180 gn 30-06 round for foxes..?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

180 gn 30-06 round for foxes..?

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 9:29 am

Was able to get some more time behind the featherweight 30-06 yesterday and found some fairly rubbish groupings from a couple of different 150gn rounds, and some decent groupings from some heavier rounds.

In particular:
- Remington Hog Hammer 168gnBarnes TSX tips - that I plan on using for pigs
- Federal Power Shok 180gn soft points - that I was planning on using for deer.

Question - will the 180gn soft tip be ok for foxes too.. or will it be major overkill...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 180 gn 30-06 round for foxes..?

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Sep 2020, 9:50 am

In my experience, I've found that the heavy stuff won't expand on small game. They drill neat holes.
It's not a problem if you place your shots well.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 21 Sep 2020, 10:02 am

The 180gr should be fine. You might needs a bonded projectile such as the 180gr accubond but you have to make sure you hit it in the vitals and I'd limit the range to under 50m.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 10:16 am

Range under 50??? Eh? Thats what the 17hmr is for.. Jesus thats what the 22LR is for... I'm looking at ranges beyond 150.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 21 Sep 2020, 10:17 am

A 30/06 is overkill on foxes let alone using 180gr bullets.
What's the difference in groups are you talking about between 180gr and the lighter stuff?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 10:24 am

Yeah I figured as much.
Slightly over 1MOA versus 2.5MOA...

I still have some more rounds in the safe to test. Happy that I've found good relatively inexpensive options for pigs and deer (which is what its for really), but would like to find some decent options for foxes.

Will keep you posted. Sun's out today.. might get out again at lunchtime...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 10:32 am

Here they are.
Attachments
better.jpg
better.jpg (509.2 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
nope.jpg
nope.jpg (532.25 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 10:34 am

Also noticed that the #5 round I shot with the 180gns (after I'd walked up and checked the first 4 and written on them and then returned) was then the left most of the group. Warmer barrel could mean more flex?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2020, 11:38 am

l have used my 30-06 on foxes when stalking plantations (with permission, induction ect... :lol: l dont poach) on the way back after not seeing what l was after
the foxes would follow me around the plantations, the 30-06 guts them as well as kills them with the same shot, it works
but really can it be done safely is what l think you should be asking, in my situation yes it could be done, the 30-06 bullets are not frangible in construction and you need to know they will not be heading towards what you are not aiming at ;)

IMHO your barrel is way to thin for 5 shot groups
l would be doing 1 shot a half hour to make it like out hunting or no more than 3 quick shots then let the barrel cool right down
for factory ammo the groups are what l would expect and not that bad :thumbsup: it does seem that your rifle prefers the 180's

my featherweight is in 308, l dearly wish it were 30-06,
l've been practicing with it off the shoulder on swingers and am about to have a crack at making a ching sling for steadier offhand shooting
anyway good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2020, 12:19 pm

I have shot 1 fox at about 150 yards with a 180 gr interlocks out of a 30'06. In chest face on. Gutted the fox.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 21 Sep 2020, 1:43 pm

Vicko wrote:Was able to get some more time behind the featherweight 30-06 yesterday and found some fairly rubbish groupings from a couple of different 150gn rounds, and some decent groupings from some heavier rounds.

In particular:

Question - will the 180gn soft tip be ok for foxes too.. or will it be major overkill...

30-06 is overkill for any fox. It doesn't matter if you use 110gr Vmax or 220gr Woodleigh RNSP or anything in between. If a fox gets hit with a 30-06 and survives the red mist it won't get far. I'd just choose one accurate bullet over 165gr and stick with it. The 150gr in the 30-06 never grouped well in my rifles but the minute you go to 165gr and above no problems.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2020, 3:21 pm

Vicko wrote:Was able to get some more time behind the featherweight 30-06 yesterday and found some fairly rubbish groupings from a couple of different 150gn rounds, and some decent groupings from some heavier rounds.

In particular:

The heavy bullets will require very good shot placement, they'll punch a thirty-caliber hole straight through, but will do the job.

There are enough people using .30-cal for varminting that there is a decent range of bullet options. You can push the little bullets almost 1000fps faster than the 180gn. I would try some varmint-designed bullets, like the 110gn VMax, Speer TNT, Hornady SP, Nosler Varmageddon, or Sierra Varminter.
Even the 110gn Speer JHP, 100gn Plinker JRN, or Hornady JSP, or 85gn Sierra JRN or would be good choices if they give you the accuracy.

Keep the heavy factory loads for the bigger beasts and load (or find somebody who will load for you) some dedicated varminting ammo for the wee beasties.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 3:55 pm

marksman - yes I wasn't really going for any records in terms of tight groups. I'll try one shot with the 180gn again with a cold barrel next time and confirm its still dialled in to the same spot. Oddly enough as the barrell warmed, groups tightened.. so I need to double check that (you can see on the targets I noted barrel temp). 4 shots of the 180 in reasonably rapid succession and it was hot to touch but still grouped ok.

