Fox Pelts? Any uses?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Fox Pelts? Any uses?

Post by AusC » 11 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

jennageit wrote:$10 bounty is nice, especially if I manage to wipe the bastards out on my place.

Some guys make a decent amount of $$$ doing it.

If you've got an infested property it's not shooting them that's the problem, it's getting around collection them that takes the time. And it used to be $5 per pelt as well which made spending the effort on it less appealing.

At $10 a head though, if it's making a profit for you more power to you.

Good luck with it.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 11 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

jennageit wrote:I'm not sqeamish VIChunter, but I f***ing hate foxes and their smell.

I'll give you that.

Can't argue about that smell...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 11 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

try the lieders,spellings wrong but you can google,tanning kit, it makes the leather nice and soft,colour's the leather a bit(blueish) but good for beginner's about 40 ish bucks. i dont know how to remove the fur if you just want the leather but im sure someone on here will know 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 11 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

I'll check it out Tom, might make life easier for Katie. Thanks
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by thankyoumissthing » 14 Mar 2020, 8:53 pm

Hey guys, I know this post is pretty old by now, but I'm wishing to buy fox skins for a project and would prefer to buy them locally (I'm in Melbourne, Victoria)
If anyone sees this would you be able to let me know if you'd ever be interested in selling skins to me? Thanks!
thankyoumissthing
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2020, 9:33 am

thankyoumissthing wrote:Hey guys, I know this post is pretty old by now, but I'm wishing to buy fox skins for a project and would prefer to buy them locally (I'm in Melbourne, Victoria)
If anyone sees this would you be able to let me know if you'd ever be interested in selling skins to me? Thanks!

You could very well have them queing. However more info needed.
How many?
How would u like them Dried, tanned?
Condition required?
Winter, summer coat?
Price?
Small holes OK?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2020, 9:54 am

I love foxes, hunting them at least they are a great looking animal when they are on a good patch i have one that i shot and skinned as a lounge ornament and another as a key chain. But i cant stand the smell of them.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Mar 2020, 11:43 am

The manager of my hunting block reckons he uses scented talcum powder on his skins to increase soft feel and disguise the smell. Reckons it works super
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2020, 1:09 pm

The ones I have tanned, well I cant smell anything from them. Mostly used Leaders then some Neatsfoot oil and then some Jayel saddle type leather wax
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Blr243 » 15 Mar 2020, 2:04 pm

My guess is that if you can’t smell the finished product then u prob did a good job of it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm

Before I start any tanning I do give them a wash. This guy has a lot of information on skinning, and prepping hides and a little bit on tanning. He puts all his pelts in the washing machine. Not the same on he does his laundry I hope. It looks rank.

Forgot the link

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCporYD ... tqQX7SLs5g
Last edited by sungazer on 15 Mar 2020, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Ferrisweil » 15 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

I’m gonna suggest something left field and I know it works because a mate of mine used to do it.
He managed a very well known tackle store in Brisbane and any Fox we shot out west, he’d take the tail, salt it, dry it out and sold them in the store as a whole tail. Think they used to retail between $50-$100 per tail.
The local fly fishermen loved them for tying their own flies because of the different colors on them and the long hairs. Was a handy little money spinner but he was quite selective on the tails. Had to be healthy and bushy.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 17 Mar 2020, 9:48 am

Ferrisweil wrote:I’m gonna suggest something left field and I know it works because a mate of mine used to do it.
He managed a very well known tackle store in Brisbane and any Fox we shot out west, he’d take the tail, salt it, dry it out and sold them in the store as a whole tail. Think they used to retail between $50-$100 per tail.
The local fly fishermen loved them for tying their own flies because of the different colors on them and the long hairs. Was a handy little money spinner but he was quite selective on the tails. Had to be healthy and bushy.

The way toilet paper is going out the doors at the shops he might be able to sell them as arse wipes
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control