Range where you really need a varmint barrel?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Range where you really need a varmint barrel?

Post by prodel » 29 May 2014, 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Thinking about a new rifle, probably a .223.

On the bench about going with a varmint/bench rifle or hunting profile.

Pros and cons are obviously more accuracy but more weight. So the question is... For nailing bunnies and small stuff, what distance do you really need that varmint barrel?

I see some of the hunters here doing .4" - .5" groups with their best shots without the heavy barrels.

So, how far do you say?
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Range where you really need a varmint barrel?

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 2:51 pm

I'd say each to their own on this one. For me a barrel that is a bit on the heavy side works better mostly because they heat up less quickly, plus I like the "swing" of a heavier barrel
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 May 2014, 4:17 pm

Major advantage to heavy barrel in my opinion is it softens recoil but that obviously won't be an issue on a 223.

The other advantage would be takes longer to heat up

I don't think there's a set range where a heavy barrel starts having an accuracy advantage. It comes down to whether you wanna lug a heavy barrel around while you're walking.

If you plan on shooting off a bench or setting up and sniping bunnies it won't be an issue but if you plan on stalking game it'll get heavy quickly
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 6:09 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Major advantage to heavy barrel in my opinion is it softens recoil but that obviously won't be an issue on a 223.

The other advantage would be takes longer to heat up

I don't think there's a set range where a heavy barrel starts having an accuracy advantage. It comes down to whether you wanna lug a heavy barrel around while you're walking.

If you plan on shooting off a bench or setting up and sniping bunnies it won't be an issue but if you plan on stalking game it'll get heavy quickly

This ^^^

the varmint barrel is about repeated shots and controlling stringing not outright one shot accuracy

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by prodel » 30 May 2014, 10:10 am

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

To add some information, the idea of this is mostly for cleaning up pests on a property.

Don't expect to be stalking game with it. Will be rested somewhere overlooking an area for potential rabbits and foxes.

To ask another way. For rabbit sizes targets, what range starts to be problematic for a hunting profile rifle? Would you swap to a varmint barrel here?
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 May 2014, 12:40 pm

prodel wrote:Appreciate the feedback everyone.

To add some information, the idea of this is mostly for cleaning up pests on a property.

Don't expect to be stalking game with it. Will be rested somewhere overlooking an area for potential rabbits and foxes.

To ask another way. For rabbit sizes targets, what range starts to be problematic for a hunting profile rifle? Would you swap to a varmint barrel here?

I'd consider a Varmint barrel if you're gonna do a lot of shooting in a short period of time. Otherwise it's not really necessary but can't hurt either
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 30 May 2014, 3:28 pm

prodel wrote:I see some of the hunters here doing .4" - .5" groups with their best shots without the heavy barrels.

Yep they do.

prodel wrote:To ask another way. For rabbit sizes targets, what range starts to be problematic for a hunting profile rifle? Would you swap to a varmint barrel here?

Hate to be useless and say 'it depends', even though that's right :lol:

If you really have to have a number, and assuming you have an accurate rifle, I'd say 200m and further. At 100m - 150m there's no merit in having a varmint barrel.

(IMO / 2c / guestimate)
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by prodel » 30 May 2014, 3:32 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I'd consider a Varmint barrel if you're gonna do a lot of shooting in a short period of time. Otherwise it's not really necessary but can't hurt either

Not what I'd call a lot I guess.

1 shot every few minutes. On and off for an hour I guess?

15-20 shots per hour?
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by prodel » 30 May 2014, 3:34 pm

Herdsman wrote:If you really have to have a number, and assuming you have an accurate rifle, I'd say 200m and further.

I'm probably looking at 200m max for hunting. That's where it will be important for this rifle, hunting.

Shooting further than that will only be for fun, at the range etc. So not so important.

It's sounding like a good hunting profile rifle will be better.
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 30 May 2014, 3:34 pm

prodel wrote:1 shot every few minutes. On and off for an hour I guess?

15-20 shots per hour?

You don't need a heavy barrel for 15 shots in an hour.

Especially when talking hunting accuracy.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jun 2014, 6:09 pm

prodel wrote:Don't expect to be stalking game with it. Will be rested somewhere overlooking an area for potential rabbits and foxes.

The factor that'll have the greatest effect on range will be the nut behind the butt. 8-) The barrel length I feel would play a more important part than barrel profile.

EG. A 40 gr Varmint X leaving the muzzle at around 3600 FPS will be about 1" high from 100 - 150 yds, zero at 200, about 3" low at 250 and 5" low at 300.

So, a fox side or chest on with a central hold is in big trouble out to around 250 yds. Rabbits beyond 225 yds. will depend on how good you are at range estimation, wind, time of day etc. Go for it!

The varmint barrel will add a bit of weight and should steady the rifle for the longer shots and it's not like you'll be lunging it around all day.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by prodel » 03 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm

Hercl wrote:You don't need a heavy barrel for 15 shots in an hour.

Especially when talking hunting accuracy.

Ok, thanks.
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by prodel » 03 Jun 2014, 3:14 pm

RoginaJack wrote:So, a fox side or chest on with a central hold is in big trouble out to around 250 yds. Rabbits beyond 225 yds. will depend on how good you are at range estimation, wind, time of day etc. Go for it!

That would be plenty of distance :)

Just gotta practice and do my part now ;)
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control