One SPECTACULAR shot

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

One SPECTACULAR shot

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Apr 2021, 9:11 pm

100_5865.JPG
100_5865.JPG (701.92 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
100_5860.JPG
100_5860.JPG (528.77 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

One of these two oinkers is the result of one spectacular shot that I'll most likely never be able to repeat or do better.

From where I was set up, you can see an ironbark tree close to the ute, and then slightly to the right of that there is another smaller tree
some distance beyond that is triple forked.
The two pigs were walking from left to right in the far distance on the other side of a small valley. Lasered distance in full daylight was 410 meters.

The first of the two pigs was shot to the left of the forked tree.

The second pig then actually completely stopped walking,,, as it passed behind the forked tree,, and all I could see was its thermal white
shoulder right at the base of the Vee shaped left fork.
I hesitated waiting for it to step fully out from behind the forked tree, but it just stood there and didn't move.

So I took a punt on accuracy and fired at the tiny bit of white chest that I could see thru the base of the fork in the tree.

To my utter amazement it fell over stone motherless dead.

Both pigs were clean one shot kills.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: One SPECTACULAR shot

Post by duncan61 » 09 Apr 2021, 9:15 pm

You have to love it when a plan comes together
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2021, 9:32 pm

Thumbs-up .jpg
Thumbs-up .jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 09 Apr 2021, 9:47 pm

Great shooting. What caliber?
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Apr 2021, 9:56 pm

Peter988 wrote:Great shooting. What caliber?

Thanks,, was using Factory load Hornady Vee Max in 22/250
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scoot » 09 Apr 2021, 10:22 pm

Until I read your text I thought you might have got a 2 for 1 deal. 1 round 2 dead pigs. Still good but...... :thumbsup:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2021, 10:32 pm

Cleavers had that hornady v max 22250 on special for a while factory ammo less than a dollar per shot. I bought a stack of it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2021, 10:42 pm

Good shooting dj. I saw a spec of gold behind a tiny bush once maybe 15 m away ....I looked long and hard at it It was probably the size of a 20 cent piece. The bush was so small that it could not conceal stock , there were no gold coloured animals or birds in the area Other than fox or cat and I knew the area very well. All the farmers dogs were locked up 5 k away ....so I shot it. Walked over to see , and a fox lay still. He was Sitting but erect and peeking thru the bush at me and thought he was well hidden. Years ago I had amazeing eyesight and I saw everting, nothing escaped
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 09 Apr 2021, 10:53 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_5865.JPG
100_5860.JPG

One of these two oinkers is the result of one spectacular shot that I'll most likely never be able to repeat :thumbsup: or do better.

From where I was set up, you can see an ironbark tree close to the ute, and then slightly to the right of that there is another smaller tree
some distance beyond that is triple forked.
The two pigs were walking from left to right in the far distance on the other side of a small valley. Lasered distance in full daylight was 410 meters.

The first of the two pigs was shot to the left of the forked tree.

The second pig then actually completely stopped walking,,, as it passed behind the forked tree,, and all I could see was its thermal white
shoulder right at the base of the Vee shaped left fork.
I hesitated waiting for it to step fully out from behind the forked tree, but it just stood there and didn't move.

So I took a punt on accuracy and fired at the tiny bit of white chest that I could see thru the base of the fork in the tree.

To my utter amazement it fell over stone motherless dead.

Both pigs were clean one shot kills.

Mate, that was some fancy shooting, I love memorable shots like that.
You sure wont forget that in a hurry...Congrats. :clap: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Apr 2021, 7:41 am

Blr243 wrote:Good shooting dj. I saw a spec of gold behind a tiny bush once maybe 15 m away ....I looked long and hard at it It was probably the size of a 20 cent piece. The bush was so small that it could not conceal stock , there were no gold coloured animals or birds in the area Other than fox or cat and I knew the area very well. All the farmers dogs were locked up 5 k away ....so I shot it. Walked over to see , and a fox lay still. He was Sitting but erect and peeking thru the bush at me and thought he was well hidden. Years ago I had amazeing eyesight and I saw everting, nothing escaped

So...shooting at something not 100% identified...glad it wasn't someone's kid lost in the scrub or anything....geez
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bello » 10 Apr 2021, 1:45 pm

Great shooting
That’s pretty good performance on a pig with a V-max out at 410 meters :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 2:46 pm

Big Pete the bush was low to the ground and barely 350 mm diameter. U are correct to question my decision to shoot having not seen the situation yourself ....we can’t bring the bullet back once it’s left the barrel
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 10 Apr 2021, 7:41 pm

I have done some "not bad" shooting over the years, but nothing that others have not done also. Got a few pigs on the run at 200m plus. But in all honesty I am only an average shot I reckon.

But when I was about 13 years old I saw my dad head shoot two pigs with one shot at around 200m with his sporterised .303 with a 4x scope on it. From memory he had military ammo that had the tips cut off to expose the lead and make them expand!!!!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 8:27 pm

I prefer the anxiety riddled rush of a stalk as close as i can get
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control