Ethics of shooting, hares and rabbits

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Ethics of shooting, hares and rabbits

Post by mausermate » 16 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

We all (well, most) know the normal stuff about firearm safety and standard hunting ethics. Don't point your gun at things you don't want to kill, do not let animals suffer etc, etc. Further to that, a licensed shooter must pass a test before they get a license and many of these things are listed in the test.

I guess I am like most and when I have new or young shooter come across my path and I am taking them shooting I go through the normal rules, just to reenforce and remind.

I also have a number of other rules (ethics) on my property, when I go hunting or I am on the range that are not accepted as "standard rules"

Things like, I never shoot a Hare because they mate for life. :cry:
Rabbits must always be shot in the head. If you are not good enough to do that go back to the range. ;)
Never shadow your mate on the range when you go down to shoot. Changes in light effects shooting picture. :x

There are lots of them. Do you have any special ethics? are there things that get your dander up when shooting or you just don't think is appropriate behavior? I am making a list and sure would appreciate a wider perspective.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Ethics

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm

I dont really have a set of ethics, but similar to you, i'll watch what a new shooter does and say something if they are doing what I consider wrong ... like gut shooting ( We have all done it, but hopefully it wasnt on purpose ) etc etc. If they continue to do so, Ill wander off and never have a shooting session with them again ... They really get the message if we are out bush and I wander off, since it's usually my vehicle.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by lole » 16 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm

MeccaOz wrote:They really get the message if we are out bush and I wander off, since it's usually my vehicle.

Ba ha ha. Gold.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 16 Jul 2014, 3:47 pm

I'm probably just repeating the safety handbook here...

Treat all firearms as loaded.
Always point them in a safe direction.

As far as basic safety goes if you follow those two rules there isn't much left to go wrong?

When hunting if I hear another hunter nearby, if I can hear he is closed enough to reach I will go over and sort out with him which directions we'll both be moving/shooting in.

If he's too far to reach but we're potentially within range of each other I will fire a shot to annouce my presence.

As far as humane hunting goes, I just apply common sense again.

Use a suitable calibre, pay attention to shot placement and don't take pot shots are ranges you don't have a reasonable chance of success at.

I don't think I can claim to have had any revolutionary ideas there...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Ethics of shooting

Post by Noisydad » 16 Jul 2014, 6:12 pm

Here's one...

Never, NEVER let your partner beat you in a shooting comp!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 16 Jul 2014, 9:30 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is that possible little lone ethical ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ohh Dear Me
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wilso1994 » 16 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm

All guns are loaded.
All guns must be pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Don't point guns at things you don't intend to shoot.
I do not shoot native animals (unless drop tags are provided)
I don't shoot Hares unless the greek bloke from Sydney wants to buy them from me.
All foxes seen must be shot accordingly. (I hate foxes, absalutely love shooting them though).
A good pigs a dead pig (I don't care if the property owner chases them they destroy the enviroment).
Try to shoot everything in the head (with the exception of foxes, why? because they're a bloody cruel animal)
Don't shoot over a rise.
Before you line up a shot look around what your shooting to make sure there isn't some nutcase in the background
If by any chance you fail on the rule above this one and shoot a cow or sheep - i. Headshot. ii. Bodyshot.
i - If the animal is worth putting in the freezer, skin and dress it for the property owner and get my mate (butcher) to cut it up, buy the cocky a carton of his favourite beer and finally tell him about the animal give him the beer and all of the cut up meat.
ii - Buy the cocky a carton of beer and either pay him or offer him a few days of free labour to pay for you mistake.
Funny thing is I have actually accidently shot a cow laying down in the grass thinking it was a pig, I followed section i. That was a year ago and I still get permision to shoot there :P
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 18 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

Noisydad wrote:Here's one...

Never, NEVER let your partner beat you in a shooting comp!

That's not ethics, that's maintaining your 'man card' requirements :P
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

Kelix wrote:That's not ethics, that's maintaining your 'man card' requirements :P

Here's mine :lol: :D :lol:
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (34.36 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by whert » 19 Jul 2014, 1:45 pm

Hares mate for life, hey.

Where does that leave you if you're controlling for pests though?

Are they the same problem as rabbits or different?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 19 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

Wilso1994 wrote:Don't shoot over a rise.

Yep, should have had sensible shooting backdrop on my list too.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 19 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

Whert, I think hares are pretty much the same as rabbits for breeding.

3-4 litters a year with many young, and numbers get out of control quickly.

Up to the farmer what to do about the mating for life I suppose.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 19 Jul 2014, 2:34 pm

whert wrote:Hares mate for life, hey.

Where does that leave you if you're controlling for pests though?

Are they the same problem as rabbits or different?

I always understood that Hares did mate for life and when I see them i never see more than two together at once.

They are different to rabbits as they only live on top of the ground rather than underground and they do have a specified breeding season, unlike rabbits that go at it all the time. The saying breed like rabbits does not apply to hares. The rabbits dig warrens (holes) and can be a hazard to wildlife and livestock. Rabbit numbers can increase rapidly if uncontrolled. This is not the case with hares.

