Calling foxes DIY

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Calling foxes DIY

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 4:41 pm

I've been whistling foxes for a few years with mixed results. Getting into it more now that im retired. As I've said, bit like fishing. Some times they bite, mostly they don't. Lol But I like it.

I was looking at Foxpro's (& other callers) on the net today and certainly not cheap for what they are. Just a speaker and some cheap circuits.

Sooo, anyway I tried a blue tooth speaker a while back with my mobile. BUT, they seem to tell you in a loud voice you have turned them on, or batt is low. A complete PITA. Last thing you want, a speaker yelling out, I'm turned on, or I'm in this mode. Lol And I think not quite loud enough.

Soo, wondering what others may have had success with DIY. I was thinking a loud speaker, perhaps with a small amp. (https://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#El-Cheapo)

Or perhaps a megaphone that has a 3.5mm input plug and connect to a mobile. I think they have an internal amplifier.

tempFileForShare_20210321-161248_920795347039574.jpg
tempFileForShare_20210321-161248_920795347039574.jpg (162.44 KiB) Viewed 7027 times

Both are pretty cheap. So, what's worked for you?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Calling foxes DIY

Post by NTSOG » 21 Mar 2021, 4:59 pm

G'day,

No DYI for me when it comes to electronics. I use an Icotec 350 and a variety of commercial whistles, tweeters and honkers. I'm getting a few in, but there is no predictability in it. They seem to completely ignore me or charge in like an express train - there's no 'in-between', though there were two beggars a few days ago who sat in range on a neighbouring property in a field of stubble and simply looked at me and wouldn't come into 'legal' territory on the property where I was hunting. If I was fishing I would blame the variable 'bite' on the tide changing.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 5:18 pm

Yep I have 6 or 7 whistles and callers of various types.

And I have doubts that spending $300 or so on a foxpro or other electronic caller will guarantee anything.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 21 Mar 2021, 6:07 pm

Hi all
I was talking to an ol cockie some time ago and he mentioned to me that, at certain times of the year the whistling doesn’t work.
I can’t remember if it was around breading time.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or dispel this.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 21 Mar 2021, 6:27 pm

None of my Mobile phone app animal sound rabbit distress type thingys that I Bluetooth to a small external speaker give out any sounds other than the rabbit squeaking....there’s no alarms, beeps or low battery warnings whatsoever ....I bought a speaker that is flat like a cigarette packet rather than round like an orange. It fits into pockets and mini back packs with ease , and plays sound in one direction only. I don’t need 360 degree sound when I’m sitting with the wind in my face. It need only point forward. ...I don’t think I would lash out for a big professional unit unless I got serious about Chaseing wild dogs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Mar 2021, 6:30 pm

Pursed lips kissing squeaking sounds are the best I reckon when the range is short.....no hand movement, no equipment needed and u can vary the sounds as much as u want
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 6:44 pm

I bought 2 and both start talking s**t when you turn them on.

E.g
Speaker is on.
Battery is low
Currently in xyz mode.
And its fuking loud.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Mar 2021, 7:46 pm

Game and pest calls Australia !,,,,,,It has rabbit distress calls on it. I think I have a few apps. I bought it prom the App Store or I tunes. I don’t know ....it’s not something I really use in the field But I know it dies not give me away in the field with unwanted noises. I mainly use pig calling apps In the bush. . And they don’t give me away either
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 7:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I've been whistling foxes for a few years with mixed results. Getting into it more now that im retired. As I've said, bit like fishing. Some times they bite, mostly they don't. Lol But I like it.

I was looking at Foxpro's (& other callers) on the net today and certainly not cheap for what they are. Just a speaker and some cheap circuits.

Sooo, anyway I tried a blue tooth speaker a while back with my mobile. BUT, they seem to tell you in a loud voice you have turned them on, or batt is low. A complete PITA. Last thing you want, a speaker yelling out, I'm turned on, or I'm in this mode. Lol And I think not quite loud enough.

