Kangaroo culling

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Kangaroo culling

Post by duncan61 » 17 Jun 2021, 2:01 pm

I am seeking interested parties in culling Kangaroos in the Waroona area.I like a good booze up as much as anyone but I need hunters who are willing to shoot for 8 hours and get 3 an hour.I have all the access to the land but at the risk of sounding like a butt head it needs to be treated as a job thats fun.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: Kangaroo culling

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am seeking interested parties in culling Kangaroos in the Waroona area.I like a good booze up as much as anyone but I need hunters who are willing to shoot for 8 hours and get 3 an hour.I have all the access to the land but at the risk of sounding like a butt head it needs to be treated as a job thats fun.

I don't drink but it sounds like it'd be an enjoyable excuse for a WA visit to catch up with some mates.
Does it have to be done at night with lights or could I hunt them in daylight?

I don't understand the "8 hours and get 3 an hour" though - you only want 24 roos culled or is this an on-going task?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 17 Jun 2021, 2:31 pm

Is this a "shoot and drop" or are the roos being used for meat?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Jun 2021, 5:03 pm

Thank you both for the sensible responses.I have a factory that will pay $5.00 a kilo for meat that I have done a lot of infrastructre for and I have set up a trailer to deliver 10 foam boxes of meat.Its on my way home and I will screen shooters that will treat the exercise as a job.The 3 an hour will keep me busy proccessing I have shot my fair share of roo and just wish to bone out.This time of year day time ambushing works very well.The blue and green bottle flies lay live maggot and can not be anywhere the meat
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jun 2021, 7:50 pm

PM me if you still need numbers duncan, will be south of pth myself for a while, cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 17 Jun 2021, 8:52 pm

Umm, if the shooter is supplying the roos then they need to be licensed. It was called a Professional kangaroo shooters license.

The shooter needs the roo shooters license by completing the unit Australian Game Meat and Hygiene, get competency tested then apply for a license.

The processor needs a license for that unless he is supplying to a licensed processor.

If they are shooting for you and you are a licensed pro roo shooter, then they still need to be licensed. Each person who pulls the trigger requires the proper license.

This not a simple "lets have fun and go shoot roos" situation.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jun 2021, 10:31 pm

I'm surprised anyone can make money at $5 / kg
Lots of hours, lifting, butchering, chilling meat, packing and delivering, vehicle running costs...

I looked into it but decided to leave them to rot, the TAFE course "SA Wild Game Harvester Field Processing" was easy enough but the initial outlay of a chiller and stainless tray alone put the idea of harvesting to bed for me, I'll probably look at it all again when I hit semi-retirement mode.

Glad to see someone is able to make it work though, hope you can put together a crew :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 17 Jun 2021, 10:47 pm

A mate shot 1100kg of Roo's last nite, he will get paid about $1.47kg. He will box 3 loads this week, you do the math :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Jun 2021, 7:57 am

animalpest wrote:Umm, if the shooter is supplying the roos then they need to be licensed. It was called a Professional kangaroo shooters license.

The shooter needs the roo shooters license by completing the unit Australian Game Meat and Hygiene, get competency tested then apply for a license.

The processor needs a license for that unless he is supplying to a licensed processor.

If they are shooting for you and you are a licensed pro roo shooter, then they still need to be licensed. Each person who pulls the trigger requires the proper license.

This not a simple "lets have fun and go shoot roos" situation.

:thumbsup:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jun 2021, 9:41 am

Bill wrote:A mate shot 1100kg of Roo's last nite, he will get paid about $1.47kg. He will box 3 loads this week, you do the math :drinks:

$1500 odd per week before tax and costs is ok, but id be surprised if he can sustain that all year round.

Being able to sustain that to make a decent income just isn't possible in my neck of the woods.
The property's I have available average 100 tags each per year, 500 roos a year just won't cut it, it's just not worth the effort for me. I truly wish I could,
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 18 Jun 2021, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Jun 2021, 9:55 am

I have put many people through the course and accuracy test before and helped them get a reg 6 licence however to this point it was always treated as a joke and I have even had people tell me its just fun and not real.They just wish to drop a few roos then sit around the fire drinking.I do all the organising and notify property owners etc then they do 3 hours and expect to earn a wage.Most bricklayers go to work and do 8 hours laying bricks and make a wage.Culling is the same.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jun 2021, 10:42 am

duncan61 wrote:I have put many people through the course and accuracy test before and helped them get a reg 6 licence however to this point it was always treated as a joke and I have even had people tell me its just fun and not real.They just wish to drop a few roos then sit around the fire drinking.I do all the organising and notify property owners etc then they do 3 hours and expect to earn a wage.Most bricklayers go to work and do 8 hours laying bricks and make a wage.Culling is the same.

