Left hand shooting for righties

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Left hand shooting for righties

Post by Blr243 » 19 Oct 2020, 7:54 pm

For decades , either on a quadbike or in a Ute I have been shooting right handed , and sometimes in a hurry I have had to uncomfortably an very awkwardly shuffle around in my seat to shoot to my right. ...the game does not often wait for me to Prepare ....so in prep for my 2020 stubble hunt I’m fitting some foam to my quadbike shooting racks, and giving some thought to how I’m going to deal with right side targets ....at first I grabbbed the stock. With my right hand, pushed th butt into my left shoulder and attempted to use my left eye to look thru th scope. I had all sorts of trouble forceing my right eye to shut in an attempt to get my. Left eye on the job But once I focused it seemed possible.... tonight I tried Again but this time I kept both eyes open and threw my left eye into the bbacck of the scope. It was fast and simple. And with a bit more practice I reckon I can. Sort this out. , shoot to the right , and never lose time reshuffling my body ever again. On the hunt I fully intend to group shoot test at a target to ensure I’m shooting good ....so if you are anything. Like me and have never tried this , give it a crack, and push beyond the first horrible five minutes , you. May be quite surprised. I’m also. Interested in hearing if you have already given it a go in the. Bush when required
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Left hand shooting for righties

Post by Blr243 » 19 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

I will need to be careful bringing my left hand around towards the trigger guard ,,, a bit of fumbling there could be dangerous
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Oct 2020, 9:46 pm

If fast release of that first shot is the priority then look at getting a red dot, then you can keep both eyes open no matter which is seeing the dot.
Red dot sights excel for close or fast moving targets, for long distance the scopes are far better but aiming at distance takes extra time, especially for your eye that doesn't get as much practice.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Oct 2020, 10:12 pm

I have a red holographic on my new 4570 walking gun but off my quad it’s always at night with a thermal or nv
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Oct 2020, 3:01 pm

Do you do the awkward trigger-hand over-the-stock bolt action cycling as seen in this video?

https://youtu.be/wgHRj2-vvs8

Or do you only use levers?
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2020, 5:30 pm

Bang whizz. When shooting off my quad bike it’s strictly bolt actions. I have my rifle mounted pointing fwd very nearly ready to go so there’s no problem cycling the bolt it’s already done ...so it’s just grab the rifle point to the right and flick the safety off. I’m actually almost looking fwd to shooting my first left handed fox or cat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Oct 2020, 5:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:Bang whizz. When shooting off my quad bike it’s strictly bolt actions. I have my rifle mounted pointing fwd very nearly ready to go so there’s no problem cycling the bolt it’s already done ...so it’s just grab the rifle point to the right and flick the safety off. I’m actually almost looking fwd to shooting my first left handed fox or cat

Okay, and how do you find the recoil of the 4570? How comparable is it to the 30-30?
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2020, 6:56 pm

I hate the range and my next hunt is a month away so the 4570 remains unfired. I will learn about th recoil soon. I. Hanload so Am abl tomake something suitable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm

Blr243 wrote:I hate the range and my next hunt is a month away so the 4570 remains unfired. I will learn about th recoil soon. I. Hanload so Am abl tomake something suitable

I look forward to hearing about your experiences.
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2020, 7:33 pm

Ok. So I have to shoot at least one boar with my new 4570 on my next trip. I accept the challenge ....if I have time i can prepare some 525 grain subs but if not I have some fast 325 grain flex tips already loaded
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Oct 2020, 8:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:Ok. So I have to shoot at least one boar with my new 4570 on my next trip. I accept the challenge ....if I have time i can prepare some 525 grain subs but if not I have some fast 325 grain flex tips already loaded

I think the energy coming out of the barrel will be enough to knock one over, let alone the projectile :lol: last time I asked a dealer about 45/70 he got real wide-eyed haha :shock:
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Oct 2020, 11:56 pm

Can see it now BLR - “well, one minute I was on the quad, cross hairs on the boar at 120m, the 45/70 resting gently on the shooting sticks...the next, I was looking at the sky, my ears maintaining a constant high pitched, kind of metallic buzz....“oooooooooooooooooo”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 12:46 am

TassieTiger wrote:Can see it now BLR - “well, one minute I was on the quad, cross hairs on the boar at 120m, the 45/70 resting gently on the shooting sticks...the next, I was looking at the sky, my ears maintaining a constant high pitched, kind of metallic buzz....“oooooooooooooooooo”

https://youtu.be/TJnEXfD07yc :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 21 Oct 2020, 7:34 am

TT did u end up getting your 4570?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control