Winter Bunnies for the pot.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Winter Bunnies for the pot.

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2021, 12:46 pm

I needed some Bunnies for the pot so I visited a spot where I hadnt been for at least 12 months and as luck would have it it paid of.
The first one taken was at 400mts with the .260, those little 100gn Noslers really hit hard and sad to say the target was inedible :lol: .
I then shifted to an area where I have practically ignored for 12 months because of frequent hunting activity, Im glad I did , cos the resident occupants were not used to being sniped at distance, they have only become educated from a flicking spotlight. :lol: :thumbsup:
Anyway, my goal was for head shots only as the .223 would have shredded the the meat, as the weather was reasonably calm it was not a huge ask.
So I set up my trusty sako (love that gun :thumbsup:) at a distance of around 200 to 250 yds and waited which wasnt long when the first one appeared at 230, BANG missed DOH!, I forgot to lower the scope turrets by 2 clicks for the colder weather.
The next one at 250yds wasnt so lucky and had his brain and other bits and pieces swiftly removed...well that set the pace for the remaining 5 Bunnies, I had to discard one cos he had a large bite mark on his arse from fighting with the other Bunnies (mating season) and also another that was hit in the base of the head which bruised and shredded the shoulder meat.
Anyway, there are now four in the freezer which I sell at $25.00 each , yup you read right, here in the Central Market in Adelaide they sell Farmed Rabbits for.....35 bucks each!!!!!, I have already sold two with more orders on the way :lol: :drinks:
Well I hope you enjoy the vid and apologies for such a long stretch but no Bunnies means no vids.
cheers
Sean.
https://youtu.be/apZ_H-uWtgQ
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Winter Bunnies for the pot.

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jul 2021, 1:12 pm

:lol: :lol: As usual Mate you deserve a round of :clap: :clap: :clap:

I couldn't help but notice,,,, that last one was pointing with his toe,, as if to say "here Elmer, X marks the spot"

I can't remember whether I asked in the past or not,,,,,,, but how many bunnies do you lose due to brain shot kicking themselves down the burrow ?

Bunnies have now become like sheep knuckles.
Once the butchers used to sell them off as "dog bones",,,,,,,,, but now they're a delicacy, and the price shows it.

Cheers Mate :thumbsup:

PS: Good to see you are at last getting some remuneration.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 12 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

There is some mighty fine shootin there Elmer, but at my age I need to get a lot closer to even contemplate results like that. I am certainly impressed and jealous. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2021, 4:57 pm

Die Judicii wrote::lol: :lol: As usual Mate you deserve a round of :clap: :clap: :clap:

I couldn't help but notice,,,, that last one was pointing with his toe,, as if to say "here Elmer, X marks the spot"

I can't remember whether I asked in the past or not,,,,,,, but how many bunnies do you lose due to brain shot kicking themselves down the burrow ?

Bunnies have now become like sheep knuckles.
Once the butchers used to sell them off as "dog bones",,,,,,,,, but now they're a delicacy, and the price shows it.

Cheers Mate :thumbsup:

PS: Good to see you are at last getting some remuneration.

Howdy DJ,
and thanks...When I use cfs head shot Bunnies stay put except sometimes the small ones tend to thrash around a lot.
When I use a .22lr there is more of a chance of that happening but less so with my .22mag.
I tend to get a lot of Italians buying Bunny they tell me Rabbits in Italy are very scarce, I spose that's why they don't mind forking out the 25.
cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2021, 5:31 pm

Bugman wrote:There is some mighty fine shootin there Elmer, but at my age I need to get a lot closer to even contemplate results like that. I am certainly impressed and jealous. :)

Lol, cheers Bugman, mate I know the feeling, my eyes are getting a little dodgy now I'm starting to wind out the ocular lense more and more.
Am thinking about shooting with glasses, do you use when you shoot and what's it like?
cheers,
Sean
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 12 Jul 2021, 5:51 pm

Nice!
Were you walking out to get each one when you shot it, or just wait and pick them all up at once?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Jul 2021, 6:33 pm

Elmer wrote:
Bugman wrote:There is some mighty fine shootin there Elmer, but at my age I need to get a lot closer to even contemplate results like that. I am certainly impressed and jealous. :)

Lol, cheers Bugman, mate I know the feeling, my eyes are getting a little dodgy now I'm starting to wind out the ocular lense more and more.
Am thinking about shooting with glasses, do you use when you shoot and what's it like?
cheers,
Sean

What's it like with glasses? In may case a tad difficult with open sights BUT with the diopter adjustment set correctly for me, I don't use my glasses. Works for me. :D
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2021, 6:53 pm

$25 each :shock:
Iv just been blasting away at then with the 12 gauge, suddenly it feels Iike I'm wasting rabbits.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2021, 7:35 pm

disco stu wrote:Nice!
Were you walking out to get each one when you shot it, or just wait and pick them all up at once?

