Hunting in general, updates ?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunting in general, updates ?

Post by Blr243 » 01 Apr 2023, 12:53 pm

I think i posted this before. Roo climbed down the bank. Saw me and the dog only 3 metres away. Because we were still and showed no threatening behavior he continued down tje bank relaxed , had a drink and then off he went
Attachments
DA9033DF-6621-4FD1-AE28-341751469A5C.png
DA9033DF-6621-4FD1-AE28-341751469A5C.png (208.34 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Apr 2023, 1:02 pm

Sorry DJ. not much hunting goin on we are too busy hugging the trees
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Apr 2023, 1:03 pm

I think i posted this before. Roo climbed down the bank. Saw me and the dog only 3 metres away. Because we were still and showed no threatening behavior he continued down tje bank relaxed , had a drink and then off he went
Attachments
DA9033DF-6621-4FD1-AE28-341751469A5C.png
DA9033DF-6621-4FD1-AE28-341751469A5C.png (208.34 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Apr 2023, 1:37 pm

No its an Australasian Grebe,male,with a chick
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Peter988 » 04 Apr 2023, 10:55 am

I will be doing 10 days farm sitting for my mate down Emmaville way starting over Easter. Pigs, deer, foxes, hares, rabbits and good cod fishing. Tough gig.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2023, 4:58 pm

Well I reckon I just lost my goat property.
Reason given.... " you're making an industrial deafness claim,therefore we think you'll try to sue us at some stage....." FMD :(
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 04 Apr 2023, 5:15 pm

Thats rough pete. Andbloody ridiculous
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2023, 5:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thats rough pete. Andbloody ridiculous

Could have knocked me over with a feather. The same people not long ago were praising me for my ethics and integrity and telling me I would be the only hunter allowed on there
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2023, 7:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sorry DJ. not much hunting goin on we are too busy hugging the trees

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2023, 7:45 pm

bigpete wrote:Well I reckon I just lost my goat property.
Reason given.... " you're making an industrial deafness claim,therefore we think you'll try to sue us at some stage....." FMD :(

And what was your reply ?

Eh,,,,,, what did ya say,,,, I didn't quite hear ya. :unknown:

On the other hand you could just keep going out there,,,,, (because you didn't hear what they said) :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2023, 8:06 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

And what was your reply ?

Eh,,,,,, what did ya say,,,, I didn't quite hear ya. :unknown:

On the other hand you could just keep going out there,,,,, (because you didn't hear what they said) :lol:

I pretty much said I couldn't believe that was their reason and that it wouldn't even occur to me to do what they were suggesting.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2023, 8:40 pm

Bigpete,
Good luck with your claim. I'm not familiar with the W.C. system in S.A. but I'm sure your entitled to a fair bit with about 30% loss.

Regarding the property owner, he is a dunce. And that is being nice. Obviously he has zero understanding of the W.C. system. Move on mate.
And don't forget the plugs or muffs.
In Vic at least you can't get a second bite at the cherry.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 04 Apr 2023, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 04 Apr 2023, 8:41 pm

I'll take it over for you.
After all, I am already as deaf as ... nah I won't say it
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 2:56 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Bigpete,
Good luck with your claim. I'm not familiar with the W.C. system in S.A. but I'm sure your entitled to a fair bit with about 30% loss.

Regarding the property owner, he is a dunce. And that is being nice. Obviously he has zero understanding of the W.C. system. Move on mate.

23% of that 30% is attributed to work. Not the entire amount.
The property owners don't seem to understand the process at all. Quite frankly I'm pretty insulted that they would think that because I'm making a claim for my hearing that has taken roughly 10 years of cajoling by my family and friends to even look into,that means I'm suddenly going to try to sue them for stubbing my toe while hunting their block. Ludicrous. But I guess the excessively wealthy can be very paranoid
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 05 Apr 2023, 5:17 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Bigpete,

23% of that 30% is attributed to work. Not the entire amount.
The property owners don't seem to understand the process at all. Quite frankly I'm pretty insulted that they would think that because I'm making a claim for my hearing that has taken roughly 10 years of cajoling by my family and friends to even look into,that means I'm suddenly going to try to sue them for stubbing my toe while hunting their block. Ludicrous. But I guess the excessively wealthy can be very paranoid

i've struck a few property owners that are quite paranoid about being sued by people on their land . even those that are on there illegally . it's a crying shame you lost access to this block pete . i feel for ya as i lost access to a great block years ago , but for different type of reasons . all you can do now i guess is try to find another . best of luck :drinks: :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 8:19 am

i've struck a few property owners that are quite paranoid about being sued by people on their land . even those that are on there illegally . it's a crying shame you lost access to this block pete . i feel for ya as i lost access to a great block years ago , but for different type of reasons . all you can do now i guess is try to find another . best of luck :drinks: :thumbsup: :drinks:[/quote]

Its more the reasoning that's upset me. By their own words they've been more than happy with the way I've conducted myself on their property,and I've never stepped a foot wrong there,so its a bit crap being booted off because of something that's happening that has absolutely zero to do with them.

