Home made dog trapping lures,

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Home made dog trapping lures,

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2024, 8:03 pm

I was on my way out to hunt and I thought I might take a trap too but I didn’t end up Laing a trap. I knew of a bloke making home made lures so I called in and seen him and he gave me a couple. He did telll me the main ingredient but I forgot. The grazier mentioned dingo liver as not necessarily a lure but as a general attractant Not his personal info but it was just something he was told. I think they start mating in April. All I can think of is to make sure you have calling equipment handy as in on a string on your neck because often u won’t have time to find it in a stressful surprise encounter. I’ll post a screenshot of the app I have. It’s used in conjunction with a blluetootj speaker
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2024, 8:12 pm

This is the app I use. I can’t remember if it’s free or not. If u enter the pest snimsl section and click dingo u will see six options. some sound useless. There is a chorus or what I call chorus anyway it’s a whole heap of dogs goin off together. I might use it one day if I feel the situation warrants it but I mainly like number 4 it’s a lonely sounding solo dog and it worked for me thurs evening .. beware of the apps that have yank animal sounds they don’t have dingos .. I find it difficult to decide if I use a dog howl to call or a distressed prey animal sound that might appeal to a hungry dog. Sometimes I alternate. I reckon dragging carcasses def works.
Attachments
9C39304E-F407-45F5-8C64-B4AA6AA698DA.png
9C39304E-F407-45F5-8C64-B4AA6AA698DA.png (685.12 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2024, 8:15 pm

It’s well worth making functional user friendly covers for all the light emitting screeens on your electronic devices. A dumb dog will tolerate lots of mistakes but a smart dog u will never see and he will be just laughing at your sloppiness.. remember to check the value of scalps in the district. They can vary immensely
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 19 Mar 2024, 2:52 pm

A couple of lures that have been recommended to us over the years:-

1). Find a bitch in heat and collect her urine.
A sprinkle of that around a trap seems to be compulsory for a dog to inspect.

2). A mix of dog s**t, bitches urine, stewed in the hot sun for a few days, and then bottled.

3). Cat Blood (Camera caught multiple dogs sniffing where we'd shot a cat; seems that the blood is pretty compelling).

4). We often take our working dog to piss and s**t around wherever he finds dog scratchings, and that seems to get the wild dogs keen to repeat the same.

5). Many years ago, we were told about a mens cologne that was supposed to drive cats wild, and was used to photograph big cats in some jungle in South America.
The cologne was called 'Calvin Klein's' "Obsession", and in my mind, it smelt like REALLY cheap bourbon infused with eye-watering amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg.
I chanced upon a couple of bottles of the stuff, and have had them in the lures box for some years.
When setting up a trap on our Northern boundary in a creek bed, we set up a camera to observe the trap.
On a log in front of the trap, we tried a splash of the Obsession crap, as I wanted to see if we nailed a cat in the trap.
Well...EVERY OTHER animal(Goats, possum, cows, sheep, pigs) stopped to sniff that log, excepting the damn cats.
But the dogs seemed really interested in it.

6). This isnt a 'smell' lure, but an idea we'd seen.
You can buy really small LED lights that clip onto a rectangular 9v battery.
The LED lights add maybe an inch to the top of the battery, so still quite small.
We've been told of a trick of drilling a hole deep into the ground and dropping a small torch after you've turned it on.
The light catches the dogs interest, and then tries to dig it out to see what it is.
We've trialled this a couple of times, using a 1" or so drill auger to make the hole about a foot deep, in the side of the road where the dog has been running regularly.
A 9v battery will run those lights for about 2 days non-stop.
And on one occasion, we had a lot of dog tracks around the hole while they tried to dig it out.
You need to have a wire to retrieve the light..
They cost bugger-all, and in reality, any LED penlight would likely work just as well.

