Dumb fox pup

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Dumb fox pup

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2021, 12:59 pm

We moved our rabbits down to the front garden last week. I heard them thumping like mad at about 0100 this morning.
Went out to investigate and this little dummy was doing laps around the cage looking for a way in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUau_1RAvho

He let me walk up to ten-feet of him, then when I turned back he came up behind me. This happened numerous times.
Very curious little devil. Looks very healthy, with a beautiful tail, but perhaps a bit hungry.
He hung around for a couple hours with me going out every time the rabbits started thumping. He was even at the back door once, probably looking to see where I kept appearing from.
Very friendly fellow :-)

I guess tonight I'm sleeping with a rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Dumb fox pup

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2021, 1:09 pm

Unless the fox is reading this topic, he needs to really enjoy himself today , because it’s probably his last
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 10 Jan 2021, 1:36 pm

Yep Darwin Award.
I get the cubs easy year after year. Mum calls them from one side of the creek. There’s only three places they can cross to come home.
Such is life if you’re a fox.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 3:30 pm

Yep, they are out. Shot a cub last week. But then I seem to only get the dumb ones. LOL
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 10 Jan 2021, 3:39 pm

how late do your foxes come out the den over there?? the last seasons pups here are all grown up now.....
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2021, 3:49 pm

Ziege wrote:how late do your foxes come out the den over there?? the last seasons pups here are all grown up now.....

Been quite a few young ones around lately, might've been locked down due to Covid ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 4:54 pm

yep, seems to vary. Been seeing road kill for about 4 weeks now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 10 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm

We see them out of the den in Oct here... so by now they are either dead or educated, my retard neighbor cant shoot to save himself and I am literally considering forcing him to pay for baits cos by this time every year the side of the property bordering his is rife with educated foxes that you cant get onto at any hour, he owns a shotgun and a buggy and never hits anything he aims at

so literally the sound of an engine, headlights, spotlights, etc all spark them to run as fast as they can, we can drive them out of a bit of bush nearby but its really pointless as he just educates even more of them all year. haven't heard anyone that has ever gone shooting on his place (with him he wont have it any other way) that will give testament to him ever hitting anything he shoots at...

anyway rant over... foxes are out months earlier over here than there....
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 11 Jan 2021, 4:12 pm

Hi Guys
I went out with the wife spot lighting one evening. Yes Yes I know its not the right thing to do, taking the wife, she will only winge and whine, and she did.
I left her in the car for just a minute, yes one minute, with my 243. :crazy:
I went for a walk over a ridge. She never used this rifle before. Well I hear a crack, a moment later another crack and a moment later another crack.
I walked back and there my was wife, holding 3 cubs.
One walked out of the bushes about 70meters in front of the 4 x 4, began playing around, she introduced it to the 243, its sidling, fearing it was missing out on all the fun, wanted to see what was going on, and the missus introduced it to the 243, the last cub couldn't resist, so the missus added it to her evening collection.

That evening I got NOTHING :roll:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2021, 6:18 pm

Young uns. It’s as if the young cubs, willingly donate their lives to the earth
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 11 Jan 2021, 7:28 pm

Bello: "That evening I got NOTHING."

Well yes you did: you learned to never take your wife with you on any recreational activity that you like to do by yourself or with the lads.

By the way did she give you the rifle back or is it now painted a nice camouflage pink for her to use?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 12 Jan 2021, 5:07 am

Hi NTSOG
I did get the rifle back :lol:
The wife doesn't like to shoot anymore. She prefers going horse riding.
funny thing is, she is a good shot the ol girl.

My wife has the luck of the Irish, except in lotto.
I took her hunting once when she was just the girlfriend at that time, we were both young.
I had my trusty JW15A 22LR she had a Ruger 10/22 22LR.
I shot 2 rabbits and she took a few shots with no luck. She started complaining that the rifle wasn't accurate, blah blah blah.
After that she got 21 straight, I once again got nothing else.
I took the rabbits she shot, tied them to a fence and took a photo (For the young ones out there, we used cameras and film back then in the old days...lol)

If we go fishing...guess who catches the most fish...yep the missus.
once it was so embarrassing at fishing, she gave fish she caught to people fishing beside her as they got nothing.

Sorry I hijacked this thread... :(
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 12 Jan 2021, 5:50 am

Bello: "The wife doesn't like to shoot anymore. She prefers going horse riding."

My wife rides three horses daily and spends more money on them than I will ever know. The good thing about that is that I can buy any shooting 'toy' I want without any comeback from her.

As for foxes I've only shot two in the last 5 weeks - the only ones I've seen, though I have been out and about at different places. My trail cameras at my bait sites are showing irregular visits very late at night so there is no predicting them.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 12 Jan 2021, 9:15 am

Hi Jim
Have you tried whistling them in.
I have had moderate success doing this.
I have recently purchased a thermal for my fox outings.

I agree with the horse expenses, between agistment, feed, shoes, shots, saddles teeth, helmets, rugs etc etc, I could have been rich :lol:
My daughters and wife are mad about horses not to mention the dogs :x
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 12 Jan 2021, 4:28 pm

G'day Bello,

Yes horses drain a bank account very quickly - and you left out veterinary costs - the last crook horse cost $11,000 to fix! [If we had children they would have been sold by now to support the horses.] About the only sporting/recreational activity more expensive is ocean [yacht] racing, best described as standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills.

As for whistling I've been squeaking and blowing a variety of noise makers as well as using my Icotec caller. The last couple I shot did come out to the caller and the yellow T2 whistle, but the last three times I went out nothing came to see what idiot was making all the noise. I'm just not seeing the blighters, though this morning while out training on my road bike I did get a strong whiff of a couple at the roadside next to a property on which I shoot.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 6:48 pm

NTSOG wrote:
As for whistling I've been squeaking and blowing a variety of noise makers as well as using my Icotec caller. The last couple I shot did come out to the caller and the yellow T2 whistle, but the last three times I went out nothing came to see what idiot was making all the noise. I'm just not seeing the blighters, though this morning while out training on my road bike I did get a strong whiff of a couple at the roadside next to a property on which I shoot.

Jim

I've come to the conclusion its a lot like fishing. Some times they simply aren't biting..
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 13 Jan 2021, 10:19 am

Oldbloke: "I've come to the conclusion its a lot like fishing. Some times they simply aren't biting."

I reckon you're right, but the damned mozzies were the other night when the wind dropped.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 15 Jan 2021, 2:37 am

update?
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia