Recommendations for fox hunting?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Recommendations for fox hunting?

Post by jennageit » 17 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm busy doing research, looking for my first shotgun to start taking care of the foxes around here. It feels like I breed sheep purely to feed the local fox population!

Anyway, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to firearms, so I'm going to find myself a club to start out with.

My question is:

I'm a lightweight (tall but too skinny for my own good), have tiny (weak looking) wrists and a grip strength of <45kgs right hand.

My plan is to sit out near one of the old trees where the foxes cross and pick the buggars off before they get to my lambing paddock. Can anyone recommend a shotgun that will do the job (if my aim is true) but wont sit me on my butt? I just want to kill them, not blow them apart, but everyone I've spoken to comes up with a different idea. One enterprising fellow said i could borrow his slug gun if I wanted to (not gunna happen).

So, suggestions for a lightweight beginner with a smallish budget would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Recommendations for fox hunting?

Post by mausermate » 17 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

Hi Jenna. I have not had much luck with a shotgun shooting foxes unless they are whistled in close. Any 12 gauge will do the job but for me a 17HMR or a 22 hornet are great fox guns that don't make too much noise or blow them to bits or bust the shoulder. Lots of second hand hornets on the market on usedguns.com.au. Good luck with the lambing, hope the weather in VIC is kind to those ewes.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Jul 2014, 9:27 pm

i'd agree with mausermate, stick to a 22 hornet or .222. recoil will be about 1/10th that of a shotgun, it will be lighter to carry and reach out about 4 times as far

get onto usedguns and look through everything between .22magnum and .223

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm

Id agree with tbe above especially if your slightly built, go for a 17hmr or something similar.

The fox population is going gang busters my way to.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm

Get yourself a spotlight and a rifle (222, 223, 204) etc - I use shotties on em too but that is when I whistle them in, I think for what you want a rifle would be a better option, if noise is a concern go something like the 17hmr or 22mag.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm

Hi Jenna,
I also agree with the others, ie: a nice .17HMR would be great, as in very little recoil, accurate and flat shooting that leaves the idea of a shottie for dead.
Devastating on the fox, with little pelt damage and low noise as another plus.
Topped with a scope of reasonable to good quality, eg secondhand Zeiss Conquest, are easily come by.
If your not worried about noise, my 1st choice would be a 22/250 fed with Winchester at 4,000 fps

Another suggestion would be save some dollars, and or, sell some ewes and get yourself a "NiteSite NS200"
I recently bought one and am absolutely enthralled with it.
Seems I might be the only one to buy one, as I've not had any replies from my recent posting on this unit. ( Anyone ???? )
But believe me, it lives up to all promises and expectations.
I use mine mainly via a Zeiss Duralyte and 22/250, and sometimes on a Leupold and .17 HMR.
Cheers, and best wishes
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Westy » 18 Jul 2014, 8:06 am

bigfellascott wrote:Get yourself a spotlight and a rifle (222, 223, 204) etc - I use shotties on em too but that is when I whistle them in, I think for what you want a rifle would be a better option, if noise is a concern go something like the 17hmr or 22mag.

Hey Scott she was going to use a 12gauge don't think noise will be a problem!!!!LOL :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2014, 8:13 am

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Get yourself a spotlight and a rifle (222, 223, 204) etc - I use shotties on em too but that is when I whistle them in, I think for what you want a rifle would be a better option, if noise is a concern go something like the 17hmr or 22mag.

Hey Scott she was going to use a 12gauge don't think noise will be a problem!!!!LOL :lol: :D :lol:

Yep too true Westy :lol: :lol: :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 18 Jul 2014, 12:29 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry for sounding dumb, but what is a 17HMR? It sounds like that's going to be my best option.

I don't give a damn about noise. If the fox goes deaf before I kill it, who cares lol For that matter, if I go partially deaf, if I've got a dead fox, I'll be more than happy lol

At present, I can get within about 20ft of the foxes, but I expect that to change fairly quickly.

On a side note, I've gotten in touch with FGA and they gave me the contact details for the local gun club. A quick phone call, and I've been invited to their come and try day in September. I can't make the one next month as I've got a severe back injury and can barely walk, but I'm there for the next one!

Another quick question. How should I dispose of any foxes I manage to shoot? I'm on 7 acres, right on the Strzelecki Highway, and I doubt anyone would appreciate me hanging them from the fences. Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys, and sorry for any dumb questions, I'm so new to this it's all like algebra to me!

