Rats pest control on farms, offering shooting?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Rats pest control on farms, offering shooting?

Post by EMU » 12 Oct 2020, 7:42 am

Hi all! Just joined up, but have been here before to get great info on gun stuff over the last few months!

Question: I have a PCP Air Rifle, and really wanna put it to good use. Im based in Brisbane, so the two big gun ranges are still omplementing a ‘booking system’ to get there - which is a pain in the a**, and all the little comps like CSD have been cancelled, so I cant get the old girls out.

Does anyone know any little farms or stations in and around the Briabane and surrounding areas that could do with some critter control? Rats mostly. Its all ‘volunteer’ so i DONT expect to be paid money - i just wanna get out and shoot!

Thank you all!

Emu
EMU
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Rats pest control on farms, offering shooting?

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Oct 2020, 5:58 am

Try the chicken farms (huge sheds) - they often have rats and cats taking advantage of the free food and warmth - reckon they’d be keen to lower their pest no’s.
They are generally site owners of land, big enough to allow air rifles - so if you can show them you can shoot and are safe...winner.

A quick google shows about 25 companies - if you’ve got insurance, if your dead keen, I’d be calling - don’t email...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 14 Oct 2020, 6:31 am

When a teenager I used air rifles in chook sheds it was fun. Be prepared to get covered in chook poop
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 14 Oct 2020, 6:49 am

Welcome EMU, if you want to get some shooting in at a range that doesn't have a booking system take a look at the Jim Smith range on the Belmont complex, there are clubs that shoot ISSF air rifle and 50m small bore onto electronic targets on Saturday mornings and Tuesday/Friday evenings, there is also a pistol club accepting new members and allowing form 33 attendees. Club guns are also available at all of those at no charge.
http://www.bisc.com.au/contact-clubs-on-the-venue/

For members of those clubs there's even an annual pass system that will allow access to the range by yourself any time you want to get some practice in, 24x7 for air rifle/pistol and 8am to 10pm for rimfire (due to agreed noise restrictions on the complex).

Sorry, can't help with the hunting query but good luck with that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2020, 8:11 am

Blr243 wrote:When a teenager I used air rifles in chook sheds it was fun. Be prepared to get covered in chook poop

This made my crack up, just the image alone was enough.
Member-Deleted

Post by eddievic » 14 Oct 2020, 8:20 am

Seeing rats during day... dang they must be thousands of them hiding
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Oct 2020, 12:52 pm

We. Tied plastic bags around our feet With rubber bands to keep our shoes half reasonable ...rermoving those bags was a messy job I shudder
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:We. Tied plastic bags around our feet With rubber bands to keep our shoes half reasonable ...rermoving those bags was a messy job I shudder

:lol:
Member-Deleted

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control