Thats the thing, Iv shot almost 100 roos on one night with myself and one other shooter, the land owner had almost let the permit lapse with 2 days to go because the previous "pro shooter" was completely unreliable, that's my best night ever, it took us from about 8pm to 2am to do the shooting, cruising around mostly off road crawling around in 1st and second gear, my spotlight arm pumped, and aching, freezing cold, checking for joey's, by the end my eyes alone were stuffed to the point shooting became difficult, ... there's no way the 2 of us could have butted and hung all those, perhaps ⅓ of them if we put in a mighty effort and went like cut snakes. You'd have to work super hard and have almost unlimited land access and tags to make a living.
Breaking that down, 6 hours driving, (lots of fuel) a combined 12 man hours, 100 odd rounds, time spent reloading,... its not exactly a money maker.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 18 Jun 2021, 11:07 am

only $1500 a week? sheesh, I dont even get out of bed for that, there are single mothers on that much from centerbludge. dont believe me? a single mum with 6 kids (not uncommon) gets $58k per year plus tax free, plus benefits of low income card/pension car plus usually living in subsidized housing, add that all up and youre closer to a pre tax income of around $90k per year.

what are these mugs thinking that work for less than 80k a year pre tax?

anyways rant over.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by duncan61 » 18 Jun 2021, 12:17 pm

The reason I am going to set some standards is the disaster that happend before when I did this.I will list some of the dramas I had
.One of my shooters called and said he wished to go culling and at the time where I lived in Roelands I had all the hill properties from Burekup and back down again.It took all night to start and get around all the land.I said sure thing and got ready.I had a coolroom trailer at my house and had a regular pickup.He turns up at 9.30pm stinking of rum with some strange girl in the ute and a greyhound like dog in a cage on the back.I told him to F off and never saw him again
.A painter on a building site seen my rig and said he had a good property to shoot on.We went up there and it was a perfect bit of land around 800 acres of open paddocks with a small creek going through the middle and they had a herd of Charolais cattle that were all bunched up in one corner.I could see where pigs and roos had been as it was surrounded by state forest.Deer used to show up some times.Before we started he said can I have a pipe and I said sure why not.He pulls out this glass bowl thing puts some clear crystal stuff in it and puffs it up.I had never seen this before but later I find out what it was and this blokes seeing pink elephants
.I had access to a marron farm near Busselton from a farmer I met at the range.The place was being funded by a london gangster and the deal was when he came to Australia I had to take him hunting.My .222 is very accurate but this bloke kept shooting them in the neck.I chatted him about it but the very next roo I put him on he neck shot it again and it was only about 30 metres away.I said mate you have to brain them but he was not having it.I drove him home and told him to F off as well
.Another shooter I put through the course and accuracy test did some good stuff and moved a coolroom to his place in Bunbury and set it all up very well.The plan was to do culling as a job This is why I have the Howa .243 it was supposed to be for him.The problems we had was he was only hitting about 30% of the roos I put him on.We set up one time and I said you drive I will be on the back and lets do the job.We drove in to a place and I dropped 2 before they all scooted back in to the treeline.While I am dropping the green and doing the bung hole I glance at him and his face is all screwed up and he is twistng his feet in to the ground clearly wound up so we switched roles and he missed the next 3 kangaroos.I find out later he is on the meth as well and he had devopled a serious flinch
.This is only the tip of the iceberg it sucks I do all the ground work and other people just fail me
.My other shooter I put through the course phoned me in the morning and wish to go up the hill and cull roos I said sure I will see you at 5.00pm.He turns up no spotlight apparently he drove over it on the weekend and we are going up a slight hill and his back tyres are spinning and we start sliding down towards the creek so he stops and this goes on for a while and I can see a mob of roos but we just cant get to them.I say why are we not in 4x and he declares it doesnt work.I have a bit of a bleat and he goes if you keep whinging I am taking you home so I say good idea.The place we were cutting the paddock up was the main property I had and I could access all the other properties.If I lost that spot it would make things difficult.When I saw him at work the next day he apologised and admitted he had drunk a whole box of beer that day.Is it reasonable that I wish to work with people who are genuine like me.
.Last story.When the box was moved to Bunbury my shooters dad started proccessing the little roos and making the most delightfull burgers with carrots and onions.It went from a little thing to near on fulltime job and he was supplying a heap of people and started making good money.At first he was just using the under 20 kg roos but I went to load out one time and half the roos were gone.He started using bigger and bigger animals and I dropped 3 bulls in the box and never saw them again.This can not happen to me again.Its too much work to be giving it all away
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 18 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Bill wrote:A mate shot 1100kg of Roo's last nite, he will get paid about $1.47kg. He will box 3 loads this week, you do the math :drinks:

$1500 odd per week before tax and costs is ok, but id be surprised if he can sustain that all year round.

