How much pain ??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

How much pain ??

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Jun 2021, 6:50 pm

Wasn't gonna post yet another fox, but come daylight I changed my mind.

I reckon this poor old feller deserves some recognition.
Apparently he had some how snapped his left rear leg just above the hock / joint in early life.
Maybe hit by a car or similar.
The leg had almost completely doubled over (S shaped) and had eventually healed/knitted in that position.
As a result that leg was almost 6" shorter than the others.

Shot last night as it was skirting around a mob of sheep,, just over 350 meters.
While tracking him in the scope I didn't notice any limp or awkwardness in his gait whatsoever.
Just after dawn I went out to retrieve him, and got quite a shock to see what he had overcome and survived quite well.

Just imagine the pain he must have endured till the leg had eventually knitted.
After all,,, he still had to catch his own meals.
100_5872.JPG
100_5872.JPG (706.67 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: How much pain ??

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2021, 7:28 pm

A while ago I was on a waterhole at midnight watching a small boar walk towards me but he was limping awfully slow. And very thin. Only just surviving. He collapsed in a heap when my 243 ended his very hard life. He had a long while ago endured probably being run over by a Ute I think his shoulder /chest on one side was a semi healed mess of broken bones .....but whatever happened to him , he dealt with it every minute of every day , it must have been terrible for him
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2021, 7:30 pm

Cold in the paddock last night dj? I think I need to stock up on Chemical hand and feet warmers , and not for sighting in my scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2021, 7:32 pm

And I need a fold down windshield for my quadbike to cut down on the cool breeze when cruising the paddocks at night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 Jun 2021, 8:10 pm

I shot a rabbit once where the the back leg had snapped,then slid up an inch,then fused together
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Jun 2021, 9:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:Cold in the paddock last night dj? I think I need to stock up on Chemical hand and feet warmers , and not for sighting in my scope

Yeah Mate, when packing up this morning I found that the wiper blades had frozen solid to the Glass.

But I was fine,, the electric jacket had to be turned off 3 times cos I was getting too warm. :thumbsup:

I bought myself a bulk box of those hand warmers specifically for sighting in and checking zero.
And,,, now I found another use for them.
With the aid of a rubber band to hold one in place around the occular lens,,,, it prevents dew forming on the lens.
At 35 cents each,, one of them does the entire night.

I did buy a velcro strap electric one that does the same job,,,, but the chemical hand warmer doesn't need a cable.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 14 Jun 2021, 11:14 pm

DJ, you gotta hand it to them, they're survivors.
Hope your going well mate, was out doing some walkabout spottying, so bloody dark I couldnt see my hand in front of my face but I did catch several bunnies in the light.
Am trying to think up a way to turn the beast into a lone spotting vehicle.
Only prob is there is not much room inside and the drivers window is pretty small.
Anyway, I hope your still dropping them dogs
take care mate,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control