Whistling foxes Howski style

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Whistling foxes Howski style

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm

Well I went out again today to another property to have a little look around to see what the foxes were doing there. The weather was a bit ordinary today (despite the glowing reports on the weatherzone site) it was as cold as a witches titty, wind was blowing its head off (was ok when I left home) :? but I figured I'm here I might as well stick my head into the wind and see if I can get any red dogs to come out.

The first couple of stands saw no foxes at all, I then moved around to another spot that has a heap of blackberrie bushes, I walked about 5 steps from the BT, sat down and started whistling with the homemade Tenterfield, I went for around 10mins and nothing showed, so I just sat there for a bit admiring the views, next thing you know a little ol Vixen wondered into view :boogie: I moved and it stopped and looked my way, I stayed still and waited for it to start wondering off again, I then closed the bolt, took aim and whilst it was having a pee I nailed it right in the ear! :lol:

I picked her up and had a look at the damage and FMD it was a tiny little hole, I turned it over and saw a massive hole in its back, so the bullet entered near the ear and travelled along its body only to blow out its spine area. :shock: This is not the first time I've seen strange entry exit wounds using these 39's but either way the fox was down for the count and that's all that matters to me at the end of the day.

After the usual photo session I drove about 300m up along the same patch of blackberries, stopped the BT and got out and got into position next to a small clump of blackberries, this time I used the Scotch Predator Caller as the Whistle had blood on it from the previous fox and I wasn't putting that in my mouth again until it was properly cleaned! :D

Anyway I was giving the Scotch Predator caller a good ol go for about 5mins when I spotted another fox come from behind some blackberries, I lined up the X hairs on its Diamond, squeezed the trigger and down it when, bang on target and this one exited the back of its neck area. I had a quick scan of the blackberries and spotted the rear leg of another one disappearing behind another clump of blackberries, I kept calling for a few more mins but couldn't entice it to come out.

Anyway another round of photos and I was off again in the BT, I tried a few more spots but nothing showed interest, I made a return call to Missed (forum member) after that I had a bit of a look around for some bunnies but none were seen, I called again from the BT with the Scotch Predator Caller and next thing you know a fox pops it's head up over the hill, takes one look at me and fooks off! :lol: bloody little bugger.

I decided to go over to another part of the property that has good blackberry patches, had a whistle etc but nothing else showed up so though I'd fire a few rounds at a knot in a tree which was 220m away just off the bipod sitting on the ground and all 4 were within a 1-1.5" group so was happy with that. :D

Anyway here's some pics

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: whistling foxes Howski style

Post by Patrol66 » 13 Aug 2014, 8:21 am

Well done ;)
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: whistling foxes Howski style

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2014, 8:37 am

Patrol66 wrote:Well done ;)

Cheers mate, always good to get out and smack a few red dogs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Whistling foxes Howski style

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Aug 2014, 2:00 pm

Yeah,, Well done Scottie
Seeing as you mentioned "strange" entry / exit holes, I'll relate a pure fluke/arssy shot I had as a teenager with my old Mum holding the spotlight.
I mean, one of those never in a million years could you do it again type.
I was barely 16 yo at the time, and the rifle was a .22 single shot.
We found this fox laying on its belly in grass looking straight into the spot light.
I sighted between the eyes, and fired.
At the shot, nothing changed or moved, the fox kept staring at the light.
I cussed, saying How the hell did I miss, he's only about 50 yards away.
I frantically started to reload the old rifle, but my Mum called out saying "I don't think you missed dear"

I looked up, just in time to see the eyes slowly close.
When I picked it up, the entry hole was obviously right between the eyes, but we couldn't see any exit.
Later at home I did the inevitable autopsy.
You know, that bullet went straight thru the brain, and miraculously found its way into the spinal cord tract.
It then followed that tract like a train thru a tunnel.
I eventually found the projectile about as far back as the kidney region, with all the front section of spinal cord concertineered up in front of it.
I was using Remington bullets, and they must have been harder, as they never used to mushroom as much as the other brands.
This projectile was almost unmarked except that it had certainly shortened in length.
Like I said, , , One big Fluke
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2014, 3:41 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Yeah,, Well done Scottie
Seeing as you mentioned "strange" entry / exit holes, I'll relate a pure fluke/arssy shot I had as a teenager with my old Mum holding the spotlight.
I mean, one of those never in a million years could you do it again type.
I was barely 16 yo at the time, and the rifle was a .22 single shot.
We found this fox laying on its belly in grass looking straight into the spot light.
I sighted between the eyes, and fired.
At the shot, nothing changed or moved, the fox kept staring at the light.
I cussed, saying How the hell did I miss, he's only about 50 yards away.
I frantically started to reload the old rifle, but my Mum called out saying "I don't think you missed dear"

I looked up, just in time to see the eyes slowly close.
When I picked it up, the entry hole was obviously right between the eyes, but we couldn't see any exit.
Later at home I did the inevitable autopsy.
You know, that bullet went straight thru the brain, and miraculously found its way into the spinal cord tract.
It then followed that tract like a train thru a tunnel.
I eventually found the projectile about as far back as the kidney region, with all the front section of spinal cord concertineered up in front of it.
I was using Remington bullets, and they must have been harder, as they never used to mushroom as much as the other brands.
This projectile was almost unmarked except that it had certainly shortened in length.
Like I said, , , One big Fluke

That is a funny one mate, the little 22 can certainly roll them if you place your shot correctly, normally the BK's make a mess but not this time (well not on the entry anyway! Makes me wonder if that fox I shot the other day was hit now? :? It sorta ran of a little funny in a way but I put that down to having something whiz past ya at 4200fps would do that. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by whert » 14 Aug 2014, 2:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The first couple of stands saw no foxes at all, I then moved around to another spot that has a heap of blackberrie bushes

Those things are out of control.

