Grip

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Grip

Post by kransky93 » 02 Sep 2023, 10:05 am

Are you gripping the pistol grip of your rifle when shooting?
Or does it depend on what you’re shooting? E.g have you got a relaxed grip when shooting at a bench on a rest but then gripping when you’re shooting in the field or out of a vehicle? Or are you doing the same thing every time no matter what position or shooting application?
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Grip

Post by deye243 » 02 Sep 2023, 10:46 am

Same all the time keep it consistent for best results
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2023, 11:04 am

kransky93 wrote:Are you gripping the pistol grip of your rifle when shooting?
Or does it depend on what you’re shooting? E.g have you got a relaxed grip when shooting at a bench on a rest but then gripping when you’re shooting in the field or out of a vehicle? Or are you doing the same thing every time no matter what position or shooting application?

I'd say it changes with what I'm doing, and what rifle I'm shooting. If I'm shooting from a supported position my grip is not as tight as when I'm shooting offhand or having to support the weight of the rifle. Likewise, if I'm shooting .22LR I don't grip the rifle as tightly as when I'm shooting something that recoils. As long as you are still operating the trigger consistently it shouldn't matter much.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 02 Sep 2023, 11:32 am

Most of my day-to-day rifles, I have a solid grip on the pistol-grip, but not clutching it for grim death.

Having the web of my hand firmly behind the the pistol-grip allows me to control pressure on the trigger(finger) better than a looser grip.
Thats just what works for me, though.
[Almost all of my shooting is hunting, rather than benchrest, if that makes a difference.]

As BladeRacer mentions, my grip gets a bit firmer if the rifle has more recoil.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 02 Sep 2023, 4:37 pm

A light grip is used on the pistol grip. Any more than that increases variables, but the most important thing is consistency. And that includes where your palm and fingers lay on the grip as well as how tight you hold.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control