Jenna

PS. I went onto the Clayton Firearms website and found this: Marlin XTR 17HMR BLUED SYNTHETIC SPORTER http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produ ... er-clayton

Would this be a good start?
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

jennageit wrote:Hey Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry for sounding dumb, but what is a 17HMR? It sounds like that's going to be my best option.

I don't give a damn about noise. If the fox goes deaf before I kill it, who cares lol For that matter, if I go partially deaf, if I've got a dead fox, I'll be more than happy lol

At present, I can get within about 20ft of the foxes, but I expect that to change fairly quickly.

On a side note, I've gotten in touch with FGA and they gave me the contact details for the local gun club. A quick phone call, and I've been invited to their come and try day in September. I can't make the one next month as I've got a severe back injury and can barely walk, but I'm there for the next one!

Another quick question. How should I dispose of any foxes I manage to shoot? I'm on 7 acres, right on the Strzelecki Highway, and I doubt anyone would appreciate me hanging them from the fences. Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys, and sorry for any dumb questions, I'm so new to this it's all like algebra to me!

Jenna

PS. I went onto the Clayton Firearms website and found this: Marlin XTR 17HMR BLUED SYNTHETIC SPORTER http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produ ... er-clayton

Would this be a good start?

Hi Jennageit
I wish you'd said 7 acres in the 1st instance.
Forget the 22/250, or any other centre fire, and stick to a .17HMR (a .17 caliber rimfire rifle) at most.
Maybe just on 7 acres I would go back to your original idea of a shotgun.
And maybe just get a shovel, and bury em mate. :)
Cheers
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

You might even be better of trapping or baiting em if its only 7 acres. If you do trap em buy yourself a cheap 22 to shoot them in the head then bury the carcass.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 18 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm

I will definitely look into the trapping idea. Baiting isn't really an option around here due to other wildlife, farm dogs etc.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 18 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

Buy a old Holden and hang the tails on the aerial, just kidding!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm

jennageit wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm busy doing research, looking for my first shotgun to start taking care of the foxes around here. It feels like I breed sheep purely to feed the local fox population!

Anyway, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to firearms, so I'm going to find myself a club to start out with.

My question is:

I'm a lightweight (tall but too skinny for my own good), have tiny (weak looking) wrists and a grip strength of <45kgs right hand.

My plan is to sit out near one of the old trees where the foxes cross and pick the buggars off before they get to my lambing paddock. Can anyone recommend a shotgun that will do the job (if my aim is true) but wont sit me on my butt? I just want to kill them, not blow them apart, but everyone I've spoken to comes up with a different idea. One enterprising fellow said i could borrow his slug gun if I wanted to (not gunna happen).

So, suggestions for a lightweight beginner with a smallish budget would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jenna

I would go .22lr over 17 mhr, the .22lr ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

My father would shoot foxes with his .22 when i was a little kid,he would skin them in those days,my mother held the spotlight for him, a headshot from a .22 will do the job no worries.

You could get a .223, that would make a good second gun.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm

jennageit wrote:
It feels like I breed sheep purely to feed the local fox population!

Are you classified as a primary producer?

If yes then you want Category C on your licence and a Ruger 10/22.

Try google for "pink ruger 10/22' then click on images to see this fearsome gun.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 18 Jul 2014, 6:00 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
jennageit wrote:
It feels like I breed sheep purely to feed the local fox population!

Are you classified as a primary producer?

If yes then you want Category C on your licence and a Ruger 10/22.

Try google for "pink ruger 10/22' then click on images to see this fearsome gun.

Unfortunately we aren't classified as primary producers. property is too small and we don't make enough money off it to meet their requirements. By the way, I'm applying for Category A + B, in case that's important to know.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 18 Jul 2014, 6:07 pm

Westy wrote:Another quick question. How should I dispose of any foxes I manage to shoot? I'm on 7 acres, right on the Strzelecki Highway, and I doubt anyone would appreciate me hanging them from the fences. Any suggestions?
Buy a old Holden and hang the tails on the aerial, just kidding!!!!!!

At the risk of pi$$ing off lots of people, you couldn't pay me enough to own another Holden.

We have Volvo's (stop laughing!), 6 Mercedes, 2 range rovers, 1 mini, 3 valiants, 2 fords and a few others. there's 18 cars on this joint at the moment, and almost half of them are mine. a couple belong to the kids, my husband owns the rest.

My personal car is a 350SLC Mercedes. No way am I hanging a foxtail off that.

I did make a call this afternoon, and the daughter of a friend wants the pelts, if they are in okay condition, so i don't have to worry about disposing of them, thankfully.

Can anyone tell me about shooting competitions for complete beginners? do they exist?

