Trapping Foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Trapping Foxes

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm

Anyone else here into Trapping? I've just received an order from http://www.gettrapped.com.au/ for 3 Bridger 1.65 traps (for foxes) also got some Wax, Dye, Sieve, Fox E Fox Pee, Ted Mitchell's DVD's on how to go about it. I'm in the process of rusting the traps up a bit before I start the dye/waxing process (the rust helps the dye/wax adhere to the traps) the reason for doing this is to help protect the trap from being detected (shiny surfaces etc) and to also protect the traps from rust etc).

The springs etc are there to help reduce the ability of the fox to pull the stakes out (stops that sudden jolting as such), the traps have rubber jaws which aids in reducing any damage to the animal, the fox pee is an attractant to help lure the foxes to the site of the trap.

Here's a vid from my mate Maxy who also traps foxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubg4USLUfU
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Trapping Foxes

Post by Westy » 16 Aug 2014, 6:44 am

Wow Scott you are a man after my own heart ,now that's scary !!!!! I now live in a semi rural area and we trap foxes as we can't shoot here. Most people who live here don't even know that the little buggers are hanging around their rubbish bins!!We get on average 1-2 a week when were trapping, haven't done it for a few years will be interested to see how you go might even stir up the juices in me to have a go again. Do you ever trap dogs Scott??? Now that's fun, we head out Warwick way and if you trap Dogs you'll always get on for a a shoot as well
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 7:26 am

Westy wrote:Wow Scott you are a man after my own heart ,now that's scary !!!!! I now live in a semi rural area and we trap foxes as we can't shoot here. Most people who live here don't even know that the little buggers are hanging around their rubbish bins!!We get on average 1-2 a week when were trapping, haven't done it for a few years will be interested to see how you go might even stir up the juices in me to have a go again. Do you ever trap dogs Scott??? Now that's fun, we head out Warwick way and if you trap Dogs you'll always get on for a a shoot as well

Nice one Westy, it looks like a lot of fun and a very interesting way to study fox habits from what I've seen. This will be my first time of doing it for myself so it will be a learning curve. I've still got to get some stakes sorted and some gloves for handling the traps and a set to handle the lures etc and then I'm pretty much ready to go.

I was speaking to a Plumber the other day and he get's wild dogs/dingo's down his way so they are about, I haven't heard of any of the property owners I shoot on mention anything about dog probs but they do say if you see a dog shoot it.

Once I get started I'll let you know how it goes. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 16 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

I watched a youtube video series on trapping, creating a path and directing the animals over the trap, I thought it was interesting to think of the animals as behaving as we do, by seeking to avoid stepping on twigs and branches.... then using that to their 'downfall'

Wax dye sieve pee??

Do you need all that stuff bigfella?

Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

You could probably get away without dying and waxing but they are there to help protect the trap from rust and detection and for a small $$ outlay ($13) for the wax which can be recycled over and over as it floats to the top and solidifies after you put it in with the dye so just pull it out and store it away until needed next time, as for dye you can use the bark or leaves off trees so no cost there if you want to go that way, the sieve well I would say definitely get one as it will make things a little bit easier when it comes to keeping the debri out of your trap which can affect how the trap works, you could easily make one out of some mesh of some sort nailed to a wooden frame, that one of mine was $30 so not overly cheap/expensive, I'll dye and wax it too and it should be good for a few years if I look after it.

I got all my equipment here http://www.gettrapped.com.au/ - Pete is a good fella to deal with. I'd get Ted Mitchells DVD's as they explain how to go about it and all the other intricate details that are involved etc, well worth the $$ for someone starting out.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 16 Aug 2014, 10:52 am

At first I was surprised at how quickly the trapped rusted over.... but then they seem to blend in with a bit of leaf litter spread over.
All good! get trapping
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 11:13 am

1290 wrote:At first I was surprised at how quickly the trapped rusted over.... but then they seem to blend in with a bit of leaf litter spread over.
All good! get trapping

Yeah they don't take long to rust once the oil coating comes of em, I've got mine hanging in a tree at the moment waiting for the promised rain to come in and help with the rusting process, once they have a nice coating on them I will dye and wax them, then they should be protected from any further rusting issues (well that's the theory anyway) :lol: time will tell.

