Rifle into shoulder

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Rifle into shoulder

Post by kransky93 » 04 Oct 2023, 8:23 am

Hi guys, just wondering what some of you guys are doing - which hand is pulling the rifle into your shoulder? Support or trigger hand? Or does it depend on the position? Thanks
kransky93
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Rifle into shoulder

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2023, 4:49 pm

kransky93 wrote:Hi guys, just wondering what some of you guys are doing - which hand is pulling the rifle into your shoulder? Support or trigger hand? Or does it depend on the position? Thanks

Depends on position, offhand I "pull" with my left hand so my right hand is free to operate the rifle. If I'm prone I don't "pull" at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Rifle into shoulder

Post by Larry » 05 Oct 2023, 7:15 am

For me the way I hold the rifle depends more on the rifle and the caliber than anything else. My instructor always said if you have the target in the sights before the shot and after the shot where else could the bullet go. Meaning that controlling the rifle during recoil and having good follow through was of utmost importance. I may be the only one at times holding on to the fore end of my rifle on the firing line but it works for me. No good having the rifle jump into the air move a bit left and not be aimed where it was before the shot. The bullet could go anywhere during that time, control it. No one ever came and told me not to do it that way as my results spoke for themselves.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control