One more Dog

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

One more Dog

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Apr 2021, 9:33 pm

100_5863.JPG
100_5863.JPG (490.99 KiB) Viewed 3833 times

Got this one this morning half hour before the pigs.
This is one of a pair of dogs that killed two ewes the night before.
This one is the fattest, cleanest, and healthiest dog I've shot so far.
It was fairly big in size, but the biggest shock of all was its weight. (just on 30 kgs)

Shot with 22/250 using factory Hornady Vee Max

I'm heading out again at 2-30 AM to try and round up its mate, that has been seen in daylight, and described as a chocolate brown colored dog
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: One more Dog

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

Fonz.jpg
Fonz.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2021, 9:39 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 09 Apr 2021, 9:52 pm

A lot of Dingo in that one.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2021, 10:29 pm

I have seen them on cape York , Frazer and all over south east Qld. They are all gold no other colours all shaped like dingoes , none shaped like pig dogs or other , but I’m just useing my eyes I’m no DNA expert sampler
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 09 Apr 2021, 10:47 pm

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii wrote:
100_5863.JPG

Got this one this morning half hour before the pigs.
This is one of a pair of dogs that killed two ewes the night before.
This one is the fattest, cleanest, and healthiest dog I've shot so far.
It was fairly big in size, but the biggest shock of all was its weight. (just on 30 kgs)

Shot with 22/250 using factory Hornady Vee Max

I'm heading out again at 2-30 AM to try and round up its mate, that has been seen in daylight, and described as a chocolate brown colored dog

Mate, that's a nice size Rover. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 10 Apr 2021, 7:25 am

Dog gone it! That's some good shootin.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2021, 8:16 am

Well here we go,,,,,, from sweet success one night to a DISMAL FAILURE the next night.

As stated I headed out again at 3 AM in the hopes of getting the other dog known to be hanging around (the chocolate colored one)

I had been scanning left and right (almost 360 degrees) with a couple of minutes pause between each sweep.
At the right hand extreme there was a roo feeding peacefully, and I would watch it for a few minutes each time.
At 4-30 AM I looked again and thought,,,,,,,,, it's moved a bit closer, and was sitting at the end of a large log.

I think I had the cross hairs sitting on him for about 45 seconds,,,,,,, when it suddenly got up and stepped behind the log. (four legs and a tail)

Dammmmm it,,,,,,,,,, it was the bloody dog. (the roo had actually moved back even further)

The angle it had been sitting at,, it looked a bit like the roo crouched down feeding, and I wasn't aware of it till it stepped behind the log.

Thinking all was well,,,, I'd get it soon as it stepped out the other end,,,,,,,,,, but that never happened.
Then I realized that the darker patch behind the log was the beginning of a low trough that continued on up the hill side.

The mongrel had come down through it un noticed,,,,,,,,, had a look,,,, and then went back the same way.

Doh,Doh,Doh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :oops: :oops: :oops:

At least I'll be aware of that tonite (yet again) and may park up at a slightly different angle/position to try again.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 2:24 pm

Sometimes , late at night when I’m tired and I only see the top half of the animal , due to earth mounds or vegetation , I have taken a while to work out if it’s a wallaby too or fox. A perfect full body silhouette is easy but as soon as they start crouching at funny angles it’s so muck harder The long ears of a roo folded down partially or at funny angles can make one animal appear at first to be another, esp with thermal. I have no stuff ups yet because I have always waited until I’m sure before pulling the trigger. Dj ... I feel your pain knowing you were watching that dog in your scope and thinking it was only a roo.... u must be kicking yourself
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2021, 5:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sometimes , late at night when I’m tired and I only see the top half of the animal , due to earth mounds or vegetation , I have taken a while to work out if it’s a wallaby too or fox. A perfect full body silhouette is easy but as soon as they start crouching at funny angles it’s so muck harder The long ears of a roo folded down partially or at funny angles can make one animal appear at first to be another, esp with thermal. I have no stuff ups yet because I have always waited until I’m sure before pulling the trigger. Dj ... I feel your pain knowing you were watching that dog in your scope and thinking it was only a roo.... u must be kicking yourself

I'm black and blue Mate.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2021, 5:49 pm

Cheer up DJ.
There is always tonight or next week. At least your getting out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 10 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm

That sounds like a rubbish test to me. Most of the dogs I have seen are half breeds.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 11 Apr 2021, 11:37 am

Nice work . Everything I have read disagrees with that . Real scientists say that there is almost no DNA pure Dingo's left on mainland Australia .
You would have to go out in the isolated deserts to find one . Just because they look just like a Dingo does not mean they are 100% pure .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm

Re Dingo article the proof is all in the small print...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2021, 3:56 pm

The article in sporting shooter starts of with ( almost sensationally) 99 per cent of the 5000 tested were either pure or mostly dingo. Put like that it’s easy for the reader to get the wrong idea. But a couple of paragraphs down it says 34 per cent were pure dingoes and the rest crosses ...... the later makes more sense and is more in line with what we have Been thinkIng for the last few decades ......it’s so typical of journalists to portray it the way they want , for maximum effect ....the real boring truth is often not high on the list of priorities in media ........many DNA tests over all of Australia and follow up tests over a long period of time would eventually help us to Know what’s really out there , otherwise it’s just a bunch of blokes shooting dogs of different shape size and colour
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 3:59 pm

I think Granddadbushy was involved in a heap of DNA testing on dingo's/dogs. Results were very few were pure dingo
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Apr 2021, 4:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think Granddadbushy was involved in a heap of DNA testing on dingo's/dogs. Results were very few were pure dingo

Be they pure bred or cross bred,,, there is absolutely no doubt that in my stomping grounds just in the last month,, dogs/dingos/cross breeds have had a population explosion.
When out last night the big one I'm currently after was a no show, but I saw two young ones approx 12 mths of age, and at the same time heard yet
another one further out,, howling.

