 1 person to ask for help and shadow - search the name = Stix
Your welcome.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by NTSOG » 14 Aug 2020, 6:51 pm

What? The Stix gone? I enjoyed his subtle approach and advice.

Jim.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Aug 2020, 11:09 pm

I waa wondering where his short concise posts had gotten to !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 15 Aug 2020, 12:04 am

He got too many disqualifying offences and forum law being even tougher than traffic offences or firearms offences apparently there is no spent conviction expiry date. You dont get to come back.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Aug 2020, 1:19 am

Apparently a couple members couldn’t deal with his comebacks, they got butthurt and complained as a collaborate - they know who they are.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 15 Aug 2020, 12:48 pm

"any good blokes" - didn't know this was a dating site now.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JHB » 16 Aug 2020, 12:24 am

Hahaha Ziege!! Yeah, maybe I should have put a bit more thought into the subject line!!
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 1:22 am

I also miss Stix he pm'ed me a bunch of times, good bloke, hope he is well.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Aug 2020, 2:21 am

TassieTiger wrote:Apparently a couple members couldn’t deal with his comebacks, they got butthurt and complained as a collaborate - they know who they are.

Hey Tassie,
Just in case you may be inclined to be thinking that I would have been one of the "collaborate" that you make mention of;
Let me say you could not possibly be further from the truth.

Some members may have got sick and tired of his antics and made a combined complaint (I really don't know nor care) and as you say,, only "they"
would know.

As for myself, I made my final comments to him up front here on the forum for all and sundry to see.
If you have not seen or read it you can do so by referring to my post on Page (2) of "Hunting skills-tips & traps anyone ?" in
Hunting- Game hunting and large prey

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Aug 2020, 10:07 am

^ not at all DJ.
The problem posting up like I did - “those ppl know who they are” is that now anyone who had a Barney with Stix, might feel like I might be pointing fingers, so I apologise if that’s the case.
I’m not naming those that stabbed the poor fella in the back by running to the mods. I don’t know that many pedantic ppl on here, whom would do that, but unfortunately they do exist.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 16 Aug 2020, 11:49 am

while we are on the subject,

l have recently sent a contact message to the mods to respectfully ask if there is anything that Stix can do to get reinstated back on the forum
there has been no reply
maybe if a collaboration of us got together and asked the message would be received in a better way

now guys l am asking how would be the best way to go the next step :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Aug 2020, 12:17 pm

I agree MM - the forum is a poorer place as a result of him being banned. He has bulk experience, knife like whit and great banter. Compared to some of the antagonistic ppl on here...hmmm....it makes it appear (I’m sure it’s not), that certain members have relationships with back end operators.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm

Perhaps an explanation as to what posts he made that conflicted enough guns code of conduct ?
Looking at his last few posts I couldn't identify anything that stood out as bad.
It's possible that some posts have been deleted.

I'm guessing I'm missing something as admin hasn't made a habit of banning people without good reason.

I can only think of one other bloke who got himself banned due to constant abusive and antagonistic behavior, can't remember his user name but he had a pic of a Harley as a avatar.
I'm guessing Stix might have behaved the same way?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2020, 4:57 pm

Come on,,,,,,, you SA blokes,,,,,,,,,,

Bend over and take one (some) for the team.

Whatever team that is,,,,,, from South Oz

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Aug 2020, 11:50 am

Perhaps an offer to meet up at a range first might be more appropriate?
I think I'd rather talk to someone for a couple of hours first before planning on spending a day or two hunting with them.
I've offered to introduce plenty of blokes to the types of shooting that I do. It is always in the controlled environment of a range.
Seeing how a "newby" reacts to rules and regs and getting a feel for them does a lot to build confidence in a bloke.
I've met a few top notch blokes through this forum and a couple of them now shoot with me.
Although on the other hand, I've also met a couple of fella's that I wouldn't give a toy cap gun to let alone take hunting with me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Aug 2020, 12:44 pm

Ditto gamerancher....good bloke or not , I’m not potentially jepordising my hard worked for Hunting access for somebody I know let alone somebody I don’t . It’s extremely hard for an offsider to stuff things up For me when I don’t have one. .when a lion works hard to pull down a zebra He guards it fiercely rather than sharing it with a couple of hyanaes ....I been burnt before so I just play it safe
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JHB » 19 Aug 2020, 6:58 pm

Blr243 wrote:Ditto gamerancher....good bloke or not , I’m not potentially jepordising my hard worked for Hunting access for somebody I know let alone somebody I don’t . It’s extremely hard for an offsider to stuff things up For me when I don’t have one. .when a lion works hard to pull down a zebra He guards it fiercely rather than sharing it with a couple of hyanaes ....I been burnt before so I just play it safe

That is all taken on board Blr243, though I'm not sure I like being compared to a hyena. I just put the question out there in I hope a respectful tone if somebody was willing to share some knowledge and experience. No problem if not. I am a very good solo learner too.
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 19 Aug 2020, 8:05 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Apparently a couple members couldn’t deal with his comebacks, they got butthurt and complained as a collaborate - they know who they are.

That is not what happened at all.

There is no "they".

