Calls/whistles for foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Calls/whistles for foxes

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Apr 2024, 9:53 pm

After the discussion about fox lures in the dog lure thread.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=15595&start=60

I thought I'd start a new thread on calls.
I'm mainly into using manual, sometimes DIY calls, not electronic like the fox pro.
Just occassionally I'll use a blue tooth speaker and mobile. For me the less I carry the better.

I've used, with varying success, button, Tenterfield squeaky toy, fox blaster and the donky dick thing.

I've come to the conclusion it's like fishing lures, today silver works, tomorrow it's red or worms.

What is being used with success out there, what's your favourite?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 07 Apr 2024, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Calls for foxes

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Apr 2024, 11:14 pm

Hi OB, It's odd, but the "donkey dick thing" (Scotch Predator Caller) is extremely popular and successful down your way,,,, but up here in Qld I've had very limited success with it. Why,,, I have no idea.
It beats the hell outta me why in this country with its vast areas of huntable land,,,,,, the vast majority of calls available are of American origin.
I have an Icotek Hellion caller with its gazillion calls,,,,,,,, which I find are simply a waste of time in general.
Only two or three of its calls show any sign whatsoever of being mediochre as far as success is concerned.

What we desperately need for Australian hunters,,,, is an electronic caller with genuine AUSTRALIAN sounds,,, that are made & produced in AUSTRALIA.

I am well & truly over the "Made in China, PRC" thing.
But not only in the hunting scene.

Sure,,,, fair enough if the products are both cheaper, AND good quality,,,,,,,,, but sadly not so.
All we seem to get is SH!T produce.
And it's high time our governments (regardless of parties) need to see this and start reversing the trends.

As for what is mostly being used out there as far as attractactants/callers is concerned I have no definitive answer other than my personal preferences.
I still try the Scotch Predator caller,,, and the good ol button whistle when there is nothing on the horizen so to speak.
That being said,,,, my most successful line of approach is still,,,,, Stealth, Little to no movement, and patience.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 07 Apr 2024, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 07 Apr 2024, 6:57 am

We've tried the donkey-dick call, as well as the Penny-Whistle calls, and had very poor success.

We also had one of those remote callers that has about 2 dozen calls programmed in; mostly American game.
[Bought it for dogs, though some of the calls were obviously used for attracting foxes..]

I'd guess that foxes responses to calls might be different, dependant on the primary food sources of the region.
In this area, I know that foxes are attracted to spotlights, as they've learned that there is an easy feed if they follow the light.
Maybe the success of the different calls in different areas, is reflective of the most-common foods they are hunting/eating?

Has anyone tried a chook calling with one of those electronic/bluetooth calls?
Given how much the average fox LOVES a spot of Hot Chook, I wonder if the call would be enough to attract them at night, or would Foxy figure out that chooks dont call at night?
Interesting thought; one I might try myself, the next time we have a fox around..
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 8:35 am

My three best callers would be the button, Tenterfield & fox blaster. All in areas where ther were a few rabbits about. Last two years I've had to work very hard for just a few foxes and I've put it down to fewer rabbits.

Never had one come in to the Scotch Predator caller. I've now removed the constantina and just blow in it.

Pulled one in with an old duck caller once. :P

"I'd guess that foxes responses to calls might be different, dependant on the primary food sources of the region"

I think this has a lot to do with it. They learn very quickly. And primary food sources vary in different areas and times of the year.

Chooks, not every farmer has chooks. None on state forrest either. But birds. Some birds are everywhere, magpies for example. Perhaps a magpie distress call? Or Currawong distress call?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 8:40 am

Slightly off topic. Regarding baits or lures this was the result in another topic. (Link above)

Anyway this is I think a fair summary..
There are three main types of (fox) lures.

1. Food related bait such as road kill, chooks, fish etc. Almost any food will do. I think the more stink the better?
2. Social/smell, such as piss.
3. Attractive lures such as white moving feather, better to use two.

Two types of lure is much better than just one, e.g social plus a food.

Dogs piss is no good for foxes but should help for hunting dogs.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Apr 2024, 9:45 am

Don't get me wrong tho,,, I have used the "donkey d!ck" when I lived down south with amazing results.
Most times the fox literally comes running in.
But up here I've only ever managed to get one to respond to it.

Surprisingly, it definitely works on Hares,,,,,,
I have in the last couple of years got half a dozen that were without doubt actively coming to the sound.