I do have two other packets of 125gn including a 'Lite' hornady load and a packet of 168gn precision hunter still to group after having a bit more time behind the rifle (both of those are more expensive than I'd like tho...). The trigger is still pretty ordinary, heavy and long, but I wanted to know that it would shoot before spending any more money on it. And I think the trigger has lightened a smidge as Ive been using it.

I'm not too fussed with using it for foxes to be honest. Just a good excuse to get some practise shooting it under pressure. I dunno if I'd see any more foxes after the first shot anyway.. its pretty bloody loud :)
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2020, 3:58 pm

Vicko wrote:I'm not too fussed with using it for foxes to be honest. Just a good excuse to get some practise shooting it under pressure. I dunno if I'd see any more foxes after the first shot anyway.. its pretty bloody loud :)

A good reason for reduced loads with those light bullets, vewwy, vewwy quiet :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 21 Sep 2020, 5:31 pm

Yep - once I get my reloading gear sorted I'll be doing just that I'd imagine.
Mind you - I'll hopefully have the 243 / 6mm by then which will become my 'nearly all things' rifle, so...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 22 Sep 2020, 9:54 pm

Sometimes it can be the shooter simply settling in after the first few shots. I often start by using a different rifle first if I haven't shot for a week or so.

I had one 30/06 barrel that shot 130gr bullets into 6 inch groups at 100yds but would group 165gr and heavier into 1 inch groups.

I use 150gn bullets out of a 308 for everything - foxes, pigs, wild dogs etc.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 26 Sep 2020, 5:27 pm

Update - took her out for another bit of testing today and I have some more options now. On top of a good pig load and a good deer load as per previous posts, I now have two good 125gn fox loads. One of them surprised me how good it turned out to be to be honest.

Today I tried the Hornady Custom Lite 125gn and WInchester Super X 125gn. The Custom Lite's grouped a genuine 1MOA from a cold barrel. 4 shots in about a minute. I'm more than happy with that from this rifle. The Super Xs were a little over 1.5MOA on a warm barrel which would also nearly do (and they're much cheaper).

I also tried the Hornady Precision Hunter 178gn and it HATED them. Barrel was hot by then and I noticed the bipod screw had come a little loose so I tightened it up during the group so I might have to reshoot them tomorrow. But we're talking 5MOA... I won't bother showing that group lol ;)
Attachments
watchoutfoxes.jpg
watchoutfoxes.jpg (587.75 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2020, 7:38 pm

Haven’t read entire thread so apologies if has been said already.
I’ve been doing a crap load of 06 testing Over last 18 months and it resulted in some steyrs pro hunters being sent back to the manufacture for accuracy guarantee failure.

In the 3 x 06 sports rifles they I’ve been developing reloads for (rem700, sauer, steyr), the most accurate weight has been 150-168gns and my now go to deer round in the sauer is 168 Zmax, 56.8gns 2209 and it’s 3/4 moa x 5 shots.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 26 Sep 2020, 7:47 pm

Mate if reloading have a look at the Speer 130gn varmint hollow points. They would go alright on light game. I found they expanded to quickly when shooting pigs at close range and didn’t penetrate that far into the pig. They were ok at distance once they had slowed down. Should be alright on foxes. Would be sizzling along out of the 30/06 though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Sep 2020, 8:28 pm

I shot a fox close range with a 300 grainer from my bushmaster ...I expected it to Be too tough and just pencil thru but it opened up the fox more than anything I have ever done before with my Usual high velocity v Max’s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2020, 10:28 am

I dunno about the thirty ought six on foxes,,,,,,,,,

But, I whacked 3 crows in half an hour this morning with 130 gr Hollow Points in .308

Now that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, was spectacular.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 29 Sep 2020, 11:32 am

I'm no expert on the 30-06... But I'm assuming you are talking about whacking the odd fox while after larger game? Because if your going for small game alone, might I recommend something lighter on the shoulder and the hip pocket... Maybe a 223? ;D
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Sep 2020, 11:51 am

Die Judicii wrote:I dunno about the thirty ought six on foxes,,,,,,,,,

But, I whacked 3 crows in half an hour this morning with 130 gr Hollow Points in .308

Now that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, was spectacular.

I can only imagine it would have been.
Mate is that the Speer 130gn HP you were using?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2020, 12:14 pm

JimTom wrote:
I can only imagine it would have been.
Mate is that the Speer 130gn HP you were using?

Yes Mate,,,, ya got it in one.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Sep 2020, 1:01 pm

Mate I have circa 1000 of them, got them when they were reasonably cheap. Used to use them in my 308 but as I have eluded to before on different threads I found them a bit to frangible when travelling quite quickly and used on pigs. They seemed ok at distance.
Have developed a load for them in my 300AAC however yet to try them on oinkers. Hoping they go ok as they will be travelling significantly slower. I was probably a bit rash buying so many prior to ensuring they were what I wanted.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control