Long story short, if you're telling other members to "f*** off" you've got no one to blame for being banned but yourself.

That said, this is not a topic about any one particular member, or about moderation policy.

Considering this post putting things back on topic.

To all: If you haven't got anything to say that's related to the OPs question, don't.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Aug 2020, 8:26 pm

Jhb. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. It’s very hard getting on somewhere. I’m in the same boat. I try to get new places and expect to be knocked back most of the time. I spent years hunting shabby places before I gotta onto a fantastic place ...and now that has mysteriously taken a turn and has no pigs on it ...I’m not sure how long this will go on before they return .... good luck with your search
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Aug 2020, 6:23 am

Blackened wrote:

That is not what happened at all.

There is no "they".

Long story short, if you're telling other members to "f*** off" you've got no one to blame for being banned but yourself.

That said, this is not a topic about any one particular member, or about moderation policy.

Considering this post putting things back on topic.

To all: If you haven't got anything to say that's related to the OPs question, don't.

So tempted to explain my post, but I won’t.
Don’t SSAA have farmer assist in SA ? Maybe an option to explore...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Aug 2020, 10:12 am

I don't know whereabouts in S.A you are JHB, perhaps head up to the Para range a few times. Meet as many people as you can, I'm sure you're bound to run into someone who may be able to help you out. I've shot with the blokes at Moonta, they're a good bunch if that is closer to you.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JHB » 20 Aug 2020, 4:38 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I don't know whereabouts in S.A you are JHB, perhaps head up to the Para range a few times. Meet as many people as you can, I'm sure you're bound to run into someone who may be able to help you out. I've shot with the blokes at Moonta, they're a good bunch if that is closer to you.

Thanks Gamerancher. Will have a look at the Para Range. I'm in Metro Adelaide BTW.
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2020, 5:17 pm

It's an unfortunate, reality that hunters are very cautious about inviting other people to properties to hunt. Reason being that the "guest" could then ruin it for the original hunter. I've had this happen to me twice now.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

Para would be a good place to go, shoot your rifle and meet people. I don't know what restrictions are in place at the moment for you blokes in S.A, I just received an email that a large BPCR long range shoot that I was going to has been canned here on the advice of the CMO of NSW, bugger!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JHB » 21 Aug 2020, 6:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:It's an unfortunate, reality that hunters are very cautious about inviting other people to properties to hunt. Reason being that the "guest" could then ruin it for the original hunter. I've had this happen to me twice now.

Yeah, I hear you Oldbloke. And wouldn't be a scenario that applies only to hunting.

If I'm being honest with myself, I would probably take the same view if positions were reversed.

Anyways, if anybody pops up needing someone to hold a spotlight or carry some gear I will still be here ;-)
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2020, 8:27 pm

Jhb. Many years ago when I was a bow hunter, I advertised in local bush papers And I did letter box drops with flyers I made up you can specifically target certain rural farms eg not in the town of Goondiwindi but all the surrounding farms Australia post have this service it’s relatively cheap. I was offering some free carpentry maintenance in exchange for permission to hunt. I ended up with 25 -30 Places and I never got round to visiting them all. My best ever place had oodles of pigs and I hunted there for years. I got 26 the first weekend I was there but I saw 160 It was just after wheat harvest on the stubble and had not been hunted for years ...I would stalk morning and arvo and I would spotlight the stubble at night. Sometimes I would walk up to a mob in the dark and then let fly with a pump winny shotgun. In the middle of the day I was too tired to walk so I would use my motorbike to flush them from the lime bushes and chase them , jump of and grab them by the tail ..... He said In the beginning don’t bring your bow , bring your mini 14 ... and other than shoot some Roos for His dogs I never had to do a single carpentry job. I struck gold with that one .( wait a minute , did I just admit to shooting Roos ? ) So sometimes some extra effort pays off. At the end of the day I would rather work hard for a result Rather than have no result
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 22 Aug 2020, 8:24 am

Similar story Blr. When I moved back to Qld some years back I had to find new properties. I put the caravan on and went bush for a week knocking on doors. . Ended up with a number of places to shoot. You simply have to do the hard yards yourself. And no, I don’t take new shooters to any of these places as I have also been burned by that in past times.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2020, 11:14 pm

JHB wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:It's an unfortunate, reality that hunters are very cautious about inviting other people to properties to hunt. Reason being that the "guest" could then ruin it for the original hunter. I've had this happen to me twice now.

Yeah, I hear you Oldbloke. And wouldn't be a scenario that applies only to hunting.

If I'm being honest with myself, I would probably take the same view if positions were reversed.

Anyways, if anybody pops up needing someone to hold a spotlight or carry some gear I will still be here ;-)

Just to be clear I wasnt suggesting you would do the wrong thing. It's just a reality.

Go knock on some doors. Look respectable. You might get a surprise. Or as someone said, join a club.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JHB » 25 Aug 2020, 8:22 pm

Just got a pleasant surprise guys. Been contacted by a lovely lady about an hours drive from me. Apparently her property is being infested with rabbits, and foxes have taken several new born lambs.
By the sounds of the rabbit numbers I might be turning the tables and asking for someone to help me rather than the other way round!!.
Will let you know how I go.
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control