Then, while travelling home i got a call from another landowner asking me to come chase a big dog that he has had on one of his cameras for three
nights in a row,, and at the same general time. ( 3 AM )
If I hadn't seen the pics myself I would have thought that it would've been a fox.

I'm hoping it won't change its calendar tonite.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm

Go for it mate.

Good luck.jpg
Good luck.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Apr 2021, 4:35 pm

Call it what you want. It’s a feral dog. Once domesticated, gone feral. No different to feral pigs. They immigrated here with people. How long ago, who knows.
A wild boar is not a feral pig. A wolf or coyote or fox is not a feral dog.
The dingo gene would be dominant, because that’s what’s best suited to survival in our conditions. For example a white puppy with a snub nose won’t live long and pass on it’s genes.
It is of note though that full golden coats don’t suggest stronger dingo genes as many up north would assume. They are often quite dark, even black, south of the fence.
(I am skeptical of the brindle markings if you read further into this recent study.)
Dingos evolved from wolves, just like our domestic dogs. A different wolf though in a different time/place. The same wolf the basenji is descended from and a lot of other camp dogs you’d find with indigenous peoples throughout Africa, Indonesia, some parts of Asia. More a type than a breed. The domestic dogs we have in aus were descended from wolves in Europe.
So they are linked and genetically very close, just the link goes a lot further back when the two types wolves split in the family tree.
Management is complicated. I would not like to see them go extinct. But they can survive just fine on wallabies and other marsupials, as they did before Europeans arrived here. ( and the occasional baby ). They do have an important place in our natural ecosystem. Just like wolves do in Yosemite. In much of Europe and all of the UK wolves are extinct and that’s regrettable. So there is some merit in what may seem a woke liberal or green push to save them. But it must be a balanced approach.

It’s really just finding effective ways to keep them away from stock, because they can decimate your flock. A pack just won’t take one lamb. They kill all of them, just like a fox will kill all your chooks.
We are adopting lots of different ways to keep them away from livestock. But shooting, baiting, trapping is still essential.
Maremma packs in the hunter valley are showing the best way forward i think. Problem is they are expensive so people steal them and you need to take care to segregate them from your kelpies because they’ll kill them. And kelpies are also expensive.
Technology is always improving and surveillance is playing a huge part in wild dog management too though.

This is die juicy’s trophy thread and credit to him for a job well done and as another livestock killer gone.
We need more blokes out there like him. Because the guys with the thermals watching over the flocks all night are one of the most effective techniques we employ.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 7:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sometimes , late at night when I’m tired and I only see the top half of the animal , due to earth mounds or vegetation , I have taken a while to work out if it’s a wallaby too or fox. A perfect full body silhouette is easy but as soon as they start crouching at funny angles it’s so muck harder The long ears of a roo folded down partially or at funny angles can make one animal appear at first to be another, esp with thermal. I have no stuff ups yet because I have always waited until I’m sure before pulling the trigger. Dj ... I feel your pain knowing you were watching that dog in your scope and thinking it was only a roo.... u must be kicking yourself

pigs in the shade under trees can look like logs till their ears twitch :)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2021, 7:43 pm

Rich, if I ever hunt daytime I carry conventional binos as well As thermal binos because warm logs and pigs look exactly the same given the right temperature situations...... so if I’m unsure I temporarily switch to old standard binos and then the white logs turn into black pigs and I’m onto it .....if all goes well I’m leaving town in a couple o days
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Apr 2021, 10:10 pm

I think dogs, be they feral, wild, dingoes...... whatever you wanna call them, are fast becoming the new pig. So many of the properties I assist are now all about culling dogs. Used to be pigs and Roos were the main issue. Now property owners seem to be just as concerned, if not more so, about me bopping dogs all night and in some areas deer.
As Womble mentioned above, I literally sit all night in some places watching over the sheep or calves with thermal waiting for them to come to me.
As a side note, there i two areas I work in that are a loooonnngggg way apart and both regions there have been dogs shot/run over with collars on them that say, “Fraser Island dingo relocation scheme”. One location is Qld and the other is NSW. In both areas local authorities have of course denied any knowledge EVEN with the submitted collars. Go figure.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 12 Apr 2021, 4:45 am

Graphic buts its the reality of the problem https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLMehMZWq80

If you want to help ssaa runs this program for volunteers. Gets you out there and onto properties
https://farmerassist.com.au/
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control