7). A bloke I knew used to live up in the Desert Uplands country, and saw a LOT of wild dogs.
They often trapped a dog by hanging a freshly changed dozer/grader oil filter up in a tree, high enough for a dog to need to stretch up the trunk to be able to smell it.
He'd tie it up with wire, with the old filter just slowly dripping oil onto the ground at the base of the tree.
He'd lay the trap right where Wuffy would place his hind feet to be able to reach the filter.

Anyway; these are a few of the lures I've heard of; some have worked for us, and some havent.
[But every dog seems to be different..]
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 21 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

As a dog tragic, never met one I didn't want to take home, I'm very glad we don't have a wild dog problem in the Southern Tablelands.

I have a problem shooting foxes, doesn't stop me, but I hate it.
Shooting a dog is beyond me.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 23 Mar 2024, 9:33 pm

Lazarus wrote:As a dog tragic, never met one I didn't want to take home, I'm very glad we don't have a wild dog problem in the Southern Tablelands.

So I guess the reason for you shooting foxes is the damage they cause? To lambs? The native fauna?

Yet wild dogs killing dozens of sheep a night is not the same?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 24 Mar 2024, 6:53 am

animalpest wrote:
Lazarus wrote:As a dog tragic, never met one I didn't want to take home, I'm very glad we don't have a wild dog problem in the Southern Tablelands.

So I guess the reason for you shooting foxes is the damage they cause? To lambs? The native fauna?

I knew some dick would try to turn a throwaway comment into a fight.

Perhaps, in your urge to be a dick you missed the part about NOT HAVING WILD DOGS IN THE SOUTERN TABLELANDS.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 24 Mar 2024, 6:58 am

And, analpest, just to make it totally clear for you, I didn't say they shouldn't be shot.

Did I?

Just that I'm glad the I don't have to.

Got the picture yet?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2024, 7:29 am

Great info joricrin
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Mar 2024, 9:05 am

Hey, relax you two.

BTW I asked about FOX bait or lures.

Although lots of great dog baiting info provided .might come in handy one day.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 24 Mar 2024, 10:51 am

Lazarus wrote:
animalpest wrote:

Perhaps, in your urge to be a dick you missed the part about NOT HAVING WILD DOGS IN THE SOUTERN TABLELANDS.

"Throwaway" comments deserve a query. Careful who you call a dick
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Jorlcrin » 24 Mar 2024, 11:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:Hey, relax you two.

About the only 2 things that I know foxes are keen on, are chooks, and following roo-shooters spotlights....
[They know the shooters will gut the roos regularly, and so know that the spotlight==dinner]
When we've been out spotlighting in years past, we've found that if you catch a fox in the light, he will then circle to attempt to get around behind us.
I expect thats because he thinks we might shoot him some dinner..

Many moons ago, one of our roo-shooters used to keep his 1911 handy while gutting roos, and one evening, shot a fox that was trying to steal the offal as he cut it off the roo carcass(that was hanging on the rack on the Landcruiser tray).
Many, MANY moons ago....sigh.
That year(before we organised a shire-wide 1080 baiting campaign), the roo-shooter shot 165 foxes in 4 months; just while he was shooting on our place.
The following year, after 2 shire baiting campaigns had been held 6 months apart, he saw 2 foxes in 6 months on our place(generally shooting 2-3 nights a week)..

I also knew one bloke who was out spotlighting here one night, and an enthusiastic fox ran into the front diff of his Landcruiser; it was so excited about the free meal in the offing...
Car was parked on a claypan(bare ground - open and flat), and they only saw the fox in the spotlight as it came barrelling down the road towards them, and then heard the 'clong!' as he hit solid metal...
No sign of the fox afterwards, so likely it knocked some smarts into it...

I know that if there are foxes around, chooks are one attraction they cant seem to pass up.
If you need anyone to test the security on your chook-house enclosure, a fox is the perfect choice.
Maybe set up a cage with a chook in it??
[Hard/stressful living for the chook, but might be too much to resist for the fox..]

