Cat Trap

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Cat Trap

Post by Stu222 » 02 Oct 2021, 7:29 am

I’ve got an eBay trap on the way. I’ll report back with results.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Marlin44 » 10 Oct 2021, 9:09 am

Good stuff.
I use a small saucer with a bit water in it and put small tin of cat food in saucer - stops the ants getting to it.
Some of the smarter animals you may have to get feeding first, before the trap is introduced. Once they get used to a free feed its game on.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 11 Oct 2021, 8:08 pm

how hard is it to trap ferral cats :crazy: i had a bit of go before i started trapping dogs and ill be buggered if i could get one :roll: town cat yeah easy but ferral :(
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 11 Oct 2021, 8:29 pm

I am surprised you catch dog's but not feral cats. From our records we caught an average of 1 cat per 15 dog's. In some places the capture rate on feral cats was 1 per 32 trap nights (out back SA).

Dog lures will trap cats.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Oct 2021, 5:56 am

there ya go haven't yet seen them on cams, got my first 2 pigs in a trap last weekend, is there any special trick to cage trap feral cats
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 13 Oct 2021, 9:59 am

Feral cats will often walk past a cage trap but next time will enter it. They need to be hungry at the time. And are often wary or neophobic about their first encounter with a trap.

Cover the floor with sand and make sure you have a backing against the back of the trap.

I have caught thousands of them
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 14 Oct 2021, 5:45 am

ok mate cheers any special bait, and is there any need to boil-de sent the trap??? thats where i thought i was going wrong with leaving my sent there
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 14 Oct 2021, 10:01 am

There is no advantage in cleaning the cages other than when cat blood gets on it!

The food varies slightly depends on whether you are using a hook or plate trap. Fish, rabbit or chicken works fine
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 15 Oct 2021, 6:14 am

cheers mate will have to have a crack next time im out i had a big feral cat hang around my trap(dog) the other night and wondered why it didn't fire but he has just missed the pan but he was extremely interested in the dog urine i had down
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2021, 3:57 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:there ya go haven't yet seen them on cams, got my first 2 pigs in a trap last weekend, is there any special trick to cage trap feral cats

I managed to get this one in the "pic box" ,,,, and got him the next night in the permanent sense. :lol:

STC_0004 - Copy.JPG
STC_0004 - Copy.JPG (704.55 KiB) Viewed 7116 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

CAt now resides In The great photography studio in the sky
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stu222 » 15 Oct 2021, 8:23 pm

Caught a couple.
Attachments
7698B328-257A-40BA-A2C0-D7D453DB2AF0.jpeg
7698B328-257A-40BA-A2C0-D7D453DB2AF0.jpeg (50.66 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stu222 » 15 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

Another. Both wild as hell, spitting and yowling. No collars. Council came to collect. At $1 a tin of food it’s money well spent.
Attachments
CCA4C830-77DD-4DF5-9037-AE36F34F1212.jpeg
CCA4C830-77DD-4DF5-9037-AE36F34F1212.jpeg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 16 Oct 2021, 5:54 am

true that mate well done, we had one pissing on the walkway at my mums place so i trapped it gave it to council (they gave it straight back)i trapped it again a week later and relocated it to catty haven, im keen to trap some ferals
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Marlin44 » 16 Oct 2021, 8:03 am

For fussy cats, put the tinned food beside trap for the first couple of nights. They are creatures of habit, so once they get used to a free feed, put food in trap.
My old man and myself are having a bit of a trap off. He's streaked ahead with 16 so far this year.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Oct 2021, 5:52 pm

Marlin44 wrote:For fussy cats, put the tinned food beside trap for the first couple of nights. They are creatures of habit, so once they get used to a free feed, put food in trap.
My old man and myself are having a bit of a trap off. He's streaked ahead with 16 so far this year.

I'm impressed. Local council must love him. :allegedly: :roll:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2021, 8:32 pm

Instead of cheap tin cat food sometimes consider the human consumption suitable cheap tins of sardines. They are truly disgusting quality and sometimes cheaper than cat food
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 16 Oct 2021, 8:39 pm

Good to see you having success
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by CT hillbilly » 17 Oct 2021, 6:10 am

16 is a good effort mate i will have to get serious and have a good crack i think the dogs have slowed up a bit so i will have a go at some kittys
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Marlin44 » 17 Oct 2021, 6:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:Instead of cheap tin cat food sometimes consider the human consumption suitable cheap tins of sardines. They are truly disgusting quality and sometimes cheaper than cat food

Yes definitely - honey soy chicken wings were like crack to them at one stage :D - they just got too expensive
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Marlin44 » 17 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Marlin44 wrote:For fussy cats, put the tinned food beside trap for the first couple of nights. They are creatures of habit, so once they get used to a free feed, put food in trap.

I'm impressed. Local council must love him. :allegedly: :roll:

First name basis AND never the same cat twice. If it's chipped the fine doubles for second impoundment
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Oct 2021, 7:42 pm

Marlin44 wrote:First name basis AND never the same cat twice. If it's chipped the fine doubles for second impoundment

Should be mandatory capital punishment for 1st offence.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 18 Oct 2021, 6:08 am

from now on i wont get the same one twice ether
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrMaggoo » 24 Oct 2021, 6:04 am

One of my favourite foot hold trap, cat sets is to find a log or place a log running parallel to a track or road place three different urine’s along the log about 30 to 50cm apart then set your trap between two of the urines with the centre of the pan about 100 to 150mm off the log. I usually use dog,cat and fox urine in that order, helps when your re-lure your set. The idea is to get the cat to walk down the edge of the log smelling the urine. Despite what people say you will catch all predators on dog urine, if you can get urine from a dominant bitch in heat you have the Holly Grail of trapping
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by CT hillbilly » 24 Oct 2021, 7:11 am

do you use the bridger 1.5's soft jaw or the normal bigger traps i run the WTSNo.3 and am very happy with the performance
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 24 Oct 2021, 10:03 am

1.5 through to #3 is fine. If you are allowed to use foot-holds in your State on cats.

In WA it is illegal.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 24 Oct 2021, 10:15 am

ZaineB wrote:
Stu222 wrote:I’ll be taking it to the council for them to deal with.

couldnt think of a worse use of ratepayer dollars, 50c 12 gauge BB round to the broadside or head... nuff said. ALL cats outside are a declared pest in Australia, not one Cat outside is a Pet, only those kept indoors or in enclosures on private property are pets.

Above are my rules of engagement.
Do not shoo the bloody things or turn the hose on them etc, they return regardless and are more crafty.
I once caught one in a possum cage, looked like it may have been domestic so I pissed on it, kicked the cage around and left it out overnight [Winter in Southern VIC]. let it out the next morning.
It was back three days later but avoided the trap like the plague, HW97K / .22 headshot.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 24 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

ZaineB - cats outside are NOT a Declared Pest. Only feral cats are.
In WA Domestic cats are not. Stray cats are not. Roaming domestic cats are not.

Let's keep within the law and as the rules of this forum say "Promotion of illegal activities is prohibited".
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 26 Oct 2021, 6:04 am

it may have enjoyed the golden shower :lol: :lol: :lol:
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal