.223 at various locations.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

.223 at various locations.

Post by Elmer » 28 Feb 2022, 2:18 pm

Hi people,
heres another vid using my trusty .223, the Bunnies have been scarce and these were taken at three different locations and of course in mostly gusty conditions.
I hope you enjoy,,,by the way, its been a little quiet on the forum lately.
atb,
Sean.
https://youtu.be/WXtrRqfWNiI
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: .223 at various locations.

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2022, 2:35 pm

Elmer wrote:Hi people,
heres another vid using my trusty .223, the Bunnies have been scarce and these were taken at three different locations and of course in mostly gusty conditions.
I hope you enjoy,,,by the way, its been a little quiet on the forum lately.
atb,
Sean.
https://youtu.be/WXtrRqfWNiI

I wish I could do that here.
We have a handful of rabbits appearing near the house finally, but nothing big enough to be worth eating yet. A neighbour down the road has good size rabbits in their front yard, plentiful enough to eat one now and then, hopefully ours last long enough to grow before calici takes them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 28 Feb 2022, 4:45 pm

I wish some backyard scientist could knock up an anti calici virus
I'm a member of the CISS, the reason is to keep tabs of the latest advancements in Calici Rabbit control.
Everytime I read about new developments (such as the then new K5 strain ) my heart sinks.
Of course I don't want it to go back to pre myxo days but would like to see the numbers bounce back again as they were before Calici.
Yeah I know I'm being selfish but Rabbit hunting is my sport and passion.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 28 Feb 2022, 5:34 pm

Definitely agree with you there Elmer. I used to do a lot of bunny hunting when I was younger however hasn’t been any around my neck of the woods for a long time mate.
Would be great to see a couple poke about (not enough to cause damage etc) so I could get a few for the pot every now and then mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2022, 6:34 pm

Elmer wrote:I wish some backyard scientist could knock up an anti calici virus
I'm a member of the CISS, the reason is to keep tabs of the latest advancements in Calici Rabbit control.
Everytime I read about new developments (such as the then new K5 strain ) my heart sinks.
Of course I don't want it to go back to pre myxo days but would like to see the numbers bounce back again as they were before Calici.

I agree, control, not eradication, but if they can eradicate them it's another nail in the coffin for recreational hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 28 Feb 2022, 7:33 pm

They blend in with the landscape those bunnies!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Feb 2022, 8:40 pm

JimTom wrote:Definitely agree with you there Elmer. I used to do a lot of bunny hunting when I was younger however hasn’t been any around my neck of the woods for a long time mate.
Would be great to see a couple poke about (not enough to cause damage etc) so I could get a few for the pot every now and then mate.

Yeah,,,,,,, but the "fines" still apply.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Feb 2022, 8:50 pm

Hi Mate,
I just gotta say that it would be a complete waste of time and resources if I could bust bunny brains at those distances in the heat.
By the time it would take me to walk out and retrieve em,,,,,,,,, the meat would be off. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 01 Mar 2022, 9:57 am

JimTom wrote:Definitely agree with you there Elmer. I used to do a lot of bunny hunting when I was younger however hasn’t been any around my neck of the woods for a long time mate.

Yes, the numbers before calici were plentiful but not out of control.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 01 Mar 2022, 9:59 am

Lsfan wrote:They blend in with the landscape those bunnies!

LOL, add grass and you can hardly see them.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 01 Mar 2022, 10:01 am

bladeracer wrote:
Elmer wrote:I wish some backyard scientist could knock up an anti calici virus

I agree, control, not eradication, but if they can eradicate them it's another nail in the coffin for recreational hunting.

Definitely, that would be an excellent excuse for further restrictions.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 01 Mar 2022, 10:07 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hi Mate,
I just gotta say that it would be a complete waste of time and resources if I could bust bunny brains at those distances in the heat.
By the time it would take me to walk out and retrieve em,,,,,,,,, the meat would be off. :lol:

:lol: you've got a point there....I remember when I was using the .260 to shoot them past 700yds, bloody hell, it was a bloody workout just walking down to retrieve them. :lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control