Thump,, Pop

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Thump,, Pop

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm

While travelling home from interstate I was amazed at just how many foxes are getting about at the moment.
In particular was one stretch of forty kilometers in which we observed ten foxes either dashing across the road or chowing down on roadkill off to the side.
If this is any indication of numbers,, it sure will be a busy time once things dry out a bit.
One in particular was an adult that was a fawny yellow color of which I haven't seen the likes of before.

But the highlight of the night came as I was trying to have a snooze while my partner was driving.
There was a sudden thump and then a large popping noise.
My partner said "oh sh!t,,,,, that was a cat"

Now that surprised the hell outta me cos,,,,,,, she loves cats (much to my disgust)
She just said "oh well,,,,,, he just used up his ninth life",,,,,,,,, and kept on driving. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Thump,, Pop

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2022, 8:34 pm

I ran one over on dusk a few months ago.
I thought it was some roadkill coming up, but just as I got to it, it got to its feet. I felt it hit under the ute, looked in the mirror and it was still on its feet. I’m sure it would have died, but man are they tough!
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 02 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm

sure the fawny yellow one wasn't a dingo
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2022, 8:42 pm

northdude wrote:sure the fawny yellow one wasn't a dingo

Nope,,,,,,, it had the typical fox brush.
And I think i've shot/seen enough dingo/dogs in my time to pick the difference, especially at the close range that this one was and lit
up well with the four driving lights.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control