.204 spotlighting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

.204 spotlighting

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 14 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm

Me and my father went out for a spotlight on the out-paddock the other night and had good night on the bunnies and got a fox as well. :D I have to say that this particular rifle is my favourite for the foxes and bunnies out to 200+ metres . I have yet to see any animal that lived more than a couple of seconds after being slammed by the 32 grain Accu-tip bullets :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (225.23 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.07 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: .204 spotlighting

Post by TPCKRT » 14 Jul 2014, 8:03 pm

Dial up some handloads and watch it really perform. Factory loads dont do the 204 justice.
Never Point Your Firearm At Something Your Not Willing To Shoot...
.177 - .22 - .204 - .300wm - 12g
Current Score:
7x Cats 65x Foxes 4x Fallow
TPCKRT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2014, 12:12 am

TPCKRT wrote:Dial up some handloads and watch it really perform. Factory loads dont do the 204 justice.

I don't know about that one mate - I used the 32gn Factory Rem Ammo and was head shooting bunnies off the side of a hill from 220-255m using my bipod. That was the first time shooting the rifle when I got it (hence the factory ammo).

My Howa shoots that stuff just as good as my handloads! :lol: but too expensive to be shooting often ($40) so it wasn't long before I was handloading for it.

Nice shooting by the way Nukebomb88, nothing better than smacking a few bunnies and foxes :D

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 15 Jul 2014, 7:00 am

bigfellascott wrote:
TPCKRT wrote:Dial up some handloads and watch it really perform. Factory loads dont do the 204 justice.

I don't know about that one mate - I used the 32gn Factory Rem Ammo and was head shooting bunnies off the side of a hill from 220-255m using my bipod. That was the first time shooting the rifle when I got it (hence the factory ammo).

My Howa shoots that stuff just as good as my handloads! :lol: but too expensive to be shooting often ($40) so it wasn't long before I was handloading for it.

Nice shooting by the way Nukebomb88, nothing better than smacking a few bunnies and foxes :D

I agree Scott, the hornady 32gr Vmax bulk packs shot well out if my wife's CZ. They would group around 3/4" at 100 m and skipped along at nearly 4000fps. Even the 40gr hornady factory's held 1moa.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2014, 8:49 am

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I agree Scott, the hornady 32gr Vmax bulk packs shot well out if my wife's CZ. They would group around 3/4" at 100 m and skipped along at nearly 4000fps. Even the 40gr hornady factory's held 1moa.

Chronos

Too right mate, all the factory ammo I've tried in the 204 has shot well (only 2 diff brands) but they were both good enough to put 4 shots into a 1/4 of a 1c piece @ 50m
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 15 Jul 2014, 8:56 am

Nice shots Scott ! I haven't gotten around to hand loading yet but I plan on starting for the .204 and .223 some time this year :)
. At the moment I'm shooting 32 and 40 grain Accutips from remington with great accuracy . The 40gains are my go-to bullets if it's a bit windy because they seem to suffer a bit less accuracy drop off in the wind :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

NukeBOMB88 wrote:Nice shots Scott ! I haven't gotten around to hand loading yet but I plan on starting for the .204 and .223 some time this year :)
. At the moment I'm shooting 32 and 40 grain Accutips from remington with great accuracy . The 40gains are my go-to bullets if it's a bit windy because they seem to suffer a bit less accuracy drop off in the wind :)

Nothing wrong with the Rem stuff or the Fed Premium stuff, both go well in mine. I haven't tried the 40gners in mine as yet (got the 40gn V-max there to try) but since I have around 1200 SBK's there and they shoot great I can't see myself mucking around with the 40's anytime soon. I also have some 26gn Barnes VG's which shoot real well to in the Howa so I will be working up a load for them too (want them for the fox skins).

Keep it up mate, your shooting very well and when you get into reloading you'll find it should shoot that little bit better again and be a hell of a lot cheaper to run over time too.

cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control