Best way to lure/bait and trap feral cats.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Best way to lure/bait and trap feral cats.

Post by Blr243 » 07 Dec 2020, 3:04 pm

Saw a beautiful brown cat the other day on my way to work in a residential area. Cat was sitting in his front yard. Big Beautiful chocolate brown and white. Fluffy. Seen In the bush I would hesitate five secs prior to shooting because he was so pretty. Most attractive cat I ever seen. Would have made a very attractive skin
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Dec 2020, 4:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I reckon you've got a soft spot for moggies.
I bet you never squeezed on the big black one that was collecting for the red cross either,,,,, :lol:

A good cat is a dead cat.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2020, 6:47 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MrClicky » 03 Jan 2021, 9:42 am

Oldbloke wrote:I just found this pdf. Hope the link works

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... NQMOsCKykc

Thanks oldbloke, very useful :thumbsup:
MrClicky
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2021, 2:44 pm

I think if cats were the most amazeing trophy or gave us a massive sense of achievement when we get one, we would probably put some effort into studying them and patterning them , tracking them ....but because they are just a cat, we just line them up when we see them , and feel a bit better about Helping our native animals.....occasionally I have a stupid fantasy of shooting a big panther and selling the story and photos to the media , nothing wrong with that
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Jan 2021, 8:40 pm

If my wife's cat is anything to go off, the best way to catch a cat is simply throw a box on the ground
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by macjeffrey » 06 Feb 2021, 4:52 pm

I may be late on this but a freshly shot dead rabbit rarely fails to deliver a cat. Especially if the rabbits guts are exposed. Trap is hook type with rabbit cable tied on. Pull on hook and down falls the front door. 22 does the rest. Have caught a few foxes too but mostly cats. Once got a double header, with one cat in the trap and it’s mate sitting outside.
macjeffrey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by stihl88 » 17 Aug 2023, 9:19 am

When my father had a cunning cat he couldn't catch on normal tin food he'd whip out the KFC of all things, it was like Catnip on steroids to Cats.

He was a pro-trapper in the high country for 26 years if that vouches for anything...
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2023, 9:55 am

stihl88 wrote:When my father had a cunning cat he couldn't catch on normal tin food he'd whip out the KFC of all things, it was like Catnip on steroids to Cats.

He was a pro-trapper in the high country for 26 years if that vouches for anything...

Interesting. I've heard the same of foxes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 18 Aug 2023, 6:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
stihl88 wrote:When my father had a cunning cat he couldn't catch on normal tin food he'd whip out the KFC of all things, it was like Catnip on steroids to Cats.

Interesting. I've heard the same of foxes.

And some Humans!
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 22 Aug 2023, 1:12 pm

Yep, KFC works well. Funny thing is that some species of ants dont like it. Which is a bonus, but a worry!

(I have been a professional for 42 years so that makes your dad a youngster :lol: )
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by stihl88 » 22 Aug 2023, 4:12 pm

animalpest wrote:

Yep, KFC works well. Funny thing is that some species of ants dont like it. Which is a bonus, but a worry!

(I have been a professional for 42 years so that makes your dad a youngster :lol: )

Actually he Donald J Trumps you by about 5 years... He was a pro trapper (Government role) for 26 years focusing on wild dogs/dingo's and feral cats then went private-pro for another 21 years.

Yeah that's a worry, some of us Homo sapiens seem to like it more than others also!
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 22 Aug 2023, 6:48 pm

I have found the humble roadhouse wingding to suffice as a KFC substitute when you are too far from the Colonel's radius, as I often am.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by macjeffrey » 22 Aug 2023, 11:09 pm

I have found a freshly shot dead rabbit with its guts hanging out cable tied in a hook cage trap works very well
macjeffrey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control