The weather to blame ?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

The weather to blame ?

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Nov 2022, 10:14 pm

I'm tending to think that weather is at least one of the reasons, why there hasn't been much at all of full on hunt reports posted in
both Varminting or Big Game sections of the forum for quite a while now,,,,,,,,,,,
As opposed to much earlier,,,,, it was a frequently added to and with interesting and informative posts of hunts.

Seems to be a bit dead in the water lately.

Hopefully with improvements in the weather,,,,, and some weeding done here,,,,,,, things can get back to normal.

:thumbsup: :clap: :friends: :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The weather to blame ?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2022, 12:14 am

I'm sure the weather is a big impact, vehicular access in and out of lots of places is impossible just now. LERAA have postponed this weekend's shoot at Rankins Springs to February now as the access road is still underwater. My brother is 60km north of Canberra and said the road was under 900mm of water on Sunday and the town shut down. Lots of foxes around here currently but all the spotlighters shoot from vehicles and the paddocks are not suitable for vehicles yet. We've had the fire pump running for days to pump the rainwater tanks up to the dam so they don't overflow.

Die Judicii wrote:I'm tending to think that weather is at least one of the reasons, why there hasn't been much at all of full on hunt reports posted in
both Varminting or Big Game sections of the forum for quite a while now,,,,,,,,,,,
As opposed to much earlier,,,,, it was a frequently added to and with interesting and informative posts of hunts.

Seems to be a bit dead in the water lately.

Hopefully with improvements in the weather,,,,, and some weeding done here,,,,,,, things can get back to normal.

:thumbsup: :clap: :friends: :drinks:
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2022, 6:40 am

It certainly been sh1t in SW Vic for months. I've hardly been out.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Nov 2022, 7:10 am

I've been either too busy working,injured,sick,or too poor to get out for most of this year....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Nov 2022, 7:29 am

Too busy workin has been my problem. I strongly thi k Dj is correct. Paddocks is too wet. Tracks will be buggered up .. access roads flooded impassable . Grass too long to c anything. Mozzies and sand flies out of control. Fortunately I have managed to get work under control or put it off till later. Hopefully in less than one week. I’ll be back out in the bush hunting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 15 Nov 2022, 8:01 am

Same here, hard track ends at the shearing shed, boggy everywhere else.
Add to that the fact that there's been bugger all days not wet and stupidly windy.

A few rabbits round the sheds is the grand total.

Been killing paper mostly.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2022, 9:38 am

Just watched the Vic weather.
Snow predicted down to 600 metres.

Brrrr too cold for me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2022, 11:35 am

Lazarus wrote:Same here, hard track ends at the shearing shed, boggy everywhere else.
Add to that the fact that there's been bugger all days not wet and stupidly windy.

We've been seeing occasional rabbits around the last few weeks, puts a smile in my heart when one pops out. Every farm needs to have a few rabbits around. I expect calici will kill them all off again very soon though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 15 Nov 2022, 11:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Same here, hard track ends at the shearing shed, boggy everywhere else.

We've been seeing occasional rabbits around the last few weeks, puts a smile in my heart when one pops out. Every farm needs to have a few rabbits around. I expect calici will kill them all off again very soon though.

I'm afraid I have had a very dim view of them, cute as they may be, since my otherwise hale and hearty 36yo Paloose Pony broke through into a burrow and broke his left tibia 12 years ago.

I don't enjoy killing things, except blowflys and mozzies, but I will give the good news to every one I can.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2022, 1:25 pm

Lazarus wrote:I'm afraid I have had a very dim view of them, cute as they may be, since my otherwise hale and hearty 36yo Paloose Pony broke through into a burrow and broke his left tibia 12 years ago.

I don't enjoy killing things, except blowflys and mozzies, but I will give the good news to every one I can.

A 36-year-old horse! I didn't even know that was possible, I thought they lived 15-20.
Wombats are a far bigger issue here, even I fall into those caves occasionally :-)
Rabbits were a staple diet for me for a couple years as a kid, virtually the only thing I ate, and Rose's parents lived on them, alongside ducks, here for many years. Just feels like something is missing when I'm not seeing rabbits bouncing about when I'm wandering the blocks, feels like a drought. A naughty wild rabbit dug his way into our meat rabbit's cage a few weeks back. We had no idea until Rose moved the cage one morning and the little prick started bouncing off the walls trying to escape, seems he'd been spending nights with her. Now our girl is nesting so we've probably got some wild babies coming soon.

Our neighbour told me last week that she's seen a mangy womble getting about recently that she'd like me to shoot. I haven't seen it yet but if I do I'd rather try hitting it with some ivermectin before knocking it off. We already lose too many of them on the roads here. Saw one last week. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/W0wrN-5nI-U then 20m further a red belly laying on the road getting some sun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9f0r9e5Bnw
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2022, 3:21 pm

Yep, nice tiger on a road last Monday. He didn't seem to like me poking him with a stick. Took a few goes to get him off the road.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 15 Nov 2022, 3:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
A 36-year-old horse! I didn't even know that was possible, I thought they lived 15-20.
Wombats are a far bigger issue here, even I fall into those caves occasionally :-)

Yeah, poor old Rocky, had him from a yearling. He was quite lost for a while after his little mate died, she was a Shetland who lasted 21yrs, my critters are family and tend to "live long and prosper" unless some accident or hideous lurgy gets them.

That bloody sarcoptic mange is around here too.
I saw one poor bugger about 3 months ago, a couple of k up the road, damn near naked and looking none too happy.

We had rabbit a bit when I was a kid too, a few ducks, got a turkey once, all with my little Model 04.
My Mum made a ruling of rabbits only after I came home with a poor old Waterhen.
She did her best with it but it was truly repugnant.

An old character told me years later that the best way to cook them is to put a rock inside them and cook them until the rock goes soft.
Then eat the rock.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 15 Nov 2022, 3:43 pm

Speaking of weather, Hughie's getting right frisky up here on the range.

Been blowing like crazy and had a couple of sharp bursts of what looked like sago snow.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Nov 2022, 3:48 pm

Must admit I like seeing rabbits about.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Nov 2022, 6:18 pm

Fuel prices can't be helping.
It's literally doubled in price in a very short time.
One of my favourite hunting trips around SA burns a minimum of 300 litres of diesel, with $2.30 in big towns and a tank full out bush for around $3.20 that's almost $800 bucks in juice alone, throw a few hundred bucks for food and piss on top and if your unluckily enough to destroy a tyre... she's becoming an expensive exercise to get out for a decent hunting trip.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Nov 2022, 8:23 pm

I calculated 3000 for Deisel and u n leaded for Ute quad and gen set it I spent two weeks on cape York .. part of the reason I changed my mind
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Nov 2022, 8:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, nice tiger on a road last Monday. He didn't seem to like me poking him with a stick. Took a few goes to get him off the road.

Your too kind,,,,,
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2022, 5:51 pm

The grass is so thick that it almost swallows up the VW
There are a few bouncing around but the grass has made any form of shooting next to impossible.
LR is a waist of time, so it's been mainly rimfires which is good fun.
I got 5 fox cubs wirh the. 22lr 2 weeks ago but the bunnies have been very quick dodging in and out of the thick grass.
And as usual the only s**t day of the week is Saturday and mostly in the arvo :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Nov 2022, 8:36 pm

Pissed down here for about 90minutes late in the day. So that fuked the evening hunt here.....again.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control