Yes, Hares have been known to cause some crop damage, they are fairly partial to newly planted trees and I have had trouble with that in the past. I tend to put guards around the trees rather that shoot the hares. Also, Hares are not considered a pest by the Department of Local Land Services in NSW. Rabbits, Foxes and Pigs are. It is interesting to note that Land owners have an obligation to control pests on their land and penalties can apply if you do not. Lucky for the Hare, he's not on the pest list.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 19 Jul 2014, 3:35 pm

Maybe "identify your target" is our rule for the day. Hearts and Prayers to all those connected to MH17.
NEVER, NEVER shoot at something until you are absolutely, positively sure it is what you intend to kill or put a hole in.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 19 Jul 2014, 11:58 pm

I agree with a lot of what has already been said so I'll add in.

*If your hunting with one or more other people, communicate, confirm and agree how everyone will make their firearms "safe" in the field, traveling in a vehicle and at camp. That way everybody will have a piece of mind knowing the status of each firearm.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 20 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

5Tom wrote:*If your hunting with one or more other people, communicate, confirm and agree how everyone will make their firearms "safe" in the field, traveling in a vehicle and at camp. That way everybody will have a piece of mind knowing the status of each firearm.

You'd hope those things would be common sense wouldn't you :(

Never had it happen to me, but I've heard a few stories from blokes in the shop or wherever of a party strolling along and there is an unexpected *boom* because some idiot is walking along with one in the pipe for no reason.

I tell ya, you only get one chance with that s**t with me.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by whert » 20 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

mausermate wrote:I always understood that Hares did mate for life and when I see them i never see more than two together at once.

Not saying your wrong mate :)

Just new information to me and was interested.
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 20 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

whert wrote:
mausermate wrote:I always understood that Hares did mate for life and when I see them i never see more than two together at once.

Not saying your wrong mate :)

Just new information to me and was interested.

No worries whert, all good mate :) It could all just be a phurfy! I can't seem to find any info to back up my claim. I still don't like shooting hares and you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story anyway so I'll stick with it until someone proves me wrong.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 20 Jul 2014, 2:14 pm

Surprised the Greens haven't jumped on this and spun some colourful stories.

"You know who mates for life? Hares, deer, rabbits, pigs, goats, wild dogs, foxes, feral cats..."

In an unbelievable twist every hunted created on earth mates for life :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 20 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

sorry, should clarify. "have the same mate for life"
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 22 Jul 2014, 10:10 pm

Yeah I understood you.

Just joking around with phony excuses they could come up with for other things ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tommyguns82 » 23 Jul 2014, 8:37 pm

the land owner where I shoot said the same thing about Hares being a mate for life and that its unlucky to shoot one.
not that I've done it but I like to ask why? I know they live on top of the ground but don't they do as much damage as rabbits?
I have shot one rabbit in the guts (not thinking very early days) and I wasn't happy with myself after. I guess I learnt something that dad.
I even shoot mixo rabbits for the reason it seems as a painful way to dye even for a pest
tommyguns82
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 23 Jul 2014, 8:50 pm

tommyguns82 wrote:the land owner where I shoot said the same thing about Hares being a mate for life and that its unlucky to shoot one.
not that I've done it but I like to ask why? I know they live on top of the ground but don't they do as much damage as rabbits?
I have shot one rabbit in the guts (not thinking very early days) and I wasn't happy with myself after. I guess I learnt something that dad.
I even shoot mixo rabbits for the reason it seems as a painful way to dye even for a pest

Hi tg2, I made a comment about Hares, their comparison with rabbits, damage and pests in a previous post in this thread. Worth a read if you don't know about hares. Cheers.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by whert » 24 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

Missing the link mauser?
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 24 Jul 2014, 11:19 am

whert wrote:Missing the link mauser?

how do I do that?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tommyguns82 » 24 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

Whert, I think mausermate was taking about this

They are different to rabbits as they only live on top of the ground rather than underground and they do have a specified breeding season, unlike rabbits that go at it all the time. The saying breed like rabbits does not apply to hares. The rabbits dig warrens (holes) and can be a hazard to wildlife and livestock. Rabbit numbers can increase rapidly if uncontrolled. This is not the case with hares.

Yes, Hares have been known to cause some crop damage, they are fairly partial to newly planted trees and I have had trouble with that in the past. I tend to put guards around the trees rather that shoot the hares. Also, Hares are not considered a pest by the Department of Local Land Services in NSW. Rabbits, Foxes and Pigs are. It is interesting to note that Land owners have an obligation to control pests on their land and penalties can apply if you do not. Lucky for the Hare, he's not on the pest list.
tommyguns82
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by whert » 26 Jul 2014, 12:25 pm

My bad guys.

Thought I was looking for a link, not the previous reply.

:)
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control