Being able to sustain that to make a decent income just isn't possible in my neck of the woods.
The property's I have available average 100 tags each per year, 500 roos a year just won't cut it, it's just not worth the effort for me. I truly wish I could,

thats 3 x $1500 a week :drinks: mind you weather and wind play a big part and throw in a bad week it levels out a bit.

Access to loads of country and reputation built up over the years means a good shooters is well rewarded. Id imagine SA and WA would be tough states to get similar numbers

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jun 2021, 7:03 pm

I can't speak for WA but tag numbers locally have been very low considering the numbers of roos on the ground.
I don't know how they've been conducting their surveys of if they have been doing it at all,
I have seen numbers of roos increasing but the number of tags decrease, perhaps theres more science behind it than just numbers.
One block that's 5,000 ha they only issued a permit for 30 roos last year, so we just targeted bucks

Id be really keen to see how many tags others are being allocated
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 18 Jun 2021, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

Is that 1100kg of carcasses or just whole 'roos delivered to a processor?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 18 Jun 2021, 7:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:One block that's 5,000 ha they only issued a permit for 30 roos last year.

Id be really keen to see how many tags others are being allocated

When I have applied I have had a officer from the DELWP come out to the property to see for himself the qty of roos to verify the damage you have stated and also ask you your opinion on how many you would like to cull also how and what you are going to do with the carcass.

If the person that has the 5000 ha just said he wanted to kill a few each year to keep the roos scared of people and to respect/ flee the sound of gunfire and he just wanted a few to feed the dogs I could see how he may have only been allocated 30. Otherwise it is a ridiculously low number.

They do give higher numbers if you are getting them culled via the trial pet food programs.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by animalpest » 18 Jun 2021, 7:39 pm

1100kg would be dressed. That is gutted, tail/feet/head off. Nobody weighs whole roos.

Duncan61 you have had a tough trot. Unfortunately most shooters think it's a joke and it often attracts these types of characters.

So how do most people go when doing the shooting competency test?
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 18 Jun 2021, 8:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Carcass weight mate, they get weighed at the box, mind you price use to only be 75 cents only a few years ago, protein shortage mean record high prices :drinks:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2021, 9:47 pm

Bill wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Carcass weight mate, they get weighed at the box, mind you price use to only be 75 cents only a few years ago, protein shortage mean record high prices :drinks:

So there is some further work involved than simply shooting them and collecting the bodies, you also have to field dress them for that price?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 18 Jun 2021, 9:55 pm

All Pro roo shooter field dress n tag.

Long hours, heavy lifting, broken 4wd, bogged 4wd, fatigue and then go to sleep when the sun comes up. Takes a special breed to stick it out. :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm

duncan61 wrote:The reason I am going to set some standards is the disaster that happend before when I did this.I will list some of the dramas I had
.One of my shooters called and said he wished to go culling and at the time where I lived in Roelands I had all the hill properties from Burekup and back down again.It took all night to start and get around all the land.I said sure thing and got ready.I had a coolroom trailer at my house and had a regular pickup.He turns up at 9.30pm stinking of rum with some strange girl in the ute and a greyhound like dog in a cage on the back.I told him to F off and never saw him again
.A painter on a building site seen my rig and said he had a good property to shoot on.We went up there and it was a perfect bit of land around 800 acres of open paddocks with a small creek going through the middle and they had a herd of Charolais cattle that were all bunched up in one corner.I could see where pigs and roos had been as it was surrounded by state forest.Deer used to show up some times.Before we started he said can I have a pipe and I said sure why not.He pulls out this glass bowl thing puts some clear crystal stuff in it and puffs it up.I had never seen this before but later I find out what it was and this blokes seeing pink elephants
.I had access to a marron farm near Busselton from a farmer I met at the range.The place was being funded by a london gangster and the deal was when he came to Australia I had to take him hunting.My .222 is very accurate but this bloke kept shooting them in the neck.I chatted him about it but the very next roo I put him on he neck shot it again and it was only about 30 metres away.I said mate you have to brain them but he was not having it.I drove him home and told him to F off as well
.Another shooter I put through the course and accuracy test did some good stuff and moved a coolroom to his place in Bunbury and set it all up very well.The plan was to do culling as a job This is why I have the Howa .243 it was supposed to be for him.The problems we had was he was only hitting about 30% of the roos I put him on.We set up one time and I said you drive I will be on the back and lets do the job.We drove in to a place and I dropped 2 before they all scooted back in to the treeline.While I am dropping the green and doing the bung hole I glance at him and his face is all screwed up and he is twistng his feet in to the ground clearly wound up so we switched roles and he missed the next 3 kangaroos.I find out later he is on the meth as well and he had devopled a serious flinch
.This is only the tip of the iceberg it sucks I do all the ground work and other people just fail me
.My other shooter I put through the course phoned me in the morning and wish to go up the hill and cull roos I said sure I will see you at 5.00pm.He turns up no spotlight apparently he drove over it on the weekend and we are going up a slight hill and his back tyres are spinning and we start sliding down towards the creek so he stops and this goes on for a while and I can see a mob of roos but we just cant get to them.I say why are we not in 4x and he declares it doesnt work.I have a bit of a bleat and he goes if you keep whinging I am taking you home so I say good idea.The place we were cutting the paddock up was the main property I had and I could access all the other properties.If I lost that spot it would make things difficult.When I saw him at work the next day he apologised and admitted he had drunk a whole box of beer that day.Is it reasonable that I wish to work with people who are genuine like me.
.Last story.When the box was moved to Bunbury my shooters dad started proccessing the little roos and making the most delightfull burgers with carrots and onions.It went from a little thing to near on fulltime job and he was supplying a heap of people and started making good money.At first he was just using the under 20 kg roos but I went to load out one time and half the roos were gone.He started using bigger and bigger animals and I dropped 3 bulls in the box and never saw them again.This can not happen to me again.Its too much work to be giving it all away

Dude, that's some horror stories right there. I can't stand druggies.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2021, 3:15 am

duncan61 wrote:The reason I am going to set some standards is the disaster that happend before when I did this.I will list some of the dramas I had

FMD I must have had a sheltered life.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 19 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

on_one_wheel: "I can't speak for WA but tag numbers locally have been very low considering the numbers of roos on the ground."

South of Ballarat a local farmer running meat sheep got a permit for 7 'roos, yet the blighters are all over his property [day and night] coming out of the surrounding pine plantations and the native forest bordering his farm. The permit took three months to be processed and is good for 3 months only. Just down the road another property owner, bordering the state forest, has built 6 foot high electrified 'roo fencing on three sides of his place in the hope he can raise some crops without the 'roos wrecking them. Eventually the hungry beggars will find a way around the fencing.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Jun 2021, 11:07 am

I will now share the good bits.The land I am going to next Saturday I have shot before and it is thick bush with open pastures and around 1500 Ha.When I first scored this land the nephew wish to play ball and he had a 22/250 and he could do the job and we had a very good session
.I did the sick cows at the dairy farm and one morning I did the milking then terminated this cow and used the farm tractor to Quarter it and just as I finished the pick up came up the drive and I put it straight on the tray then put the 30 odd roos I had and he left and I went to sleep and was paid $650
Bill.You have done this before.It is exactly how you describe.My plan is to do the boning on site as well.Once the animal is shot the green has to come out instantly or they will blow in 30 minutes and you can not get in them with out popping the bag and getting a facefull of grass and gas.The deal will be to hang them at the camp and zip them of at the ribs and just bone out the butt.The factory wants the liver heart and ears as well.I should be able to fill 10 boxes at $80/box so it is worth it.This land is only an hour from the factory and I plan to drop off the next morning.It can be done I just need people that will do it and not be wasted
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jun 2021, 12:01 pm

I've only ever taken people out that I've known for a long time, I dont trust strangers.... Theres so many idiots out there and the meth epidemic certainly isn't helping.
You've had a horror run, I hope you find some decent people. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 19 Jun 2021, 5:33 pm

Unfortunately Ice is a scourge that can rip thru rural communities, there was recent bust in NSW and 10kg of ice was found inside a truck loaded full of roo's,

Truck driver was charged. And no you couldnt make up s**t likes this. :thumbsdown:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 19 Jun 2021, 7:23 pm

Roo shooting is more of a lifestyle than a money making enterprise as it can be hit and miss. Some just do it for the access to cat D and the chilling out in the bush lifestyle.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2021, 7:44 pm

Yes,many roo shooters use semi automatic rifles
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next