Freakin cold tonite

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Freakin cold tonite

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jul 2021, 11:57 pm

Glad I'm not sitting out overnight this night,,,,
Just looked at the forecast,,,,,,,,,, -3 degrees just before dawn. :thumbsdown: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Freakin cold tonite

Post by Apollo » 22 Jul 2021, 12:40 am

Toughen up sunshine... That's warm....

Come down south and find out what it's like when it doesn't register plus figures during the day...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jul 2021, 12:51 am

I've just given up and its a toasty 7c
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Downunder » 22 Jul 2021, 5:45 am

Only one element that gives me the irrates, wind.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 22 Jul 2021, 7:26 am

I grew up in Toowoomba and trust me, that place is as cold as Supermans cave and the wind makes it worse.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jul 2021, 8:50 am

I also hate the wind. I hesitate to complain about too much sun or rain because I know we all die without them. Can’t say the same for wind
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 22 Jul 2021, 9:28 am

I was out last Wednesday and Thursday night's standing on the back of a Ute. Cold but ok until a storm hit. Wind and rain tends to dampen my enthusiasm.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Jul 2021, 4:55 pm

Apollo wrote:Toughen up sunshine... That's warm....

Come down south and find out what it's like when it doesn't register plus figures during the day...

I'm the one that's laughing,,,,,, :lol:
I know very well what it's like down south,,, I used to live down there, and never regretted shifting up to Qld.
Bugger the south,,, apart from being a miserable cold most of the time,, it rains for 9 mths of the year and drips off the bushes for the rest.

:lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2021, 6:24 pm

I remember years ago when I was keen I tried to climb a tower on I think Mt Terrible, in Vic. There was a snow storm at the time. Well, guess what, my hand stuck to the ladder rung for about 10 seconds. No gloves. Just got lucky and managed to get free. Those were the days.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 23 Jul 2021, 5:26 am

i feel for you mob down south our winter only consists of about 3 weeks of under 10 deg i have only put my jumper on once to go to work and mabie 3-4 times in the buggy we are lucky BUT summer is months of 35-45 deg yay!!!!!
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 Jul 2021, 11:22 am

-3 is quite pleasant.

I agree the wind though, that is what gets you.

I'm not really happy over 25C, so I'll take the cold. Today it was 24C in the middle of summer here in the mountains but I was floating in a kayak on 5C water today, so it was very refreshing.

My next trip to Australia I'm trying to decide which month to go, it will be sometime between May-Sept with early October at the latest.

How people do it in the northern climes in Australia in the tropics, I have no idea, it would drive me crazy.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2021, 11:47 am

wanneroo wrote:-3 is quite pleasant.

I agree the wind though, that is what gets you.

I'm not really happy over 25C, so I'll take the cold. Today it was 24C in the middle of summer here in the mountains but I was floating in a kayak on 5C water today, so it was very refreshing.

My next trip to Australia I'm trying to decide which month to go, it will be sometime between May-Sept with early October at the latest.

How people do it in the northern climes in Australia in the tropics, I have no idea, it would drive me crazy.

Sh1t, I want to move there.lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 24 Jul 2021, 3:56 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:i feel for you mob down south our winter only consists of about 3 weeks of under 10 deg i have only put my jumper on once to go to work and mabie 3-4 times in the buggy we are lucky BUT summer is months of 35-45 deg yay!!!!!

Gotta love SA :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 24 Jul 2021, 4:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Glad I'm not sitting out overnight this night,,,,
Just looked at the forecast,,,,,,,,,, -3 degrees just before dawn. :thumbsdown: :crazy:

Was going to go hunting, just can't see myself standing on a hill in 7c temps with a 30kph wind blowing while the Bunnies are snug as a bug in their burrows.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Downunder » 24 Jul 2021, 6:56 pm

Just finished the last cow run for the evening, not a critter stirring with the wind and full moon.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 25 Jul 2021, 3:33 pm

I was out doing a stakeout for wild dogs around Mansfield a while ago and could hear the frost crunching under my feet as i was wandering around in the wee small hours....2 balaclavas, thick jumper, heavy ridgeline jacket, waterproof pants, 2 pairs wooley socks and a pair of Bog boots....and i was still cold.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2021, 4:30 pm

brinny wrote:I was out doing a stakeout for wild dogs around Mansfield a while ago and could hear the frost crunching under my feet as i was wandering around in the wee small hours....2 balaclavas, thick jumper, heavy ridgeline jacket, waterproof pants, 2 pairs wooley socks and a pair of Bog boots....and i was still cold.....

Moving too slow ??
:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 25 Jul 2021, 4:54 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
brinny wrote:I was out doing a stakeout for wild dogs around Mansfield a while ago and could hear the frost crunching under my feet as i was wandering around in the wee small hours....2 balaclavas, thick jumper, heavy ridgeline jacket, waterproof pants, 2 pairs wooley socks and a pair of Bog boots....and i was still cold.....

Moving too slow ??
:lol:

Yeah....wouldnt have been so bad if i was moving around a bit....where i stationed myself was on top of a high ridgeline way down the back of the property and i could scan a bloody long way left, right and straight in front...and could see all the mobs of sheep that were getting targeted by the dogs without hardly even moving....saw everything else but dogs for the night...had deer walking not 20m from me, foxes the same....wombats, million roos...and every other critter....but no dogs....scanned right through from 6 pm to 6.30 am....it was a long cold night
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2021, 5:32 pm

[quote
Yeah....wouldnt have been so bad if i was moving around a bit....where i stationed myself was on top of a high ridgeline way down the back of the property and i could scan a bloody long way left, right and straight in front...and could see all the mobs of sheep that were getting targeted by the dogs without hardly even moving....saw everything else but dogs for the night...had deer walking not 20m from me, foxes the same....wombats, million roos...and every other critter....but no dogs....scanned right through from 6 pm to 6.30 am....it was a long cold night[/quote]

Welcome to the club Mate,,,,,,,
That's what I do night after night, ad infinite em. Except for just recently due to a health issue.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 25 Jul 2021, 6:35 pm

Die Judicii wrote:[quote
Yeah....wouldnt have been so bad if i was moving around a bit....where i stationed myself was on top of a high ridgeline way down the back of the property and i could scan a bloody long way left, right and straight in front...and could see all the mobs of sheep that were getting targeted by the dogs without hardly even moving....saw everything else but dogs for the night...had deer walking not 20m from me, foxes the same....wombats, million roos...and every other critter....but no dogs....scanned right through from 6 pm to 6.30 am....it was a long cold night

Welcome to the club Mate,,,,,,,
That's what I do night after night, ad infinite em. Except for just recently due to a health issue.[/quote]

Yep....i can relate to what you do because i do the exact same thing.....usually all nighters taking out problem critters....some nights i dont even fire a shot.....as what im after doesnt show...like this night im talking about here....but when i get what im there for....hell of a satisfying feeling.....but now im stuck in isolation and cant even leave the place, due to my sons school at Bacchus Marsh having covid positive teachers there, and some students.....lots of fun...
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

Speaking of being stuck in isolation, I just bought a sh!tload of ammo at Cleavers,,, and now it looks a bit dicey to be going to Brissie.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control