New gun dog for ducks, rabbits and quail

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

New gun dog for ducks, rabbits and quail

Post by ToyotaBoy » 22 Apr 2014, 6:26 pm

Hey guys and gals

Finally figured out to put up a post on here (bloody technology lol). Let me stat by saying great site, full of info and tips. It's great to see people sharing their knowledge. Soooooooo now its my turn.

Not long ago my good old faithfull dog left me and is now chasing ducks and rabbits in the afterlife. She was a Gungarian Viszla.

Now like all hunters throughout life we will have that 1 dog that stood out from all others, she was it for me. I'm now at the stage where I'm looking for a new dog, I'm trying to avoid the viszla for the obvious reason.

I've been looking at either a English pointer or a German short haired pointer. The dog will be used on ducks, rabbits, quail and will be taken out with me as a "companion dog" when looking for deer.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these dogs? or can you recommend another type of breed.

Cheers
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: new gun dog

Post by Chronos » 22 Apr 2014, 7:32 pm

Hey toyotaboy,

We are new to gun dogs but we have a pair of 18 month old GSP's

Chronos (my name sake) seen here is a natural retreiver and will happily swim 50m or so out into a dam or the ocean to retrieve a ball or Dokken decoy but being new to hunting with dogs we are yet to truely test him in the field.

His litter mate shown here is a fair bit bigger and seems more of an indicating dog, less driven to retrieve or swim

As I said we are we to gun dogs so some aspects of their training has been lacking. They're happy to do most things we command but when together their competitiveness interferes with their obedience.

While a bit bigger than your old girl the GSP is a similar dog to the Hungarian vizsler and a size smaller than a Weimaraner, our GSP's are around 30kg and get through about 500gr of meat and cooked veges or rice or canned food plus 2 cups of dry food a day

We execise them for about an hour every two days and they spend most of the time inside when were home.

They do get a bit spoiled as is natural but have a great nature and will always greet you with gusto

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 22 Apr 2014, 8:05 pm

you're lucky i didn't steel them on Sunday! lol
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 22 Apr 2014, 8:31 pm

petemacsydney wrote:you're lucky i didn't steel them on Sunday! lol

Lol. I'd probably let you have them when they were barking at the cows mooing in the middle of the night.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by ToyotaBoy » 22 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

beautiful looking dogs, luv the solid brown colord dog
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cruze82 » 22 Apr 2014, 8:46 pm

Hi Toyota boy

I've have had a lot of luck with English springer spaniels the last one I had was by far my favourite.

She was not gun shy and was easily trained to pick up a hard boiled egg with no marks, so great duck dog!

Also was only one of a hand full of dogs that I have ever seen that would dive under the water to collect things .

I had never seen a platypus in the wild until one day duck shooting on the Murry river where there was a lul in ducks, so I was throwing rocks in the river for the dog to collect and sure enough she popped up with a very agitated platypus in her mouth.

I understand not wanting to get another breed the same, I now have a German Sheppard he is only young but showing good signs of being a good gun dog
but at the moment he is a tad to energetic !
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ToyotaBoy » 22 Apr 2014, 9:15 pm

Call me naive cruze82 but a german sheppard as a gun dog, never heard of them being those before.

An old school duck hunter from maaaaaaaaaaany yrs ago only ever had springer spaniels, great water dogs they are
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cruze82 » 22 Apr 2014, 9:22 pm

we don't really have duck season in WA so he in not a duck dog! more feral cats dogs or take down a wounded goat
I had my spaniel for duck when I lived in vic
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ToyotaBoy » 22 Apr 2014, 9:58 pm

ahhh now i wud pay goood money to see a dog take down feral cats lol
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 22 Apr 2014, 10:23 pm

A German Sheppard's a good pal.

So many of them with the hip dysplasia and shoulder problems though it seems :(
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mahna » 22 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm

Over the years my neighbour has had four pure bred German Sheppards, all with joint problems :(
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 22 Apr 2014, 10:58 pm

He has been a great mate so far.

Luger.jpg
German Sheppard
Luger.jpg (176.7 KiB) Viewed 4715 times