SA Deer count

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

SA Deer count

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Apr 2022, 3:57 pm

I thought t his was interesting...
"Helicopters equipped with thermal imaging cameras will be taking off across South Australia's south-east in coming days to provide a more accurate record of feral deer populations"

Hopefully they publish the data, there's definitely loads of deer getting around the South East.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/ ... /100981536
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: SA Deer count

Post by bigpete » 12 Apr 2022, 7:00 pm

Yes there are deer everywhere.....apparently. Just don't try getting access to any blocks though lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Apr 2022, 9:31 pm

bigpete wrote:Yes there are deer everywhere.....apparently. Just don't try getting access to any blocks though lol

The SE is pretty thick with them, apparently deer strike is as common as roo strike in vehicles down that way.

There's a few my way but nowhere near those numbers, they move back and forth along the between Mount Barker and Murray Bridge using a combination of the Adelaide / Melbourne railway line , SE Freeway easements and long narrow patches of scrub like the one visible from Google earth (satellite view) between White Hill and Callington, they frequent some of the larger and more quiet properties near me, I've only shot one locally just out of Mount barker,

I've got a mate near Port Pirie who use to them along with goats quite successfully in the hills somewhere behind Napperby.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MtnMan » 13 Apr 2022, 7:09 pm

What bigpete said. Same everywhere, lots of deer but access to hunt them is next to impossible. The hardest part about deer hunting is getting access to somewhere good to hunt them.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2022, 7:31 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:Yes there are deer everywhere.....apparently. Just don't try getting access to any blocks though lol

The SE is pretty thick with them, apparently deer strike is as common as roo strike in vehicles down that way.

There's a few my way but nowhere near those numbers, they move back and forth along the between Mount Barker and Murray Bridge using a combination of the Adelaide / Melbourne railway line , SE Freeway easements and long narrow patches of scrub like the one visible from Google earth (satellite view) between White Hill and Callington, they frequent some of the larger and more quiet properties near me, I've only shot one locally just out of Mount barker,

I've got a mate near Port Pirie who use to them along with goats quite successfully in the hills somewhere behind Napperby.

I've seen deer all over the place. There's frigging heaps of them. I've shot 2 in McLaren Vale even,when I worked in the vineyards. They're absolutely everywhere. A mate shot a 17 point red stag towards the south east a week ago. But they to get access to properties with them....you're generally s**t outta luck. I did have a place to go for fallow, but last year my " mate " who I had access through went strange on me,so ends that story. Something will turn up though. Just amazes me how many times I hear about " the big deer problem " but if you ever ask for access......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control