I also had a mate down south that said he had a young Fallow come in to the sound from his.
Since then I've had another guy that told me he'd had a similar experience. ??? pure curiosity.

As for using the recorded sound of chooks at night time,, I think may have definite possibilities.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Apr 2024, 9:56 am

It's hard to go past the good old tin button whistle, they sound pretty authentic and have given me enough success that I haven't had to stuff around with and waste money other gimmicks.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jorlcrin » 07 Apr 2024, 10:36 am

Off-Topic, but I've yowled up a cat or two over the years...

Drove up onto a dam bank one night, and out on the flat(~200m), we could see a cat making haste for elsewhere, and looking back at the light every so often.
Turned the lights and car off, and sat there Yowling like a big old Tom looking for a fight.

Turned the spotlight back on after 5 minutes of my passenger looking at me as if I was an idiot, and Puddin was about 80 metres distant, and jogging over to fight me...
Sadly, the dear Puddster didnt see the 7mm round coming his way...
A tragic loss for the feral Puddin community...

I've done it a couple of times, but obviously, it's not likely to work for all of them.

About 20 years back, I was talking to a dept of Primary Industries bloke, about the (freshly released at the time) manufactured 1080 baits.
There was "Dog-Gone, Fox-Off, and Pig-Out"(which I think came a bit later than the other 2).
I was quizzing the guy on why there wasnt a cat equivalent as well.
I had in mind calling it "Cat-Phukker Surprise" would've been a great name...
[I'd also note that shire baiting campaigns trialed using the manufactured baits about 12 years ago in this area, and went back to meat baits the following year, after really poor results..]

Gent(who was involved with the Wild Dog Control initiatives underway at the time) said that cats were extremely fickle in their preferences.
He said Dogs, Foxes and Pigs had all turned out to be fairly predictable about what sorts of lures would work to get the average feral to eat the baits.
But he said the stumbling block for cats, was that the researchers couldn't find common ground on what would attract a cat, and the furry little sods are all too independent in what attracts them to a bait.

I mention this, because maybe something similar happens with foxes, and causes the success with some calls in some areas, and not others?
Just a thought.

Back to the mention previously of chooks; maybe the smell of fresh chook-poop might be attractive?
There must be something appealing that attracts them to want to break into chook-houses; either smell or noise(or both).
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 10:59 am

"Back to the mention previously of chooks; maybe the smell of fresh chook-poop might be attractive?
There must be something appealing that attracts them to want to break into chook-houses; either smell or noise(or both)."

Interesting thought.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 07 Apr 2024, 12:12 pm

I've got a bow hunting video of guys calling in hares to a distress call, so it must work fairly regularly.

Not much experience myself, but my unc' who has shot probably 1000's of foxes uses a button and tenterfield type (not sure which exactly), though most of his have been at night with a spotlight. He did suggest I drill out one side of the button to get two slightly different calls.

Had a fallow spike come charging towards me once when using a button whistle. Not sure who was more surprised!!
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 12:41 pm

This is interesting. About baiting.

https://youtu.be/jr8thTUs0j4?si=yDxc5tp_Y3T7L9lX
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Apr 2024, 1:00 pm

Noise and smell helps the fox to become aware of the chook house and another think that’s very appealing is that if they can get inside it becomes Real easy because the hooks are trapped. Like shooting fish in a barrrll.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 3:03 pm

I've used scotch bellows calls for hares and foxes with success,tin whistles,homemade Tenterfield whistles ( the expensive Silva fox call i bought is utter crap though ),lip squeaks,and imitating fox barks. I've also had success with jack rabbit and fawn in distress calls on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker. I think the most important thing is to actually have one that's hungry ! I've seen them completely ignore a previously effective call even from 50m,then others come bolting in from 500m with a single lip squeak.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 3:18 pm

bigpete wrote:I've used scotch bellows calls for hares and foxes with success,tin whistles,homemade Tenterfield whistles ( the expensive Silva fox call i bought is utter crap though ),lip squeaks,and imitating fox barks. I've also had success with jack rabbit and fawn in distress calls on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker. I think the most important thing is to actually have one that's hungry ! I've seen them completely ignore a previously effective call even from 50m,then others come bolting in from 500m with a single lip squeak.

Yes, it seems fundamental.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Calls/whistles for foxes

Post by Flyonline » 07 Apr 2024, 5:26 pm

How about calling them in with a sexy vixen call during mating season? Works for just about everything else.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 5:34 pm

Flyonline wrote:How about calling them in with a sexy vixen call during mating season? Works for just about everything else.

