The dog that refused to die

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Feb 2021, 11:28 pm

100_5848.JPG
100_5848.JPG (376.58 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Got this bitch yesterday.
That makes two for the week.
This particular one had been seen on numerous occasions by the property owner in the same general locality, and at the same time,,
in broad daylight hours.
I had made about a dozen trips out during the past fortnight, and in daylight,, but never sighted it.
I also made 3 overnighters, and sighted it twice but was always a long distance off.

On Thursday night I spotted it only 200 meters out at 11pm just as it dropped into a creek bed and disappeared from view.
Then, at 12 MN it reappeared in almost the exact same spot, but this time up on a big log.
As it got near the end of the log it stopped for a look around and I squeezed off a round.
Much to my disappointment, I clean missed.
Resigned to never seeing it again,, I stayed on.

At precisely 4 am it bounded into view, chasing a roo, and then gave up the chase and sat watching,,, as the roo kept on going.
Approx 250 meters,, and I fired again.
Hitting it in the spine above the shoulder, it went down,,, but then raised its head again momentarily before collapsing.
I waited till the sun rose, then ventured out to check it out.
Much to my amazement when 30 feet away,,,,,, it tried to sit up and was baying and growling at me.
I spun around and trotted back to the ute and got the rifle,, then headed back, and while it was growling, shot it a second time straight into the frontal chest.

It went down, and I walked over to it and gave a gentle kick, but it was all limp.

I bent down and grabbed a front paw,,, rolled it over to see that it was a bitch.
Then, rather than carry it I went and got the ute.
Upon returning, and as I pulled up alongside of it,, I got the shock of my life as it again tried to sit up, and was growling at the ute.

I got out, and fired yet again (3rd round) straight into the back of the head.

This time it completely ran out of life.
I think from now on I'll do head shots first up, or do a follow up brain shot before getting too close.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by wrenchman » 07 Feb 2021, 3:05 am

thats a dog that was tough it was not milk heavy did you check her teeth was she a old dry one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1162
United States of America

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2021, 8:50 am

Supermut met its end.....in the end.
User avatar
Bugman
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 420
New South Wales

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2021, 9:25 am

IMO stick to chest shots. When approaching poke them in the eye with a stick or rifle barrel. Shoot again if required.

You will regret it if you hit one in the jaw and it run off.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6641
Victoria

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2021, 10:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:IMO stick to chest shots. When approaching poke them in the eye with a stick or rifle barrel. Shoot again if required.

You will regret it if you hit one in the jaw and it run off.


I was amazed that it didn't bleed out and die after the 1st shot,, cos what you can't see (in the pic) is a hole almost big enough that my
fist would've slipped into, where the spine used to be.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2021, 10:18 am

wrenchman wrote:thats a dog that was tough it was not milk heavy did you check her teeth was she a old dry one


She would've been approx 2-3 year old, and the one I got last week nearby, was only approx 10 to 12 months old.

On one of the occasions she was seen by the property owner two weeks ago ( 10 am ) she was carrying a dead possum, but dropped it and
never returned for it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Elmer » 14 Feb 2021, 9:32 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_5848.JPG
Got this bitch yesterday.
That makes two for the week.
This particular one had been seen on numerous occasions by the property owner in the same general locality, and at the same time,,
in broad daylight hours.
I had made about a dozen trips out during the past fortnight, and in daylight,, but never sighted it.
I also made 3 overnighters, and sighted it twice but was always a long distance off.

On Thursday night I spotted it only 200 meters out at 11pm just as it dropped into a creek bed and disappeared from view.
Then, at 12 MN it reappeared in almost the exact same spot, but this time up on a big log.
As it got near the end of the log it stopped for a look around and I squeezed off a round.
Much to my disappointment, I clean missed.
Resigned to never seeing it again,, I stayed on.

At precisely 4 am it bounded into view, chasing a roo, and then gave up the chase and sat watching,,, as the roo kept on going.
Approx 250 meters,, and I fired again.
Hitting it in the spine above the shoulder, it went down,,, but then raised its head again momentarily before collapsing.
I waited till the sun rose, then ventured out to check it out.
Much to my amazement when 30 feet away,,,,,, it tried to sit up and was baying and growling at me.
I spun around and trotted back to the ute and got the rifle,, then headed back, and while it was growling, shot it a second time straight into the frontal chest.

It went down, and I walked over to it and gave a gentle kick, but it was all limp.

I bent down and grabbed a front paw,,, rolled it over to see that it was a bitch.
Then, rather than carry it I went and got the ute.
Upon returning, and as I pulled up alongside of it,, I got the shock of my life as it again tried to sit up, and was growling at the ute.

