Kangaroo culling

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Kangaroo culling

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2021, 5:28 pm

https://www.wildlife.vic.gov.au/our-wildlife/kangaroos

Estimated 2-million roos in Victoria earlier this year.
It mentions they are.protected under the 1975 Wildlife Act, but there may have been something earlier.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2021, 6:28 pm

Thanks blade , so looks like 1975 or sooner .... I was still a kid then , had no idea
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2021, 7:58 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m familiar with the shoot and let lie permit thing a grazier can apply for easily over the phone. I just wondered how far back laws were introduced regarding licenced shooting of kangaroos ....I get the idea it was common decades ago and not many people knew it was illegal to shoot them unless u had a permit/ licence. ..I googled it but no luck finding when the laws were introduced

I've got early 1960's Outdoors magazines,,, and judging by some of the stories contained,,,,,,, and indeed, MOST of the adverts,,,
Roo shooting was a common,, if not encouraged practice.
Certainly no mention of NOT shooting em due to "Protection" issues.

If one had the time,, and access to all issues from then up till recent,,,, you could probably ascertain the period when it became a No No.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Nov 2021, 10:50 pm

Blr243 wrote:For how many decades has it been illegal to shoot kangaroos without a permit ? I’m not really referring to commercial harvesting for meat and skins , mainly in regards to a grazier wanting to thin them out when he’s suffering from grazing pressure ..... have the current laws been in place for 3-4-5 decades? Or forever ?

It depends where you live. Here in W.A you don’t need a permit to cull roos in most local government shires. The reason being there is a declared open season on roos. A land owner, his manager or agent can legally cull roos without applying for a permit. The rule is that if the roo population declines too much, then landowners will be directed to cease culling activities. As western grey kangaroos are “prolific and abundant”, I suspect this isn’t going to be an issue for rge foreseeable future.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2021, 11:21 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
It depends where you live. Here in W.A you don’t need a permit to cull roos in most local government shires. The reason being there is a declared open season on roos. A land owner, his manager or agent can legally cull roos without applying for a permit. The rule is that if the roo population declines too much, then landowners will be directed to cease culling activities. As western grey kangaroos are “prolific and abundant”, I suspect this isn’t going to be an issue for rge foreseeable future.

So much for Jack Boot Johnnie's "Uniform gun Laws[u]"[/u]

:lol: :lol:

Howard is a really nice name,,,, but John is just a four letter word.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Nov 2021, 10:01 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

The gun laws have similarities but they are not uniform. Our laws in WA appear to be more restrictive than in other states. Then we have things like the roo culling rules that are a lot less restrictive. I suspect the roo management rules in Victoria and NSW in particular are largely driven by the demands of urban greenies who believe roos are on the verge of extinction.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2021, 10:38 am

I have just obtained all the latest from Dpaw and drop and rot is still done as required as it is done on private property the police would need a warrant to enter the property.I need a licence to take carcasses of the property and they are delivered to a licenced processer with a tag attatched.Every thing shot is recorded and sent in monthly return to Dpaw
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2021, 12:16 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

The gun laws have similarities but they are not uniform. Our laws in WA appear to be more restrictive than in other states. Then we have things like the roo culling rules that are a lot less restrictive. I suspect the roo management rules in Victoria and NSW in particular are largely driven by the demands of urban greenies who believe roos are on the verge of extinction.

Laws should never be uniform, they always need to be written by and for the people living in that region to suit their environment and lifestyle. Yes, largely directed by various Green-communist agendas to control what "freedoms" the population are given.

At least 95% of non-shooters don't even realise that normal every day people are out shooting and hunting in the very same state forests that they take their families to on the weekends, while they're out there enjoying the scenery and native wildlife that we are protecting for them, and protecting them from. The very fact of this is evidence that people actually can be trusted to own and use firearms, despite what the media tells them every day. The political arms of the RSPCA are absolutely against civilians using firearms against any animals, despite agreeing that shooting is the most humane method of taking life, but only when done under their immediate control. These people believe animals are as sentient us we are, thus we merely need ask the rabbits, cows, deer, etc to give their lives for our sustenance, and if they disagree then we mustn't push the issue. The primary reason all life forms live is to provide sustenance for the next animal up the food chain, that's how the system works in nature's law. Even when we die we enrich the soil to feed plant life to feed the insects that feed the frogs and birds that feed the smaller carnivores, that feed the larger carnivores, that excrete them back into the soil to keep the system running. The Greens want to destroy that most basic system of why life exists at all.

I get to chat with these eco-morons pretty regularly. It's not at all about locking us out of nature, it's about them controlling what we can learn about nature with our own senses. They want it all locked up so they can tell us how nature "actually" works, and what rules we need to follow "for nature" to survive. They want to be in charge of educating us about the magnificence of these forms of life, but keep us ignorant of the basics of why these life forms exist, and their lower positions on the food chain. All life forms exist for the purpose of increasing the strengths of higher life forms. That includes roos. When the predator at the peak of the food chain no longer needs the lower life forms to survive, why would they need them at all.

If human life wishes to exist past the tiny lifetime of this planet, it needs to develop means of surviving without reliance on this planet, or any planet, at all. Only then will there no longer be any need of the lower life forms to sustain us.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Nov 2021, 6:24 pm

I don't see why we should have uniform gun laws seeing as we are a federation of self governing states under our own sovereignty. It is bad enough all the freedom haters in Brisbane control the rest of the state. I would hate for Sydney and Melbourne to control my gun laws.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Nov 2021, 9:19 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I don't see why we should have uniform gun laws seeing as we are a federation of self governing states under our own sovereignty. It is bad enough all the freedom haters in Brisbane control the rest of the state. I would hate for Sydney and Melbourne to control my gun laws.

Agreed. We are a federation of seperate states. I too don’t want people in Sydney or Melbourne telling us in WA how to run our state.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Nov 2021, 9:20 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I don't see why we should have uniform gun laws seeing as we are a federation of self governing states under our own sovereignty. It is bad enough all the freedom haters in Brisbane control the rest of the state. I would hate for Sydney and Melbourne to control my gun laws.

Agreed. We are a federation of seperate states. I too don’t want people in Sydney or Melbourne telling us in WA how to run our state.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control