I have heard(but havent seen it myself) that if wild dogs get wind of a fox, they often hunt them down and kill them.
I do know that we have multiple security camera pics where about an hour after a dog trots past, a fox trots past following them; likely in the hope the dog might score them a meal.

I've also lost a sheepskin Ugg boot that I had left outside the kitchen door one night; found it 2 weeks later; dumped about 300 yards from the house, with a LOT of teeth marks all over it.

And one final note:- about 20 years back, neighbours used to train race horses and had a training track graded just out from their homestead.
Bob lost his hat one morning while galloping one of the horses, and couldnt find it.
A week later, the hat is located, with about 6 fox turds on top of it...
I'm sure there is a message in there somewhere(certainly from the fox!)...
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 24 Mar 2024, 2:41 pm

animalpest wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
animalpest wrote:

"Throwaway" comments deserve a query. Careful who you call a dick

Or what? :lol:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 25 Mar 2024, 9:01 pm

Thank ok Oldbloke. A person who needs to resort to name calling is of no consequence to me. I have more important things to, like advising people on fox and dog control and organising work on them.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 26 Mar 2024, 7:06 am

animalpest wrote:

Thank ok Oldbloke. A person who needs to resort to name calling is of no consequence to me. I have more important things to, like advising people on fox and dog control and organising work on them.

Or what?
Still waiting

I have some advice.
I made a simple comment about liking dogs and being glad I don't have to shoot them.
Then, for some reason, you chose to respond with smarmy sarcasm.
What did you expect would be the response?

If you're not equipped to handle people coming back at your smarminess, perhaps keep it to yourself
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Mar 2024, 2:00 pm

Chill-Pills-.jpg
Chill-Pills-.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2024, 6:58 pm

animalpest wrote:

I can sum this up in just a few words.
Exactly the same,,, only different.

Only a true dog lover will fully understand that.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 02 Apr 2024, 2:48 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
animalpest wrote:

I can sum this up in just a few words.
Exactly the same,,, only different.

Only a true dog lover will fully understand that.

I love my dog and it is part of the family. I struggle shooting roos after looking after joeys too.
But when you do shoot roos, dogs or whatever, there is a purpose (I hope).
Understand the sentiment with dogs though.

So, back to fox lures.....Look in your pantry, you will be amazed at what they are attracted to. There are basically 3 types of lures - social scents (urine etc), food (meat, blood etc) and curiosity lures. What you need is 2 types of lures to use at once, say a social scent and a food. Two or three lures spaced apart (300-600mm) is far better than one lure Simple single lures such as urine are consitant, but are much less effective than quality complex bait and lure mixes.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Apr 2024, 6:25 pm

animalpest wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
animalpest wrote:
Lazarus wrote:As a dog tragic, never met one I didn't want to take home, I'm very glad we don't have a wild dog problem,,,,,,,,,,

But when you do shoot roos, dogs or whatever, there is a purpose (I hope).
Understand the sentiment with dogs though.

Methinks,, Too little,, Far too late.
Woulda been far more refined if maybe you hadn't jumped the barrier before the starters pistol. :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 04 Apr 2024, 12:12 am

Haha, I have been in trouble with dingo puppies before.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2024, 6:47 am

Would dogs piss work on foxes?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Apr 2024, 3:07 pm

I tend to think dog piss would attract foxes But I’m just guessing. I suspect the curiosity factor would work. When ap says benn in trouble with dingo puppies b4 it prompts me to ask a question. The other week I was telling a grazier thst while I was bow hunting cape York I saw a bunch of cute dingo pups playing together… and he replied , you in all the time I have spent in the bush I have never found a litter of pups. He sounded as though he wished it was something he had seen. Do I gotta ask , who else has stumbled across this scene ? I assume OB don’t mind me straying off topic for a little bit ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2024, 4:03 pm

Blr243 wrote:I tend to think dog piss would attract foxes But I’m just guessing. I suspect the curiosity factor would work. When ap says benn in trouble with dingo puppies b4 it prompts me to ask a question. The other week I was telling a grazier thst while I was bow hunting cape York I saw a bunch of cute dingo pups playing together… and he replied , you in all the time I have spent in the bush I have never found a litter of pups. He sounded as though he wished it was something he had seen. Do I gotta ask , who else has stumbled across this scene ? I assume OB don’t mind me straying off topic for a little bit ?

