High speed dog food.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

High speed dog food.

Post by NTSOG » 03 Nov 2020, 11:35 am

G'day,

In the absence - mostly - of foxes willing to play centre-fire 'catch' I've been chasing hares around my and other properties with the .22WMR and 30 gr V-max. [The little bullets make a real mess of the internals, though I did think I'd missed one hare as it ran off. I shot it again a few minutes later. When I butchered it I found that the first shot was a complete pass-through between the ribs on both sides.] I was raised in the 1950s and ate a lot of underground mutton growing up as chicken was a luxury that was only served on special events, but have never eaten hare. I've heard that to make it palatable it must be hung for a couple of weeks until it turns green. On that basis it's highly unlikely I'll ever eat one, hence it's going to the dog.

As for foxes I did con one to stick its head out of a bunch of blackberries along a steep creek bank a few days ago with a mouse squeak type call on my Icotec. It was sitting at 82 yards and about 35 feet lower than where I was perched so I shot it straight down through the middle of its chest. It flipped over backwards, screaming like it was being given a barb-wire enema. Unfortunately it fell back down the creek bank into the blackberries and I couldn't find it. I've never heard one scream when shot before, but my hearing isn't that flash.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1872 (1) asf.jpg
IMG_1872 (1) asf.jpg (728.58 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: High speed dog food.

Post by Bugman » 03 Nov 2020, 5:58 pm

Hare today.....gone tomorrow.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2020, 7:05 pm

Good fun looking for em in the blackberries,,,,,, (tiger snake heaven) :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2020, 7:17 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

In the absence - mostly - of foxes willing to play centre-fire 'catch' I've been chasing hares around my and other properties with the .22WMR and 30 gr V-max. [The little bullets make a real mess of the internals, though I did think I'd missed one hare as it ran off. I shot it again a few minutes later. When I butchered it I found that the first shot was a complete pass-through between the ribs on both sides.] I was raised in the 1950s and ate a lot of underground mutton growing up as chicken was a luxury that was only served on special events, but have never eaten hare. I've heard that to make it palatable it must be hung for a couple of weeks until it turns green. On that basis it's highly unlikely I'll ever eat one, hence it's going to the dog.

As for foxes I did con one to stick its head out of a bunch of blackberries along a steep creek bank a few days ago with a mouse squeak type call on my Icotec. It was sitting at 82 yards and about 35 feet lower than where I was perched so I shot it straight down through the middle of its chest. It flipped over backwards, screaming like it was being given a barb-wire enema. Unfortunately it fell back down the creek bank into the blackberries and I couldn't find it. I've never heard one scream when shot before, but my hearing isn't that flash.

Jim

I never take shots straight into the breastbone, too easy to miss everything vital.
My mum's chihuahua was shot in the chest with a .22LR. The bullet traveled the length of his body and exited beside his tail root. He was in immense pain for a week or so, but went on for many years without problems.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 03 Nov 2020, 10:01 pm

love a front on shot on a fox...its a pretty sure thing there will be no shrapnel holes in the skin...& get em smack in the middle & you cant even see the bullet hole...
Those are the ones i tell unsuspecting people i caught it with my hands... :lol:
Ive never had one shot front on that didnt fall over right there.

I have heard them give a screech out with the occasional miss-placed shot though...not a nice sound... :thumbsdown:

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2020, 10:03 pm

Lucky chihuahua......never easy trying to spell chihuahua
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 04 Nov 2020, 12:03 am

NTSOG
Watch this video may change you mind about Hare personally I think better than rabbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvk1wkJ ... l=ScottRea
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 04 Nov 2020, 3:08 pm

G'day pomemax and thanks for directing me to the presentation on preparing Hare. You are the only person who has suggested to me that they are worth eating, though I know that the Poms do eat them. [My mother was a Pom, but we never ate hare.] As the video shows [and I have learned when dismembering the beasties], they pack a lot of really solid muscle into a small frame. My dog is loving them, but perhaps those back straps are too good for a dog. I'll talk to the chef.

Bladeracer did the bullet go through your mother's dog on the outside of the ribcage, but under the skin or inside the ribcage? I have to ask who was it who mistook the chihuahua for a rabbit or similar?

J. D.: As for looking for the fox in the blackberries along a creek in spring - it was a very quick look and I only ventured in a couple of feet before deciding that the snakes could have the fox.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control