Soo, wondering what others may have had success with DIY. I was thinking a loud speaker, perhaps with a small amp. (https://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#El-Cheapo)

Or perhaps a megaphone that has a 3.5mm input plug and connect to a mobile. I think they have an internal amplifier.

I have a primos apha dogg, older model circa 2012, its awesome, they have a call on there called "coyote pup distress" its brilliant, foxes cant seem to help themselves, me and the old man spent a total of 45 mins setting up and waiting in 3 different spots got a total of 4 with one extra running off after a shot having not been spotted by us in the long grass, I wont use anything but that and a tenterfield now
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 7:53 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

No DYI for me when it comes to electronics. I use an Icotec 350 and a variety of commercial whistles, tweeters and honkers. I'm getting a few in, but there is no predictability in it. They seem to completely ignore me or charge in like an express train - there's no 'in-between', though there were two beggars a few days ago who sat in range on a neighbouring property in a field of stubble and simply looked at me and wouldn't come into 'legal' territory on the property where I was hunting. If I was fishing I would blame the variable 'bite' on the tide changing.

Jim

I had the icotec IC300 or GC300 again older model circa 2010, same deal coyote pup distress worked on there every time nearly, but the american version of a rabbit never did. dunno what the genus differences are but their rabbits sound absolutely nothing like the ones here.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 8:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I bought 2 and both start talking s**t when you turn them on.

E.g
Speaker is on.
Battery is low
Currently in xyz mode.
And its fuking loud.

I have owned 4 electric callers, all different brands, and none of them have had any alarms, voice, warnings or weird ass sounds when you use them, only the game calls, I dunno what ones you have bought but sounding very china to me.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 8:29 pm

I already have plenty of distress calls in mp3 format.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 8:33 pm

Ziege.

Oldbloke wrote:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 9:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Ziege.

Oldbloke wrote:

aaah kk that was back in the tldr section
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by NTSOG » 22 Mar 2021, 9:27 am

Ziege: "... but their rabbits sound absolutely nothing like the ones here."

I've wondered if American rabbits have a different 'accent' from UK and from Australian and so on and how Australian foxes might perceive 'foreign' animal noises broadcast through an Icotec caller or similar. Yet some of the calls I have been sent by UK shooters have worked well through my Icotec.

I stumbled across this European [Norwegian] site over the weekend:

https://www.clausengamecalls.com/learn-how-to-call-1

It's interesting to see and hear how he and others in Europe use calls and with success. The same issue of how similar animals from different climes/continents hear and perceive the squeaks and squawks we broadcast applies. It may be that a fox will come in because a noise maker is so different its novelty arouses curiosity.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 22 Mar 2021, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 22 Mar 2021, 10:09 am

What brand of bluetooth speaker is it? Sometimes you can download an app to control the speaker with and change internal settings. I have done that on my UE Megaboom so it is now silent. I can turn it on and off remotely with no sounds and play calls through it.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 10:21 am

DaveZ wrote:What brand of bluetooth speaker is it? Sometimes you can download an app to control the speaker with and change internal settings. I have done that on my UE Megaboom so it is now silent. I can turn it on and off remotely with no sounds and play calls through it.

Its just a cheapie from kmart. But thanks Dave. Good idea.
I'll look into it when I get home next week.

What's the app your using if you don't mind.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 10:49 am

Well, Clause is a interesting bloke. Was good to watch how he blows the calls. I had no idea you can do that.

You can make them pretty easy. I got a fox using a duck caller near a dam a couple of years back. You just never know. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 4:24 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 22 Mar 2021, 5:59 pm

The app is specific to the manufacturer ie Ultimate Ears. I think it's just called "Boom", the app that controls mine. It used to make a god awful racket when it switched itself off.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 6:12 pm

Thanks Dave. Its worth a try. I'll follow up next week.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Empie » 22 Mar 2021, 9:56 pm

It was a bit of a handful of gear, though I called up a dingo at night via a set of 240v computer speakers on a 300w inverter off the car battery, with sound input from an .mp3 player file of a dingo howling. Now I use a FoxPro hellfire bought from the US when the AUD was worth more than USD. I would imagine either hardware setup would work on foxes with a fox or prey in distress sound.
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Mar 2021, 12:35 pm

There's plenty of distress call apps in the app store.
Perhaps playing those calls through a Bluetooth speaker would be a good option.
You could sit the speaker well away from your position and lure them to that.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2021, 4:27 pm

OK I think problem solved.
Shopping with the Mrs today in the Reject shop. Sheesh. (happy wife happy life. :D )
Anyway $20 Bluetooth speaker. And its 10w.
Girl in the shop said it wouldn't speak and just tried it. Only a couple of fairly loud beeps. (not ideal)

Doesn't seem to turn off either if left. But charging at the moment.