I got out, and fired yet again (3rd round) straight into the back of the head.

This time it completely ran out of life.
I think from now on I'll do head shots first up, or do a follow up brain shot before getting too close.

Bloody hell mate, Terminator dog, incredible how some animals can absorb kilos of lead and still keep kicking.
I once shot a roo with the .260 at 400, the red whent down but when I got there he jumped up and stood there looking at me.
I grabbed my .22 and put a round into its scone, he still stood , then another, and finally on the third shot the bullet managed to make its way to grey matter
To be honest , I felt like a c..t but s**t they're tough.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 632
South Australia

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Elmer » 14 Feb 2021, 9:33 pm

Elmer wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
100_5848.JPG
Got this bitch yesterday.
That makes two for the week.
This particular one had been seen on numerous occasions by the property owner in the same general locality, and at the same time,,
in broad daylight hours.
I had made about a dozen trips out during the past fortnight, and in daylight,, but never sighted it.
I also made 3 overnighters, and sighted it twice but was always a long distance off.

On Thursday night I spotted it only 200 meters out at 11pm just as it dropped into a creek bed and disappeared from view.
Then, at 12 MN it reappeared in almost the exact same spot, but this time up on a big log.
As it got near the end of the log it stopped for a look around and I squeezed off a round.
Much to my disappointment, I clean missed.
Resigned to never seeing it again,, I stayed on.

At precisely 4 am it bounded into view, chasing a roo, and then gave up the chase and sat watching,,, as the roo kept on going.
Approx 250 meters,, and I fired again.
Hitting it in the spine above the shoulder, it went down,,, but then raised its head again momentarily before collapsing.
I waited till the sun rose, then ventured out to check it out.
Much to my amazement when 30 feet away,,,,,, it tried to sit up and was baying and growling at me.
I spun around and trotted back to the ute and got the rifle,, then headed back, and while it was growling, shot it a second time straight into the frontal chest.

It went down, and I walked over to it and gave a gentle kick, but it was all limp.

I bent down and grabbed a front paw,,, rolled it over to see that it was a bitch.
Then, rather than carry it I went and got the ute.
Upon returning, and as I pulled up alongside of it,, I got the shock of my life as it again tried to sit up, and was growling at the ute.

I got out, and fired yet again (3rd round) straight into the back of the head.

This time it completely ran out of life.
I think from now on I'll do head shots first up, or do a follow up brain shot before getting too close.

Bloody hell mate, Terminator dog, incredible how some animals can absorb kilos of lead and still keep kicking.
I once shot a roo with the .260 at 400, the red whent down but when I got there he jumped up and stood there looking at me.
I grabbed my .22 and put a round into its scone, he still stood , then another, and finally on the third shot the bullet managed to make its way to grey matter
To be honest , I felt like a c..t but s**t they're tough.

By the way, has anyone seen my dog? It's a light tan colour lol.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 632
South Australia

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Feb 2021, 10:45 am

Lessons leant there, Eh?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Feb 2021, 10:26 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Lessons leant there, Eh?


At this point excuse me if I do a "Pauline Hanson"

Please explain ?????????????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 Feb 2021, 11:13 pm

Yes a wild dog is one of the toughest animals i've come across in my life time , i've almost been caught myself, shot it at about 50-70yds drove over, had a quick drink of water hopped out and bent over to pick it up by it's back feet, as i did it lunged up from a laying position and snapped at my face it got that close i could smell it's breath, never been or never will be caught like that again, i was careless and almost paid the ultimate price, i thought it was dead as it had almost half it's right shoulder blown off, the bullet had entered from the other side going straight through removing half the off side shoulder. I've hunted dogs for many years and should have known better than to approach a recently shot dog the way i did, so DJ any one can be caught mate.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 372
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2021, 12:43 am

Die Judicii wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Lessons leant there, Eh?


At this point excuse me if I do a "Pauline Hanson"

Please explain ?????????????


Ah yes,,,,,, sorry RoginaJack,, the penny has dropped.
I was off course, thinking you might be disagreeing with my shot placement. My mistake. :oops:

And yes, I did learn a lesson.
It could so easily have latched on to my face.
As it was, I was thinking of carrying it back to the ute,,,,,, so glad I didn't.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland

Re: The dog that refused to die

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Feb 2021, 1:11 pm

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 61 times


I didn't post this (the other side) pic originally due to it's graphic nature, but now here it is.
So again I wonder how come it wasn't an instant kill,, or at the least, death in a few minutes ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2352
Queensland


Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control