Biggest pig you’ve ever seen??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Biggest pig you’ve ever seen??

Post by Ferrisweil » 21 Sep 2020, 3:24 pm

Wondering what the biggest (and verified) feral pig is that you’ve ever seen. I’m not talking about one that a mate of a mate or grand-dads uncles property manger shot 80 years ago. Something you’ve seen and can verify. I’ve shot a few around the 150kg mark but I saw one the other night that I’m still struggling to believe. I’ve caught glimpses of this pig and have been trying to get him the last 18months but he’s a clever old boy. I’m not gonna such much more about him until I can prove it and get photos but needless to say, a mate of mine was shaking the other night after a close call with the old brute.
I’ve seen that picture of the one killed in the Pilbara years ago but I’m not gonna hit this one I’m talking about unless I have a perfect head shot. Don’t want him running off...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Biggest pig you’ve ever seen??

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Sep 2020, 3:50 pm

Ive seen one on a property out moonie way that i passed off as being a calf. Owner of the property knows the one that im talking about i have aslo shot a big boar whith what i thought was a perfect shot behind the sholder however hes since been seen walking around with a limp.

Dont know if it was a mix of dry mud or a over grown shield. There are some monsters out there however meeting them is always going to be rare. They dont get to that size by being seen by everything.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2020, 3:56 pm

Posting a topic like this sets of a chemical change inside my body that words cannot describe
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Sep 2020, 4:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:Posting a topic like this sets of a chemical change inside my body that words cannot describe

Looking for giant pigs is what im all for the amount of smaller ie 60-80kg pigs I've overlooked in the hopes of smashing that elusive 100kg plus boar.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 21 Sep 2020, 4:35 pm

Blr243 wrote:Posting a topic like this sets of a chemical change inside my body that words cannot describe

You need a moment alone? Lol
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 21 Sep 2020, 4:38 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:

Looking for giant pigs is what im all for the amount of smaller ie 60-80kg pigs I've overlooked in the hopes of smashing that elusive 100kg plus boar.

Yup, agreed. Mates and I would have dropped 150-200 pigs in the last 6 months, but those big fellas get the Adrenalin going. This pig the other night.... my god.... I’m making it a personal mission to get him. I’ve seen him the last 2 season but the perfect shot has eluded me...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 21 Sep 2020, 4:46 pm

disturbed a cracking mountain boar up at Nundle late one afternoon on a mates Cattle farm, zero hunting pressure as the farmers wife wasnt into hunters. First day we knew the place was gunna be good when we spotted a mob of 40 pigs bedded down under some trees right where the farmer told us to look LOL.

The boar we disturbed would have easily gone 140-150kg. Massive hams as it climbed up the the otherside of a step, looked like a steer.

Disturbed another boar off a Dam in the NT that had been living in the calving paddock, chased him on foot for 1km zig zaggin thru trees, never got a shot but an easy 130-140kg boar.

A mate shot a nice 160kg Monaro boar a few years ago out spotlight, length of it was ridiculous.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2020, 5:05 pm

No Ferris ... I don’t need a moment alone. It’s not a sexual thing. It’s heaps better than that. There’s no doubt the sight of a monster boar or even the thought of a monster boar plays havoc with the normal function of our brain ... and I think this boar is messing with you already if u thing u need to head shoot him. Just 7 mm 08 him or 308 him or whatever it is you use. My biggest fell to single 87 Vmsx in the chest There’s a good chance he’s not going to give you a head shot. And if u are anything like me you will b way too rattled to do it properly. Remember they only live to be about 6 years old in the wild so go Get him .... before I do
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 21 Sep 2020, 5:17 pm

I saw my biggest pig in the NT bush last week. Missed an easy shot at him after shooting like a demon all week. Two of us stared at him on a waterhole bank for a second, both thinking bullock. Can’t verify but we both thought 140-150. So in reality 120-130..
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 21 Sep 2020, 5:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:No Ferris ... I don’t need a moment alone. It’s not a sexual thing. It’s heaps better than that. There’s no doubt the sight of a monster boar or even the thought of a monster boar plays havoc with the normal function of our brain ... and I think this boar is messing with you already if u thing u need to head shoot him. Just 7 mm 08 him or 308 him or whatever it is you use. My biggest fell to single 87 Vmsx in the chest There’s a good chance he’s not going to give you a head shot. And if u are anything like me you will b way too rattled to do it properly. Remember they only live to be about 6 years old in the wild so go Get him .... before I do

We does the 6 year old theory come from? Interesting .
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 21 Sep 2020, 5:47 pm

Had a blind date once...................................yep that was one mighty big pig :shock:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2020, 6:00 pm

I think I read it somewhere / 6 years. I’ll just run with that for now
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 21 Sep 2020, 6:31 pm

Not sure whether that would be a regular max of 6 years or an average. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. 6 years is a long time in a lot of areas.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 21 Sep 2020, 6:33 pm

Nailed a big English porker in Portsmouth one night a few years ago.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm

Hey Ferris,,,, I saw a sow quite close up with my very own eyes a few years back,,,,, that would top your boar easily.
I had her in my vision for at least a quarter of an hour.

She was sitting behind a desk in uniform in an "office" in Sth Aust.

:lol: :wtf: :wtf:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Sep 2020, 6:51 pm

That being said,,,,,,, I hope you get him Mate.
I haven't seen the big black and white one I posted pics of since,,,,, but I live in hope.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 21 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm

Hahaha classic! Sounds like I’m looking for big pigs in the wrong places haha
Might have to hit the town
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2020, 10:49 pm

some of the biggest l've ever seen and l dont really chase them now have been in Vic living in national parks and state forest
l've shot a few but am more interested in the deer unless they are a problem for the farmers like in this photo from my trail camera
its a pity they dont get the hooks like up north
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 22 Sep 2020, 10:07 pm

Saw a big boar multiple times over a period of over 4 years. He never grew bigger in all that time.

I eventually got him after hitting him multiple times at short range after a chase (bit of a story there). Have got pigs since that may have weighed as much, but never one as smart and tough as this one.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Am88 » 01 Oct 2020, 10:51 am

Always a good yarn, never layed eyes on this bugger during the day, only once at night. I have photo's somewhere on a hard drive of trotter size and wallows. He was a fair lump of a lad. he would turn up for a night or 2 every couple of months on a mango property I hunted when they watered. The trotters were 3" round excluding due claws, closest I ever got was when I drove straight past him one night at about 3am :lol: . we were sneaking by moonlight on the way to his latest wallow, wasn't til the way back from his empty wallow I spotted his eyes when we got the spotty out, roughly 230m google earth reckons, was only a small handheld, he looked at the spotlight for about 2 seconds and then just slowly turned around and his big black ass disappeared into the night. biggest one actually shot was about 85kg, nothing exciting, but this bloke made it look small, from what I saw anyway. Good times.

Sounds a bit like a mythical bigfoot story that one, BUT definitely the biggest I have seen.

:allegedly: :sarcasm:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Oct 2020, 2:02 pm

Clive Palmer at a “all you can eat” bistro :P

i never seen him in person , but Russ Hinze "the minister for everything" was a unit :lol: he looked like a big old boar in the face , and the fact he was police minister just goes without saying ....... :lol:

queensland politicians qaulify for this topic yeah :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2020, 6:42 am

Many years ago shot heaps in central NSW.
Driving through a paddock in an old Triumph. Saw a huge sow. Must have been 8 foot long. ( well it seemed it) Started running like fuk and we chased it in the car. Hopeless trying to shoot it. Clean miss.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Oct 2020, 7:46 am

These pigs have avoid choppers, foot hunters , dogs and poison for so many years to grow so big We tend to think of them as being smarter and elusive. And that it might be difficult to get them. And for the most that’s going to be true. But I have been lucky in this regard ...every really good or exceptional boar has just sort of fell into my lap with minimal effort ...I just wish it would happen more often. It’s usually about 5 years between them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 05 Oct 2020, 8:01 pm

I read a story of an old truck driver who was driving in the NT in thr 60’s or so and got lost on some property tracks for a few days. He was getting water from a creek and saw a pig that he estimated was 3 metres long and 750-1000 kg, and dangerous. Drinking too much salt water in the heat.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

a lot of doggers knacker the boars to make them grow bigger
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 13 Oct 2020, 3:03 pm

The biggest Pig I ever saw was a woman working at the local fish and chippery in Laverton WA....that was 20 years ago and the memory still burns in my mind.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2020, 3:48 pm

Deans story of two much salt water in the heat reminds me of the time midday. Super hot October cape York. Walking the soft white sandy creek beds with intermittent waterholes. Generally only time I see fresh water crocs up there is their eyes at night with a torch But in the extreme heat I remember seeing a few crocs on the daytime on land sun baking but I avoided them and just kept looking for boars ...eventually I turned around and came back along the same creek and eventually made it back to the Ute. But walking back to my Ute along the creek this time I saw no crocs. I was pushing myself real hard in the hot weather. To this day I really don’t know weather I actually saw crocs or not. Been to the cape may times. Never see crocs on the banks before this. Perhaps the heat was frying my brain. It’s hard to comprehend how in that condition I could function and hunt Ok but hallucinate as well.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Oct 2020, 6:05 am

Went bow hunting out the back Toowoomba a few years back, guys I went with were more experienced than me - I never got a shot off because I was worried about hitting dogs...I don’t know how they managed to shoot what they did - I’d never forgive myself if I put an arrow in a dog. I went with rifles after that but never shot anything like you guys are talking of.
Ps - feel free to smuggle a few porkers into tassie...limited ferals over here...our parks and wildlife jump so hard on reported ferals that no one talks about wild goats because they’ll be eradicated in a week if word gets out.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 14 Oct 2020, 6:33 am

TT. Got your 4570 yet ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Oct 2020, 6:57 am

Blr243 wrote:TT. Got your 4570 yet ?

No mate - apparently, customs confiscated entire shipment. Just getting paperwork sorted now...it’s meant to be in the state this week and then 2 weeks for shop to register then I can collect...there’s a chance that my pta will be out of date by time i can get it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control