What animal is easiest to find in Victoria for hunting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

What animal is easiest to find in Victoria for hunting

Post by theobromine » 28 Jan 2023, 10:07 am

I’m curious what people’s thoughts are for somebody who’d be new to hunting. You hear stories of people spending days without seeing any target species. I’m wondering where a good entry point would be for a new hunter who hasn’t bought any firearms. Thanks.
theobromine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: What animal is easiest to find in Victoria for hunting

Post by NTSOG » 03 Feb 2023, 12:19 pm

Yabbies!

[Yabbying is hunting - sort of - and doesn't require a gun.]
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2023, 12:50 pm

theobromine wrote:I’m curious what people’s thoughts are for somebody who’d be new to hunting. You hear stories of people spending days without seeing any target species. I’m wondering where a good entry point would be for a new hunter who hasn’t bought any firearms. Thanks.

Yep, you don't always find what you're chasing when you go out, so it helps if you simply love being in the bush anyway.

Ideally I'd be looking for a private property with rabbits for somebody just getting into shooting. They're usually plentiful when they're around (none around me though), relatively easy to get close to, and to kill (.22LR is sufficient), small enough to require some degree of marksmanship, very quick and easy to clean, and bloody good eating. And farmland is a lot easier to get around in than the bush. Anywhere with rabbits is also likely to have foxes, which are a bit more challenging and require some hunting skill, but at close-ranges can also be taken with .22LR. Both of these species you can often wander out for an hour and see what's around, so they're pretty easy. Other things, like deer, goats, pigs you might be looking at spending most of a day, or even better, several days in the bush looking for them.

In the bush I haven't seen many rabbits or foxes, but they are certainly in there. Get quietly into some forest on the upwind side, find a spot with a decent view with the wind coming into your face, and just sit still and quiet for an hour and see and hear what's around. In the hot weather a lot of animals don't move around much so early morning is best I think.

You could try hooking up with a local volunteer group, like Landcare as they're out in the bush (and private properties) fairly regularly. You'll learn lots while familiarising yourself with the outdoors. If there are parks, reserves or forests around they might have a "friends of" group as well that you could join.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hunting99 » 03 Feb 2023, 1:47 pm

I reckon foxes would be the most wide spread easiest to find everywhere in Australia
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 03 Feb 2023, 3:40 pm

hunting99 wrote:I reckon foxes would be the most wide spread easiest to find everywhere in Australia

Almost everywhere
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Feb 2023, 3:59 pm

Yowies
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Feb 2023, 5:54 pm

Rabbits
Hares
Foxes
Goats
Pigs
Fallow deer
Sambar deer
Red deer
Ducks

All available to varying degrees in Vic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Feb 2023, 6:30 pm

Foxes,
Theres one standing behind you.
And there’s probably another one under your bed.
I’m not even joking. They’re going to be running this country in a few years. The Chinese will have to fight them
Last edited by womble on 03 Feb 2023, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Feb 2023, 6:33 pm

bigpete wrote:Yowies

They’re hunting you.
You’re dreaming if you you think you’re doing the hunting part. You are not safe out there.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 03 Feb 2023, 7:28 pm

Whenever it's easy to find means it hadn't been hunted much.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2023, 8:17 am

bladeracer wrote:
theobromine wrote:I’m curious what people’s thoughts are for somebody who’d be new to hunting. You hear stories of people spending days without seeing any target species. I’m wondering where a good entry point would be for a new hunter who hasn’t bought any firearms. Thanks.

Yep, you don't always find what you're chasing when you go out, so it helps if you simply love being in the bush anyway.

Yes, that can be very frustrating. When in SF I often go out way over gunned for that very reason.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 07 Feb 2023, 6:14 pm

....Bunnies and Meth heads.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2023, 8:22 pm

womble wrote:Foxes,
Theres one standing behind you.
And there’s probably another one under your bed.
I’m not even joking. They’re going to be running this country in a few years. The Chinese will have to fight them

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
I'd suggest you go back to your stash of whatever the hell you've been smoking and stay there.

Responses like that aren't even funny,,,,,,,,,,,, and certainly don't help a newbie with an honest question.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2023, 8:26 pm

hunting99 wrote:I reckon foxes would be the most wide spread easiest to find everywhere in Australia

Followed close behind by feral cats.
(and yes I think in at least one state they aren't supposed to be hunted, but look at the damage they do to Aust native fauna)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control