Wild Dog Breeding?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Wild Dog Breeding?

Post by CT hillbilly » 26 Mar 2022, 6:36 am

I have just finished a Trapping Program up here in the Towers for work (Land Protection)at the town Dump witch seen 5 Dogs in a week Trapped. (the family that has been harassing the public)
4 Bitches and 1 big male dog, 3 of the 4 bitches were in Heat already???? is it me or does this seem a bit early in the year, Spoke to Another trapper and he had trapped a bitch on heat also2 days prior, May have to start hitting them up harder if there coming on early??? anyone else found this?,
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Wild Dog Breeding?

Post by animalpest » 26 Mar 2022, 11:11 am

Are they dog's or dingoes?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Mar 2022, 11:40 am

I can't even comment on your particular issue re "bitches on heat" because in my general area it seems that there
are no dogs at all at the current time.
All the properties that I normally shoot have just dried up as far as dogs are concerned.
There haven't been any stock losses or attacks for approx four months now.
And,,,,,,, nobody has reported seeing any dogs either.

One property in particular that used to have a real bad dog problem, and where I've shot the most,,, has now put sheep back into
the section of his property that he wasn't game to put sheep, for the last seven years because of dogs.
That was two months ago,,,,,,, and he hasn't lost a single sheep to date.

The nearest place that has been having a few dogs in the last six months,,,, is just on 95 klms away from the area I cover.

Fingers crossed,,,,,,,, the dogs will continue to not be in my general area for quite some time.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 30 Mar 2022, 6:29 am

animalpest wrote:Are they dog's or dingoes?

typical cross dogs mate still red in color but thicker, the big male dog was far to large to be ding
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 30 Mar 2022, 6:30 am

That's a good thing mate!!!! No dogs
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Phil Lawlor » 30 Mar 2022, 6:46 am

There seems to be ongoing siting's of wild dogs out the back of Kelso, Ross River Dam area out the back of Townsville. We live on semi rural acreage and talk to our neighbours and they are about. A lot of people on small acreage out here have chooks and other domestic animals. the wild dogs have an ongoing food supply including road kill and domestic rubbish. There are numerous small farm dams and the Ross Dam which has numerous species of bird life so they have food options. They are also in close proximity to forested areas and mountain ranges for cover and protection. The council has a wild dog eradication program that they use from time to time to target certain areas close to Townsville.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 30 Mar 2022, 10:28 am

That's good to hear mate, i have done a program up at Harvey's range earlier in the year trapping 2 dogs in 2 nights only to be rained out! between myself and a couple of the smaller hobbie farm owners we got rid of 5 of the 6 problem dogs that had been killing stock, i work for land protection for the Towers Council and am just starting to put trapping programs into play, not to mention our 1080 program starting on the 4th may,
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 30 Mar 2022, 10:43 am

Breeding season for wild dogs (dingo x) are less defined in the tropics. There tends to be more breeding at varying times of the year.
Elsewhere, even the sperm count of males is higher during the typical breeding season.

Of course those dogs that are not high in dingo purity could be on heat twice a year, the same as domestic dogs.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 11 Apr 2022, 8:09 pm

true mate, I've noticed that the estimated breeding times are becoming wider and more varied over the last few seasons
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 11 Apr 2022, 10:11 pm

Yeah, everything is out of whack.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2