Hopefully I can get on another block with deer on it.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2023, 9:38 am

I used this hunt an amazing block at moonie. Shot 26 pigs by myself first weekend i visited there. Hunted there for yrs. then one day i was told the vermin control would be handed to a pro that does both pigs snd roos I went to my bedroom laid down and Curled up in a ball ... i was gutted. I develop a very strong affinity with the land i hunt. But on the plus size i have some fantastic memories of that place
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 9:59 am

Blr243 wrote:I used this hunt an amazing block at moonie. Shot 26 pigs by myself first weekend i visited there. Hunted there for yrs. then one day i was told the vermin control would be handed to a pro that does both pigs snd roos I went to my bedroom laid down and Curled up in a ball ... i was gutted. I develop a very strong affinity with the land i hunt. But on the plus size i have some fantastic memories of that place

I can imagine,I'm the same.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2023, 11:12 am

bigpete wrote:23% of that 30% is attributed to work. Not the entire amount.

Is it possible another hunter put a worm in their ear to get in there themselves?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 11:22 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:23% of that 30% is attributed to work. Not the entire amount.

Is it possible another hunter put a worm in their ear to get in there themselves?

There's always people trying to get on there. That's what led to the conversation a couple of months back where I was told I'd be the only one allowed on there because of my ethics and integrity. And that conversation happened AFTER the conversation about my industrial deafness claim
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2023, 12:08 pm

bigpete wrote:There's always people trying to get on there. That's what led to the conversation a couple of months back where I was told I'd be the only one allowed on there because of my ethics and integrity. And that conversation happened AFTER the conversation about my industrial deafness claim

Maybe he realised he could make some decent money out of selling access for hunting?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 05 Apr 2023, 12:24 pm

I hopefully going to get out in the next few weeks. I have been the sole income earning person in the house atm, and yes fuel and the usual stuff hasn't helped.

I want to/need to smash a deer to fill the fridge/freezer certainly help with things atm.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 12:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:There's always people trying to get on there. That's what led to the conversation a couple of months back where I was told I'd be the only one allowed on there because of my ethics and integrity. And that conversation happened AFTER the conversation about my industrial deafness claim

Maybe he realised he could make some decent money out of selling access for hunting?

Nah. They neither need the money,nor were they interested in trapping the goats and selling them,hence why I was allowed to hunt there.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2023, 5:22 pm

Well, back on track.
I've been trying to get back to this patch of State Forest at this time of year for about 5 years.
Two ill parents, two deaths in the family, covid, a stolen ute and wife has had major surgery. Oh, let's not forget work and a few trips in the van. They have all managed to block my chance to get away in April.
Well i finally headed off Monday morning. And not real early, as I'm pretty casual about this hunting capper. For many years now, the enjoyable trip is far more important than scoring.

Anyway, yesterday I found this.

Resized_20230404_092041.jpeg
Resized_20230404_092041.jpeg (225.16 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

Then early this morning I found this, but it was breathing at the time.

Resized_20230405_070803(1).jpeg
Resized_20230405_070803(1).jpeg (229.08 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

Don't know why, but I think the timing is good. :lol:
I may have a little early dementia, can someone help with why the timing is so good? :allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 5:49 pm

No idea,but good job on the freezer filler
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2023, 5:52 pm

OH, someone bigpete, bigrich, blade , animalpest, fionn perhaps mchughupu. I have dementia. Can just someone tell me. Why is the timing so good? It's got me fuked. Please help me.

Come on, your soooo,, soooo, good. Help me why?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 05 Apr 2023, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2023, 6:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OH, someone bigpete, bigrich, blade , animalpest, fionn perhaps mchughupu. I have dementia. Can just someone tell me. Why is the timing so good? It's got me fuked. Please help me.

Come on, your soooo,, soooo, good. Help me why?

Not a clue here, I still consider them ghosts :-)
When I don't bother lugging a rifle out I see and hear them, when I take a rifle...nothing at all!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2023, 7:43 pm

bigpete wrote:No idea,but good job on the freezer filler

Thx mate. Got a long way to go to catch up to you.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CRF » 05 Apr 2023, 7:48 pm

We all saw a few hoggies but none taken.

Managed to take a nice red stag and a fallow spike with my flintlock.

Good rut overall.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2023, 8:01 pm

CRF wrote:We all saw a few hoggies but none taken.

Managed to take a nice red stag and a fallow spike with my flintlock.

Good rut overall.

Nice,got pics ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control