The Goannas are out and about.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

The Goannas are out and about.

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2020, 9:08 pm

443.png
443.png (530.43 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
Yep,,,,,,,,, they are out and about already.
I've seen three big old fellas in the last two days.
And,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya know what will also be starting to put in appearances,,,,,,,,,,

So fellas,,,,,,,, start watching where ya walking when yer out in the scrub.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The Goannas are out and about.

Post by bigpete » 27 Aug 2020, 9:09 pm

Love it !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 27 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm

I came across a very pissed off tiger snake a couple of years ago in the middle of winter doing firewood trust me when I say I don't care what time of year it is my heads on a swivel whenever I'm in the bush .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 Aug 2020, 9:16 pm

Anyone else besides me actually stepped on a snake ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Aug 2020, 9:18 pm

Not me but I once danced over 1 took off like a kid
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Aug 2020, 9:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Anyone else besides me actually stepped on a snake ?

How’d that work out ? Can you now talk to Harry Potter ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 27 Aug 2020, 9:23 pm

couple times, also had a massive king brown tangled up in my dirt bike trying to bite me when I was 15

I now have Rocky(tm) 16" snake and waterproof boots, any time I'm stomping around where they might be... they're on and laced up tight.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2020, 9:31 pm

Yeah Russ,, I did when I was 11 yo, I was carrying a 20 liter bucket of hot water over to the yards where my ol man was mixing Dencavit and feeding calves.
Struggling under the weight I took a short cut through some long grass and stepped smack bang in the middle of a big tiger.
I was bare foot and that bloody thing flapped both ways over the top of my foot.
I never copped a bite,, and as soon as I dropped the bucket and jumped backwards,,, it disappeared in the long grass heading in the opposite direction.

I've had a few close encounters since then,,,,,, but that one I'll never forget.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Aug 2020, 9:46 pm

Just hopped of my bike , walking a cattle pad With rifle over my shoulder towards a creek ....long grass either side of.the cattle pad ...stepped on a stick and as I did I thought that stick was more shiny than usual so I turned around to check and a black snake was slowly crawling away. He did not strike he just moved off after my weight came off him. ...he was a real cruisy snake and not feisty at all. I think was on the bongs all day ....brown snakes scare me 99 per cent of time I wear long gators I’m hunting again mid September which I’m pretty sure is snake mating time
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2020, 9:55 pm

For those that live in "Tiger snake" country down south, (I used to) who has ever heard one barking ?

(this is fair dinkum, and actually does happen during mating season)
They make a noise that sounds like a small dog barking.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 27 Aug 2020, 9:59 pm

Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TimTimney » 27 Aug 2020, 11:26 pm

As far as I know the closest a snake has got to me is about 10ft before I've spotted it
Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Virtue is doing it
TimTimney
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Aug 2020, 11:50 pm

Years a go up near Big River on Australia Day weekend I was walking down a bit of a Gully grass between ankle and knee-high I was about 3 miles from camp walking down the Gully along this pad and in 20 yards or so I spotted about 20 Tiger's. One struck at me three times. I ship my pants that day.

Guess there were mice there or perhaps an orgy. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 28 Aug 2020, 12:27 am

Its an early season thats for sure!
Already got baby birds in the nest out back carrying on like pork chops for a feed when ever mum or dad gets close to the tree!

Wonder if the foxes got to bed early this year as well--ill find out soon enough i guess
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Peter988 » 28 Aug 2020, 7:46 am

I do a fair bit of cod fishing. We get snakes all the time along the river edges. Particularly at night. Mainly blacks and red-bellied blacks. Never see the browns. They get out of the way quick. The blacks move along too. The red-belly’s are pretty docile though. You need to stamp the ground a couple times to get them to move. Found the same thing with tigers when I was walking tracks in Tasmania. They just lay there til you stamped a few times. I reckon snakes are fine if you leave them alone.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2020, 8:48 am

Yep. Had a few close calls with them. They don't worry me much lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2020, 8:52 am

20190131_125555.jpg
This fella was understandably upset I nearly ran him over in the tractor.
20190131_125555.jpg (355.18 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

Can you blokes stop putting up pictures - fark me! I’m gunna be looking under the bed next few bloody nights! I HATE em!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2020, 9:53 am

TassieTiger wrote:Can you blokes stop putting up pictures - fark me! I’m gunna be looking under the bed next few bloody nights! I HATE em!

