Calling foxes DIY

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Calling foxes DIY

Post by Skinna » 04 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OK I think problem solved.
Shopping with the Mrs today in the Reject shop. Sheesh. (happy wife happy life. :D )
Anyway $20 Bluetooth speaker. And its 10w.
Girl in the shop said it wouldn't speak and just tried it. Only a couple of fairly loud beeps. (not ideal)

Doesn't seem to turn off either if left. But charging at the moment.

Pretty loud. I'll try it in a couple of days. Will switch on as I leave the ute to go for a walk avoiding the beep in the field.

Dave, I couldn't find an app to turn off talking for the other speaker so it will be used in the man cave.

Speaker.jpeg

Been there done that.

Make sure the batts have plenty in them...had mine beep indicating the battery was low, just as a fox came out of the mallee cover... :lol:

I laugh now, but was furious at the time...after a couple of hours stuffing around with this speaker & wandering the hills only for the flat battery warning to fuk me over, i fantasised about inserting a field load of #4's into the battery compartment at 12 paces.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

Lol.
Problem solved.

The one with the orange handle is from kmart. (If you use a lead it "speaks" eg low battery, xyz mode, etc, so can't recommend it.) Can use it only as Bluetooth, then it just beeps when it connects and low batt it says "low battery, recharge". Also not very loud.

The other from the reject shop. Better and louder than the one with the handle. (Only beeps, never "speaks") only beeps when you initially turn it on and a low batt warning. Both rechargeable and about $20.

Sooo, ensure fully charged and turn on at start of hunt, don't turn off till end of hunt.

Having said that I'm inclined to think the Tenterfield is better

Speakers.jpeg
Speakers.jpeg (253.54 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 04 Jul 2021, 9:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Bello wrote:Hi all
I was talking to an ol cockie some time ago and he mentioned to me that, at certain times of the year the whistling doesn’t work.
I can’t remember if it was around breading time.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or dispel this.

Yep,, and another time you will have a lot of difficulty whistling or calling em in is when there are a lot of crickets about.
They cannot resist crickets,,, its like a drug for em.
As a teenager I had a pet one that lived for many years till a cancer claimed him.
But during the summer months when crickets were in abundance he would refuse his regular best favorite tucker (fresh chicken necks) in
preference to live crickets.

DJ, how did those electronic callers go that you bought from me?
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2021, 9:17 pm

Well, I'm going to blame the mice and crickets in future. :lol: :lol:

I'm convinced it the same as fishing. Often just not biting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2021, 11:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Lol.
Problem solved.

The one with the orange handle is from kmart. (If you use a lead it "speaks" eg low battery, xyz mode, etc, so can't recommend it.) Can use it only as Bluetooth, then it just beeps when it connects and low batt it says "low battery, recharge". Also not very loud.

The other from the reject shop. Better and louder than the one with the handle. (Only beeps, never "speaks") only beeps when you initially turn it on and a low batt warning. Both rechargeable and about $20.

Sooo, ensure fully charged and turn on at start of hunt, don't turn off till end of hunt.

Speakers.jpeg

So,,,,,,,,,,, it really does work ???????????

Uh Oh,,,,,,,, I thought this was about women. Doh :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm

Lol. Your a funny bugger DJ. :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2021, 11:29 pm

Elmer wrote:DJ, how did those electronic callers go that you bought from me?

Hiya Mate,,,,,,,,,
In answer to your question,,, I had mixed results
a) I got nothing for many nights.
b) I had the same problem that plagues a lot of these things,, was struggling to get full darkness hours out of the batteries
c) Then suddenly one night I had both a fox and a dog come charging in to it from opposite sides simultaneously.
I was so dumbfounded and indecision took over.
I in the split seconds I opted for the dog, and clean missed. (I think they call that "fur fever" :thumbsdown: :lol:

Then I had no further success, and fell victim to the advertising of the ICOtec Hellion,,,,, of which I shoulda saved my dollars.
Choc a Bloc full of "American" calls which I find worse than useless,, and have had no luck at all with it.

If anyone ever produced a caller in Aus,,,,, with Aus calls/sounds I reckon it would sell well.

The yankee sounds quite simply do not cut the mustard here in Aussie
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2021, 11:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Lol. Your a funny bugger DJ. :)

I try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but have been told I'm "not relevant" :lol: :lol: :lol: :silent: :wtf:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2021, 11:35 pm

"Choc a Bloc full of "American" calls which I find worse than useless,, and have had no luck at all with it.

If anyone ever produced a caller in Aus,,,,, with Aus calls/sounds I reckon it would sell well.

The yankee sounds quite simply do not cut the mustard here in Aussie"

That's why I refuse to buy one.

We need a realistic squealing rabbit.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2021, 11:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
We need a realistic squealing rabbit.

Looked at your Avatar lately ??????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 05 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

Young foxes will do dumb things sometimes , I have had them come in and just sit there 25 meters out . Older foxes that might have been shot at before can be very smart and extremely cautious . If they are very hungry they come in quicker . If there is no rabbits around at all in the area then the foxes may get suspicious of a rabbit squeal , then try something else . A mate of mine would rub a piece of Styrofoam on the window glass and it seemed to work , at close range anyway . I think new hunters should practice whistling under a spotlight first as I found that easier to get results than with day time calling . If you have a mate to help that is or use a walk about scope mounted light if you are a reasonable standing shot .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control