Yes, as soon as they were shot I would collect them skin and gut them etc .
They were normally cleaned within 10mins of being shot.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2021, 7:36 pm

Bugman wrote:
Elmer wrote:

cheers,
Sean

What's it like with glasses? In may case a tad difficult with open sights BUT with the diopter adjustment set correctly for me, I don't use my glasses. Works for me. :D

:thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bill » 12 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

great result Elmer I can buy farmed rabbit for $20 locally, lots of Bacon, white wine, eschalots, cream and dijon mustard, very bloody tasty :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 12 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm

G'day Elmer,

With respect to glasses and shooting I've been very short-sighted since about 12 years old. Being relatively new to rifle shooting I've had to wear glasses, both with scoped rifles and also my 10 m. air rifles with dioptre sights. Without glasses I cannot use open sights. I wear graduated lenses which are generally excellent for everyday use, but found that I was not always finding the 'sweet' spot when sighting through a rifle scope as general purpose spectacles are not necessarily designed for rifle shooting. I often found myself re-focusing the eye piece to bring the cross hairs back into focus as best I could as my sighting eye became tired and I experienced a ghosting' effect. My head position on the stock was also 'variable' as I moved my head to try to find the right spot in the lens of the glasses. I'm now wearing a pair of safety glasses with my reading prescription only for shooting and the 'sweet' spot being set in the lens so that my head position on the cheek rest brings my eye to the correct sighting level through the glasses and then the 'scope. If I need to walk around the paddock I simply put on my general spectacles. I bought the safety glasses after watching the explosion of the .50 cal. rifle that blew up in the face of Scott from Kentucky Ballistics. Up to that time I had not considered eye protection and simply relied on my ordinary spectacles. So far the new glasses are fine and I'm not having any ghosting or double image problems. My head position is more stable and still, hence my accuracy has improved greatly.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jul 2021, 9:18 pm

Glasses,,,,,,, (interesting by topic), but as you asked the question Elmer, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here as I'm sure there will be many other contributions.

I in latter life have only ever wore el cheapo magnifying glasses for reading.
About 6 months ago, I noticed that my general long distance sight had dropped slightly,,, so I thought I'd get some prescription glasses specially for
the purpose of shooting.
After having all the testing etc they recommended glasses ( I had specified that I wanted them just for shooting, and mainly at night. )

So I paid the money, and in due time got the glasses.
I should've kept my wallet in my pocket.
After a couple of weeks trialing them, I packed them away and have never used them since.
I found that they made not the tiniest amount of difference.

Maybe in a few years more I might dust them off and try again.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 13 Jul 2021, 1:41 am

Nice Shooting Elmer always enjoy Your you-tubes

I have worn trifocals for the last 5 years My head position on the stocks the is the most important thing I find not sure if I could take snap shots anymore with a scope peep sights yes or reflex are ok . Pistol funny thing not a problem
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2021, 11:28 am

Bill wrote:great result Elmer I can buy farmed rabbit for $20 locally, lots of Bacon, white wine, eschalots, cream and dijon mustard, very bloody tasty :thumbsup:

That sounds like the perfect meal on a cold winters night :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2021, 11:32 am

pomemax wrote:Nice Shooting Elmer always enjoy Your you-tubes

I have worn trifocals for the last 5 years My head position on the stocks the is the most important thing I find not sure if I could take snap shots anymore with a scope peep sights yes or reflex are ok . Pistol funny thing not a problem

Glad you enjoy them mate...yeah personally I'm trying to avoid glasses,my lr vision is fine but reading is a different thing.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2021, 11:36 am

Die Judicii wrote:Glasses,,,,,,, (interesting by topic), but as you asked the question Elmer, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here as I'm sure there will be many other contributions.

I in latter life have only ever wore el cheapo magnifying glasses for reading.
About 6 months ago, I noticed that my general long distance sight had dropped slightly,,, so I thought I'd get some prescription glasses specially for
the purpose of shooting.
After having all the testing etc they recommended glasses ( I had specified that I wanted them just for shooting, and mainly at night. )

So I paid the money, and in due time got the glasses.
I should've kept my wallet in my pocket.
After a couple of weeks trialing them, I packed them away and have never used them since.
I found that they made not the tiniest amount of difference.

Maybe in a few years more I might dust them off and try again.

Yup I think it's an evil we must all face sooner or later.
I keep putting off having my eyes tested but I feel crunch time is fast approaching.
My lr vision is fine but I use Kmart special glasses for reading.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2021, 11:45 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day Elmer,

With respect to glasses and shooting I've been very short-sighted since about 12 years old. Being relatively new to rifle shooting I've had to wear glasses, both with scoped rifles and also my 10 m. air rifles with dioptre sights. Without glasses I cannot use open sights. I wear graduated lenses which are generally excellent for everyday use, but found that I was not always finding the 'sweet' spot when sighting through a rifle scope as general purpose spectacles are not necessarily designed for rifle shooting. I often found myself re-focusing the eye piece to bring the cross hairs back into focus as best I could as my sighting eye became tired and I experienced a ghosting' effect. My head position on the stock was also 'variable' as I moved my head to try to find the right spot in the lens of the glasses. I'm now wearing a pair of safety glasses with my reading prescription only for shooting and the 'sweet' spot being set in the lens so that my head position on the cheek rest brings my eye to the correct sighting level through the glasses and then the 'scope. If I need to walk around the paddock I simply put on my general spectacles. I bought the safety glasses after watching the explosion of the .50 cal. rifle that blew up in the face of Scott from Kentucky Ballistics. Up to that time I had not considered eye protection and simply relied on my ordinary spectacles. So far the new glasses are fine and I'm not having any ghosting or double image problems. My head position is more stable and still, hence my accuracy has improved greatly.

Jim

Hi Jim, yup it's a pain in the arse but it's something I'm going to have to give serious consideration to.
I saw that vid , he's a VERY lucky man having a .50 blowing up barley 30cms from your face is no joke.
I reckon if his Dad wasnt with him he would probably be feeding worms right now.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control