A few of my local camping places have sections of blackberry bushes that would me 100m long in places and metres wide. Blocks off huge sections of the river where I fish.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2014, 2:18 pm

whert wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:The first couple of stands saw no foxes at all, I then moved around to another spot that has a heap of blackberrie bushes

Those things are out of control.

A few of my local camping places have sections of blackberry bushes that would me 100m long in places and metres wide. Blocks off huge sections of the river where I fish.

Yeah there are some bloody good blackberry patches around alright, works for me. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 14 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm

The only good fox is a...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2014, 3:58 pm

AusC wrote:The only good fox is

In ya X-hairs! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2014, 4:25 pm

What is the brand of Bi-pod you are using in the photo? Looking for one that height.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 5:11 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pom » 16 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

+1 for the Harris Bipods :)
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm

Pom wrote:+1 for the Harris Bipods :)

Yeah the do the job well for me, only thing I don't like about it is the way it closes up, you press a little lever and the legs spring in real quick and I've had more than my share of blood blisters from it! I got 2 last week alone! :lol: you'd think a bloke would learn after the first one! :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pom » 18 Aug 2014, 11:05 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah the do the job well for me, only thing I don't like about it is the way it closes up, you press a little lever and the legs spring in real quick and I've had more than my share of blood blisters from it!

I don't mind the spring but they could do something to cushion the clang when you close them.

A little padded washer inside or something so they close softly and quietly, not crashing up into the legs.

That would be good.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nords » 18 Aug 2014, 11:06 am

You making any money from pelts Scott or just clearing 'em out?

Between your fox and rabbits you go no shortage of targets eh?
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2014, 11:29 am

Pom wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yeah the do the job well for me, only thing I don't like about it is the way it closes up, you press a little lever and the legs spring in real quick and I've had more than my share of blood blisters from it!

I don't mind the spring but they could do something to cushion the clang when you close them.

A little padded washer inside or something so they close softly and quietly, not crashing up into the legs.

That would be good.

Yes they could certainly look at making them a little more user friendly! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2014, 11:31 am

nords wrote:You making any money from pelts Scott or just clearing 'em out?

Between your fox and rabbits you go no shortage of targets eh?

I was trying to get a few for a fella up Nth, but I just keep putting big holes in em so not much point until I can either find a projie that doesn't do that or get another cal that is a little more fur friendly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by veep » 19 Aug 2014, 10:11 am

bigfellascott wrote:I've had more than my share of blood blisters from it!

Ditto.

I've taken a few mates to the range and all off them caught a finger in those snappy legs.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

veep wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I've had more than my share of blood blisters from it!

Ditto.

I've taken a few mates to the range and all off them caught a finger in those snappy legs.

:lol: bloody hurts when it happens.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 21 Aug 2014, 9:28 am

Maybe you should try getting your fingers out of the way.

Just come to me in future with this kind of stuff, I've got all the answers *nod*.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

Norton wrote:Maybe you should try getting your fingers out of the way.

Just come to me in future with this kind of stuff, I've got all the answers *nod*.

I suffer from "Goldfish" memory! :lol: I soon remember again once I get a blood blister happening! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 22 Aug 2014, 9:38 am

bigfellascott wrote:I suffer from "Goldfish" memory! :lol: I soon remember again once I get a blood blister happening! :lol:

I do that with fast food.

I eat some mc-tuckey-jacks meals and feel s**t, tell myself never again, 6 months later I drive past and think mmmm, that looks good.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by dubyay » 22 Aug 2014, 9:39 am

Aussier wrote:mc-tuckey-jacks

:lol: :lol: Best name ever.
dubyay
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2014, 9:43 am

Aussier wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I suffer from "Goldfish" memory! :lol: I soon remember again once I get a blood blister happening! :lol:

I do that with fast food.

I eat some mc-tuckey-jacks meals and feel s**t, tell myself never again, 6 months later I drive past and think mmmm, that looks good.

Yep I've started eating Gluten Free a week or so ago, bloody ate some Macca's and felt ill after it! :roll: It will take time to get the bad habits out of ones life, especially when I keep forgetting that a lot of food has Gluten in it. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tapper » 25 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

Dunno that it's the gluten that's the problem in these things (not just it anyway).

Enough fat and sugar alone to send you into a coma in most of 'em.
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2014, 9:11 am

tapper wrote:Dunno that it's the gluten that's the problem in these things (not just it anyway).

Enough fat and sugar alone to send you into a coma in most of 'em.

Yeah true mate, I feel sick whenever I eat KFC too, just too much for the body I think?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 26 Aug 2014, 12:07 pm

Just straight up terrible for you I'd say :lol:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control