I'm sure if timing is right it would work.

When the Mrs says "come here big boy" she certainly gets my attention. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 5:54 pm

Flyonline wrote:How about calling them in with a sexy vixen call during mating season? Works for just about everything else.

Done that a few times. It works
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 5:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:When the Mrs says "come here big boy" she certainly gets my attention. :D

Thats an exaggeration if ever I've heard one lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 6:23 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:When the Mrs says "come here big boy" she certainly gets my attention. :D

Thats an exaggeration if ever I've heard one lol

. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2024, 9:15 pm

Been looking at "shepherds whistles".

They sound a hell of a lot like a bird. And loud. Very similar to a Tenterfield in fact wouldn't surprise me if that's where the original idea for tenterfields come from.

Anyway, I have ordered one.

On a positive note my foot has come good. Baby sitting grandson ATM so hope to head off after Fallow Monday.

https://youtu.be/4zVmEnKw0oM?si=LgU3kGdJHpy6mips
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FTL » 13 Apr 2024, 6:20 pm

Tin whistle, depending on how close and time of year piece of styrofoam and mobile phone screen
FTL
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2024, 6:35 pm

Weather we are fox shooters or noti reckon it’s a good idea to have a small simple tin whistle hanging from our necks. It’s nice to be able to get their attention if we happen to see one
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2024, 6:36 pm

Weather we are fox shooters or noti reckon it’s a good idea to have a small simple tin whistle hanging from our necks. It’s nice to be able to get their attention if we happen to see one
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2024, 7:10 pm

You can say that again :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 14 Apr 2024, 10:27 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:Off-Topic, but I've yowled up a cat or two over the years...

Drove up onto a dam bank one night, and out on the flat(~200m), we could see a cat making haste for elsewhere, and looking back at the light every so often.
Turned the lights and car off, and sat there Yowling like a big old Tom looking for a fight.

Turned the spotlight back on after 5 minutes of my passenger looking at me as if I was an idiot, and Puddin was about 80 metres distant, and jogging over to fight me...
Sadly, the dear Puddster didnt see the 7mm round coming his way...
A tragic loss for the feral Puddin community...

I've done it a couple of times, but obviously, it's not likely to work for all of them.

About 20 years back, I was talking to a dept of Primary Industries bloke, about the (freshly released at the time) manufactured 1080 baits.
There was "Dog-Gone, Fox-Off, and Pig-Out"(which I think came a bit later than the other 2).
I was quizzing the guy on why there wasnt a cat equivalent as well.
I had in mind calling it "Cat-Phukker Surprise" would've been a great name...
[I'd also note that shire baiting campaigns trialed using the manufactured baits about 12 years ago in this area, and went back to meat baits the following year, after really poor results..]

Gent(who was involved with the Wild Dog Control initiatives underway at the time) said that cats were extremely fickle in their preferences.
He said Dogs, Foxes and Pigs had all turned out to be fairly predictable about what sorts of lures would work to get the average feral to eat the baits.
But he said the stumbling block for cats, was that the researchers couldn't find common ground on what would attract a cat, and the furry little sods are all too independent in what attracts them to a bait.

I mention this, because maybe something similar happens with foxes, and causes the success with some calls in some areas, and not others?
Just a thought.

Back to the mention previously of chooks; maybe the smell of fresh chook-poop might be attractive?
There must be something appealing that attracts them to want to break into chook-houses; either smell or noise(or both).

There was a cat bait to go with Foxoff, Doggone, Piggout. It was called Pussoff. But it didn't work as planned.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 23 Apr 2024, 10:41 pm

bigpete wrote:I've used scotch bellows calls for hares and foxes with success,tin whistles,homemade Tenterfield whistles ( the expensive Silva fox call i bought is utter crap though ),lip squeaks,and imitating fox barks. I've also had success with jack rabbit and fawn in distress calls on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker. I think the most important thing is to actually have one that's hungry ! I've seen them completely ignore a previously effective call even from 50m,then others come bolting in from 500m with a single lip squeak.

Yeah, I bought on of those Silva's and was very unimpressed....flimsy and cheap, could do a better job with a baked bean tin lid and nail
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 23 Apr 2024, 10:45 pm

I've had success with the old Andre Georgescu tenterfield whistles and those best fox reed whistles
Always too windy to use the button whistle where I shoot but Andres tenterfield is loud and can cut through wind noise.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control