Not me personally but I know two different landowners that have both found litters in ironbark hollow logs.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2024, 4:53 pm

"I assume OB don’t mind me straying off topic for a little bit ?"

Na, that's ok.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2024, 11:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I assume OB don’t mind me straying off topic for a little bit ?"

Na, that's ok.

Thanks OB, just a small deflection,,,,,,, and we're back on topic.
I've observed foxes much more than shot them (not wanting to spook my main target/s, being dogs) and from these observations I have seen countless foxes meandering across all sorts of terrain and see them taking a dump far in excess of seeing one squat for a pee.
That being said,,, on the occasions that a dog/s have traversed the same area/s (sometimes up to several nights later) I see them pass the very location that a fox has taken a dump,,,,,,,, and they show no indicaton at all, that they've noticed,, or picked up the scent of the "dump" .

Knowing just how good their noses are,,,,,, I can only judge that they have in fact picked up the scent,,, but instinctively know straight up that it is from a fox and therefore totally ignore it,, as foxes hold no interest to them.
Hopefully this goes some way towards helping your query.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 06 Apr 2024, 12:36 pm

Yes it's an interesting observation that apex animals take less interest in lower species animals piddle but the reverse occurs.

During a dog trapping program in SA we caught 23 cats to 127 dogs using dog poo and piddle.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Apr 2024, 9:38 pm

Ok. In retrospect I should have started a new thread asking about fox lures etc.
Anyway this is I think a fair summary..
There are three main types of lures.

1. Food related bait such as road kill, chooks, fish etc. Almost any food will do. I think the more stink the better?
2. Social/smell, such as piss.
3. Curiosity/attractive lures such as white moving feather, better to use two.

Two types of lure is much better than just one, e.g social plus a food.

Then there are calls, another thread I guess.

Dogs piss is no good for foxes but should help for hunting dogs.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 10:55 am

animalpest wrote:Yes it's an interesting observation that apex animals take less interest in lower species animals piddle but the reverse occurs.

During a dog trapping program in SA we caught 23 cats to 127 dogs using dog poo and piddle.

Wife watched a show yesterday ch44. Dogs are used on a tiny island near Warnambool to teter foxes to protect penguins. Been working for years.
Apparently just the dog pissing around the island is enough to discourage the foxes. So, dont do what I did, use dogs piss to attract foxes.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 09 Apr 2024, 9:13 am

I was watching through a number of SD memory cards, from when we had a fleet of cameras about 10 years back; watching the fleet of dogs making the rounds...

With the dog lure question in mind, I took note of a series of pics taken one night.
First 15-20 images were of a rabbit, for about half an hour in front of the camera, while he dug around and did all the Rabbitty things..

About half an hour later, 2 dogs appeared, and they were VERY interested in where this rabbit had been working.
Made me wonder if Rabbit-Wee, or the paper from the bottom of a rabbit cage, mightnt be something to try?
I USED to know a couple of people who kept caged rabbits(one was a magician, of all things), but no-one in recent years.
I just wonder if the paper from the rabbits cage, mightnt be compulsory sniffing by a dog?
Or possibly also a fox??

Anyway; just sparked my attention, when I saw the interest from the dogs.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2024, 8:20 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:I USED to know a couple of people who kept caged rabbits(one was a magician, of all things), but no-one in recent years.

Anyway; just sparked my attention, when I saw the interest from the dogs.

LOL,,,, it would spark the attention of the rabbit board officers if said caged rabbits were here in QLD. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control