Pretty loud. I'll try it in a couple of days. Will switch on as I leave the ute to go for a walk avoiding the beep in the field.

Dave, I couldn't find an app to turn off talking for the other speaker so it will be used in the man cave.

Speaker.jpeg
Speaker.jpeg (232.28 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 29 Mar 2021, 3:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I've been whistling foxes for a few years with mixed results. Getting into it more now that im retired. As I've said, bit like fishing. Some times they bite, mostly they don't. Lol But I like it.

I once tried a YouTube vid on my phone of a screaming rabbit, it goes for about 10 mins with no voice overs and is absolutely gut wrenching
Didnt see any foxes ,they were busy calling the ambo for the poor bunny lol.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2021, 3:40 pm

Yeh, I have screaming rabbit and a few others.
Its actually the speaker that "talks".

But the new one only beeps. Nothing to do with the mobile or recordings.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 02 Jul 2021, 7:14 am

Ziege: "... they have a call on there called "coyote pup distress" its brilliant, foxes cant seem to help themselves, me and the old man spent a total of 45 mins setting up and waiting in 3 different spots got a total of 4 with one extra running off after a shot having not been spotted by us in the long grass, I wont use anything but that and a tenterfield now."

I tried a coyote call last night for the first time after playing a number of other calls on my Icotec 350: mouse, hare, vixen, lamb and so on over 50 minutes. The one fox I saw at 150+ yards ignored every call and disappeared into the scrub. I played a coyote call for the first time and a fox came in after 4 minutes or so to sit about 60 yards from the caller sitting facing it. It seemed very calm and curious and gave me an easy shot with the .22 magnum. I assume that the coyote call is a novel sound and foxes are simply curious as to what sort of 'food' makes the noise.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 02 Jul 2021, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jul 2021, 10:33 am

Bello wrote:Hi all
I was talking to an ol cockie some time ago and he mentioned to me that, at certain times of the year the whistling doesn’t work.
I can’t remember if it was around breading time.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or dispel this.

Yep,, and another time you will have a lot of difficulty whistling or calling em in is when there are a lot of crickets about.
They cannot resist crickets,,, its like a drug for em.
As a teenager I had a pet one that lived for many years till a cancer claimed him.
But during the summer months when crickets were in abundance he would refuse his regular best favorite tucker (fresh chicken necks) in
preference to live crickets.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 03 Jul 2021, 6:37 am

What is the best free app you have found for calling dogs in???
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 04 Jul 2021, 12:12 pm

NTSOG wrote:Ziege: "... they have a call on there called "coyote pup distress" its brilliant, foxes cant seem to help themselves, me and the old man spent a total of 45 mins setting up and waiting in 3 different spots got a total of 4 with one extra running off after a shot having not been spotted by us in the long grass, I wont use anything but that and a tenterfield now."

I tried a coyote call last night for the first time after playing a number of other calls on my Icotec 350: mouse, hare, vixen, lamb and so on over 50 minutes. The one fox I saw at 150+ yards ignored every call and disappeared into the scrub. I played a coyote call for the first time and a fox came in after 4 minutes or so to sit about 60 yards from the caller sitting facing it. It seemed very calm and curious and gave me an easy shot with the .22 magnum. I assume that the coyote call is a novel sound and foxes are simply curious as to what sort of 'food' makes the noise.

Jim

May have been a young male looking for a partner Jim.
If i had to guess id say it thought it might be another fox rather than anything else, & came in out of curiosity.
Cheers
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control