Big Boof headed Mongrel

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Big Boof headed Mongrel

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2023, 5:40 pm

This big fella made his sheep killing presence known a couple of nights ago on a property that I frequent.
I'd shot a lot of dogs on this property to the point where the owner hasn't had any sheep killed or mauled since 18/03/2020
But that dog attack free period came to an end when this big dingo crossbreed moved in this week, and killed five sheep.
His reign ended at 3 AM this morning when I got him in my sights.

He was a remarkably clean and healthy specimen taken on the run at what I lasered afterwards to be 165 meters.

100_6342.JPG
100_6342.JPG (467.29 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Big Boof headed Mongrel

Post by animalpest » 25 Feb 2023, 8:09 pm

Good stuff
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2023, 6:25 am

when i saw the title of your post i thought it was about me ........ :lol: nice work on the dog . their too smart for me . i saw one at over 400 meters in the high country out tenterfeild once . he was quick to disappear . only other ones i've seen have been hanging from trees ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Feb 2023, 11:29 am

Young ones i have encountered often just stood there looking at me close range while i lined em up . As easy as shooting fish in a barrel. But th ones i was hunting at westmar xmas just gone were like ghosts . Saw plenty of fresh tracks every morning but never laid eyes on the dogs. I think they were hiding in the thick stuff laughing at me . And when i waited on water for them they did not show .. they won the game
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Mar 2023, 11:14 am

Well I got the dog back on 25th Feb,,,,,,,, and today (23rd March) I got the bitch at 4 am.

The big problem was that she also had two pups almost the same size as her.
The moment I shot her, the pups bolted off to her right and then sat broadside on to me and only 150 meters distant from me, looking at the bitch.
Frustratingly,,,, I had no choice but to just look at them,,,,, because the property owners house was directly behind them.
After approx 5 minutes, they trotted off away from me, but still heading close to the house.

As I had not gone out to hunt dogs (pigs were the intended victims) all I had was a .308
So,, after a good sleep I'll be going back tonite to try and get the young ones.

100_6381.JPG
100_6381.JPG (626.83 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
100_6382.JPG
100_6382.JPG (729.41 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 23 Mar 2023, 2:35 pm

They will be back to find mum.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Mar 2023, 4:54 pm

Good work
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Mar 2023, 8:38 pm

animalpest wrote:They will be back to find mum.

Yep,, on the cards, but not guaranteed. I did however dispose of the bitch many miles from where I shot so they’ll keep searching.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Mar 2023, 7:44 am

Well true to form, the dogs/pups never showed up.
Very slim pickings,,,,, One fox and one gnarly old boar pig.
I dropped the pig at 350 meters with a 130gr .308 HP.
I half expected it to disintegrate on impact at that distance and him keep on running.
I now have more respect for those little HP's
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 May 2023, 9:10 pm

Well, at the beginning of this post, I told of the two almost adult sized pups that I had to let walk because the property owners house was in the background.

Well,,,,,,,, since then they have been putting in brief visits every week or so.
Mostly just nipping and biting sheep, and pulling tufts of wool. A sure sign that their parents didn't get the opportunity to teach them the finer points of killing.
They did however manage to get one kill by driving a ewe into water one night.
There were about ten ewes/weathers bitten badly but survived.

During this time we managed to get a couple of pics on a trail camera,,, and I did sight one of them briefly on one of the four trips/nights spent out there,
since I shot the parents.

Last night I headed out there and arrived at 7-30pm and began setting up for the nights vigil and hunt.
Before I actually loaded the rifle, I turned on the binoculars to have a scout over the paddock to see where the sheep were bedded down etc,,,,,
And DAMM,, there were the dogs just on 600 meters distant and to my left.

Caught by surprise (I hadn't even had the usual cup of coffee.)
So frantically I started loading the magazine, and turn on the rifle scope.
By the time I did all that and looked again through the binocs,,,,,, they were nowhere to be seen (in a flat paddock)
Thinking that I had missed a possible opportunity,, I settled down and waited.

Luck was with me, as I had only been waiting for an hour and a half,,,, when I spotted one of them working its way in my direction, and I could see the other one way off in the distance.
I watched and waited till it got to 285 meters, and sent it a lead welcoming gift.
It went down instantly and never even twitched.
Quickly looking for its mate, I saw it plus the 600 meters away in top gear going in the opposite direction.
Taking the opportunity I made a quick cup of coffee and watched the downed dog while I drank it.

After the coffee, I did what I usually do NOT do,,,,,, and climbed down and walked in the darkness to it.
It was a very large male,,,, and dead as dead can be.

I went back to my rig, and proceeded to wait again and hoping the other would come looking for its mate.
I waited another two hours,,,,,,,,, and BINGO,,, it came back into sight and obviously looking for the dog,,, and virtually following its tracks.

When it got to 100 meters of the dead one, I sent it a welcoming gift as well.
Another cup of coffee, and watching to see any tell tale signs that it was still alive,,,, and I then walked out to it as well.
It was a bitch,,, and also well and truly dead.

For the rest of the night, I had a free for all on vermin.
Got a nice fox with a beaut dark brush,,,,,,,,,, and three pigs.
I didn't bother to walk out and take pics of the pigs.

All in all a pretty successful and profitable night.
100_6442.JPG
100_6442.JPG (717.24 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

100_6443.JPG
100_6443.JPG (708.51 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

100_6444.JPG
100_6444.JPG (706.34 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

100_6445.JPG
100_6445.JPG (680.41 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control