Don't be such a sook .
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Aug 2020, 10:00 am

Too late. I have snake PTSD...(Plausibly Terrified Snake Death)...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 28 Aug 2020, 10:59 am

l was bitten a few years ago while following reds walking along slowly
I instinctively looked down seeing a tiger snake slither away thinking that was lucky
my ankle got pretty itchy and swollen after but l kept going and did not see the puncture wounds till after having a shower 10 hrs later when l put my glasses on
apparently it was a dry bite, lucky me

but l have seen plenty, brouns are the ones l really dont want to see
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 28 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

Skinna wrote:Its an early season thats for sure!
Already got baby birds in the nest out back carrying on like pork chops for a feed when ever mum or dad gets close to the tree!

Wonder if the foxes got to bed early this year as well--ill find out soon enough i guess

foxes here have been bedded down for almost 2 months already. they were pairing up 3-4 months ago.... I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing cubs here soon... not unusual for us to be putting 223 rounds through their noggins in Oct so yeah.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2020, 11:29 am

Ziege wrote:

Yeh, I havnt had any come into the whistle for ages. Seen 1. But a fox was calling for a mate when I was whistling a couple of days ago.

foxes here have been bedded down for almost 2 months already. they were pairing up 3-4 months ago.... I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing cubs here soon... not unusual for us to be putting 223 rounds through their noggins in Oct so yeah.

I heard one calling for a mate a few days ago.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 28 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm

Was walking along the top of a sandy hill when i heard a loud hiss.
I instinctively jumped out out of the way only to see a eastern brown rear up at me.
He was about 4 to 5ft and then started to chase me for a few meters, he then stopped turned around and slid back in a rabbit burrow.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Aug 2020, 4:32 pm

Seen a lot of snakes up in fnq this year at least 1 or 2 a day, even a couple of death adders (haven't seen them for years) i think it has something to do with the department of name changes releasing a virus and killing the cane toads
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 28 Aug 2020, 4:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Ziege wrote:

Yeh, I havnt had any come into the whistle for ages. Seen 1. But a fox was calling for a mate when I was whistling a couple of days ago.

I heard one calling for a mate a few days ago.

Pretty weird this time of year.
What are the fruit trees doing over your way? Theyve had swollen buds here for a few weeks now.

There's a chance that fox was wary of you or your presence &/or was calling its young--they do that too.
If thats the case, go back to the vecinity & check for the den, or just go back in 6 weeks time & catch one for us.. But dont spook it by crawling all over the den as they may move house if the pups are still very young.
Once the pups come & go on their own they'll stay there.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 28 Aug 2020, 5:39 pm

"Anyone else besides me actually stepped on a snake ?"

I was planting tube trees and stepped on a copperhead in the long grass. I jumped as high as I could in my gumboots and, at the same time, accidentally drove the spade into the ground - at least that's my story Officer - thus separating the head from the tail of a very big joe blake.

Another time I was on a 200 km bicycle training ride in 1984 and was at the back of a bunch out Warrigal way going up hill when someone up front yelled "Snake!" Being at the back I couldn't see anything until it was right in front of me. As the hill was very steep and my feet were strapped in all I could do was ride straight over the bugger and pray it didn't bite me.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 28 Aug 2020, 6:56 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Can you blokes stop putting up pictures - fark me! I’m gunna be looking under the bed next few bloody nights! I HATE em!

Ok Tassie I'll put this right here to put you at ease this is why I do not kill black snakes .

Screenshot_20200828-185211_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200828-185211_Gallery.jpg (437.23 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2020, 7:10 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Seen a lot of snakes up in fnq this year at least 1 or 2 a day, even a couple of death adders (haven't seen them for years) i think it has something to do with the department of name changes releasing a virus and killing the cane toads

Are you for real ????? :unknown:

So, when did all this come about,,,,, and are they gonna do widespread releases ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Aug 2020, 1:26 pm

Dj im not sure when it has been released but had a senior guy from dnr/deedi/dafi/ whatever they're calling it these days at the farm last week he saw Joe Blake on the drive in and we got onto the subject of the lack of toads this year he said it sounded like they've finally released the virus we asked what virus
apparently the narritive for a solution to cane toads for the past 10 years has been a virus like myxo in rabbits he said last he heard they were close and that was a couple of years ago, he also confirmed they hadn't given any thought to how the loss of the cane toad would effect fauna in the region we are also seeing a huge increase in beetle population in orchards
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control