Cheers guys,

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 18 Jul 2014, 7:53 pm

if it is windy where you live i wouldn't go for the 17hmr, the bullets can be blown about a bit at longer ranges, you wont be shooting them close in for long so a 22 is out as well. i will buck the trend and say go for a 243, it shoots flat, fast and far. rounds are cheapish and recoil is light,if you were going to use a 12 gauge you wouldn't even feel a 243. all you need is a good backstop so you don't shoot the sheep in the next paddock ;) or you could go a 223 that will do the job as well, you will most likely have to shoot 150 mtrs plus after you have shot a few and missed a few so a bit of range work may be in order but thats fun as well :)
best of luck
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2014, 8:55 pm

Laffin,
I always wanted to know someone that owned a Volvo, and also at risk of pis#ing some one off,,,
I wanna know, Whats it like to drive a make believe car ?

Just kidding
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Westy » 19 Jul 2014, 7:17 am

I have a 66 corvette .Tell me when was the last time you heard a song about a Volvo???? :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

Die Judicii wrote:Laffin,
I always wanted to know someone that owned a Volvo, and also at risk of pis#ing some one off,,,
I wanna know, Whats it like to drive a make believe car ?

Just kidding

Make believe my arse! lol

In the last 12 months, the old Volvo has 15 confirmed fox kills (pre dawn and after dusk driving) and come out the other side laughing maniacally. The newer volvo has killed 2 foxes, but that car is way too fox friendly, too much plastic etc.

The old Volvo also ran over a roo and spat it out the back like it was nothing, although the guy behind didn't think so, cos the roo nearly landed on his bonnet. My hubby spent a couple of days picking bits of fur and skin out from underneath the car.

Never heard a song about a volvo, maybe that's a good thing.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 11:50 am

Hey Guys,

I've just watched a youtube video on the Marlin XT-22R, and after reading what the guys on here have been talking about, maybe it'd be a better option for me.

Thoughts guys?

I'll be using it for foxes. Earlier this year we had a maximum of 16 different foxes on this place, with a couple of those being quite small. My neighbour believes there is a den where our two properties meet.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2014, 7:56 pm

Hey there Jenna,
One thing you don't say about the Volvo,, What mileage do you get out of the older one ?
Do you park it alongside the Mack fuel tanker ?
With 18 vehicles on the property, maybe the fox den is underneath one of them. Hee Hee

Another possible fox solution could be a Cross Bow ,, (nice and quiet)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2014, 9:22 pm

Oh no. A volvo driver ! WITH A GUN !!!!

Iv owned a few Holdens.... Hq prem, hq tonner, LH torana, hz sedan, hz wagon, 3 wb utes and a vz wagon,

Only owned one ford .... XB sedan , but NEVER a volvo...... never
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wilso1994 » 19 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm

Buy a cheap open sight .22 for $100 bucks. Buy a Silva Fox Whistle and learn how to use it. I have owned a silva for 6 months now and I have shot more foxes in this past 6 months than I have since I started shooting 15 years ago
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 11:51 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hey there Jenna,
One thing you don't say about the Volvo,, What mileage do you get out of the older one ?
Do you park it alongside the Mack fuel tanker ?
With 18 vehicles on the property, maybe the fox den is underneath one of them. Hee Hee

Another possible fox solution could be a Cross Bow ,, (nice and quiet)

Hey,

We get about 11kms per litre in the old Volvo. Pretty economical, and it's probably been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's done everything we've asked of it, and done it easily.

I know we have hares that live under the cars. The bloody things scare the hell out of me as they jump out when I'm walking past them. Most of the cars get moved around on a regular basis, but those that don't (my mini, 2 range rovers, 2 benz's, 1 older volvo and a ford) seem to be ideal spots for hares to raise their young!

The most thirsty car I have was my old Range Rover that I am part way through stripping down. It's donating parts to my other Range Rover. When I'm done, I'll turn the old Rangie into a spotlighting vehicle, the one i'm fixing will go on club reg until I get it ready for full road registration.

As for crossbow's, no thanks. lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

+1 on getting a fox whistle, take a chair into the yard blow the whistle and they will come to you,much easier that way.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

Fox whistle and camping chair now added to the list.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by riggee » 20 Jul 2014, 5:19 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I always wanted to know someone that owned a Volvo

Most exciting dream ever :lol:
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 7:54 pm

We just added another Mercedes Benz to the paddock. My stepson just bought a 280E as a first car.

I love my volvo. She may not be pretty, but she's fast and does a real number on any foxes stupid enough to try and outrun her, or play chicken with her lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control