I know they're protected but,,,,

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

I know they're protected but,,,,

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jan 2023, 11:48 pm

I know they are protected,,,, but,,
We have Guinea Fowl because they help drive snakes away from the general area,, and this year alone two of the hens have nested
three times so far, and each and every time they have been driven off the nests and their eggs been eaten by bloody goannas.
We usually see a few goannas each year around the house and general yard area.
But this year, they seem to be coming in waves.
And they wreak havoc amongst the fowl.
A few years ago, I was forced to shoot one of the reptilian ba@tards because it was attacking my Jack Russell/Foxie dog on the back lawn.

They do grow to be a pretty decent size, and become a threat to pets etc around the house.

See the pics posted in "One in a million chance" in "off Topic"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: I know they're protected but,,,,

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jan 2023, 12:20 am

The blackfellas in the Kimberely loved their goanna meat. I don't know whether it would actually be legal but maybe if your area is considered a traditional food gathering area an Aboriginal friend might be lawfully allowed to take a goanna for food as long as they use traditional methods? Might be worth investigating if they're a real problem. Otherwise you could chase up whoever is in charge or relocating snakes in your area.
https://www.alrc.gov.au/publication/recognition-of-aboriginal-customary-laws-alrc-report-31/35-aboriginal-hunting-fishing-and-gathering-rights-current-australian-legislation/legislation-on-hunting-and-gathering-rights/

Die Judicii wrote:I know they are protected,,,, but,,
We have Guinea Fowl because they help drive snakes away from the general area,, and this year alone two of the hens have nested
three times so far, and each and every time they have been driven off the nests and their eggs been eaten by bloody goannas.
We usually see a few goannas each year around the house and general yard area.
But this year, they seem to be coming in waves.
And they wreak havoc amongst the fowl.
A few years ago, I was forced to shoot one of the reptilian ba@tards because it was attacking my Jack Russell/Foxie dog on the back lawn.

They do grow to be a pretty decent size, and become a threat to pets etc around the house.

See the pics posted in "One in a million chance" in "off Topic"
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: I know they're protected but,,,,

Post by womble » 14 Jan 2023, 4:01 am

Unlike snakes a goanna can dial 911.
I had one for a pet briefly as a kid. Most lizards are rather docile. People likely expect the same for big lizard.
Well no they have some serious anger issues. They have been subjected to stick poking for at least the last 10,000 years.
Great photos btw, encapsulates their temperament.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control