Did you dye/wax your's before you used it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 16 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

naturally protected with a coating of rust.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 11:27 am

1290 wrote:naturally protected with a coating of rust.....

:lol: :lol: love it., I'd get some leaves and bark etc and boil it up and drop em in, should help protect them better, also get the wax, worth looking after them at around $40+ depending on brand/size etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 16 Aug 2014, 11:29 am

hey bigfella, try giving the traps a light spray with vinegar, it will help with the rusting 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm

tom604 wrote:hey bigfella, try giving the traps a light spray with vinegar, it will help with the rusting 8-)

Thanks for that mate, I'm sure I read something about that not long ago, can't remember what the go was now. I've got some vinegar there so might give em a squirt.

Cheers

Edit:- Just sprayed them with Vinegar!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 17 Aug 2014, 7:56 am

Hangem in the tree at my place we got plenty of rain here at the moment!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2014, 10:05 am

Westy wrote:Hangem in the tree at my place we got plenty of rain here at the moment!!!

Yeah we've been getting plenty here since last night too. I've just fired up the wood oven and got the drum on heating up the dye, I've just dropped the traps in so will get em out in an hour, see how they look then drop the wax in and let it melt down then pull em back out through it, then the job should be done! ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mr.x » 17 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm

Any youtube links worth looking at ?
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2014, 3:51 pm

Mr.x wrote:Any youtube links worth looking at ?

Yeah mate, just type in fox trapping, ya should find some. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mr.x » 17 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm

Thanks mate , I see that fox whisperer there again jeez he does alright on the foxes, is he a member on various forums ? I have trapped a fox at me brothers place at Samford and the cheeky bugger pulled the stake out and pissed off into the lantana,after a quick walk through the bush we found him hiding deep under a lantana bush watching us,To this day he Is the grosses fox I have ever seen ! Full off mange ulcers all around his mouth and face he was in terrible condition.
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2014, 5:47 pm

Mr.x wrote:Thanks mate , I see that fox whisperer there again jeez he does alright on the foxes, is he a member on various forums ? I have trapped a fox at me brothers place at Samford and the cheeky bugger pulled the stake out and pissed off into the lantana,after a quick walk through the bush we found him hiding deep under a lantana bush watching us,To this day he Is the grosses fox I have ever seen ! Full off mange ulcers all around his mouth and face he was in terrible condition.

He's on Facebook - Fox Hunting Australia I think it is.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by roob » 18 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm

Quite the kit, Scott.

How many you expect to get a week with all that?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2014, 7:10 pm

roob wrote:Quite the kit, Scott.

How many you expect to get a week with all that?

I honestly haven't thought about it mate, I know there's plenty of foxes around the properties I have access too - time will tell I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by roob » 18 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm

Well, keep us posted :)
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 18 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm

roob wrote:How many you expect to get a week with all that?

3 a day by however many days you put them out in an infested area I'd say.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2014, 8:37 pm

May be some truth in that. Before bluing ther was " browning ". Basically the guns were rusted then oiled.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2014, 8:43 pm

May be some truth in that. Before bluing ther was " browning ". Basically the guns were rusted then oiled.

Edit: just making my point twice. Lol It only happens with ny tablet?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 18 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 18 Aug 2014, 8:58 pm

the authentic old schoolers rust blue instead of hot or cold blue.... takes a lot longer, more involved. Its more correctly termed passivation as the layer of oxide makes the surface more 'passive'. The colour can be blue/bluish (blueing) brown (browning?) Black (Parkerization generally), plum red, in fact many colours depending on the combination of chamicals used in the process.... Blue just happens to be the most common colour finish.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Aster » 19 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:Edit: just making my point twice. Lol It only happens with ny tablet?

I'm stuck on what the problem is TBH. :|

The forum gets thousands of replies a month from other members all without drama, the duplicate replies only happen for you and 1-2 other people occasionally. Grrrr.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by hootshoot » 19 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

Oldbloke wrote:May be some truth in that. Before bluing ther was " browning ". Basically the guns were rusted then oiled.

That's what anodising aluminium is really isn't it?

They electrically burn a super thin layer of oxidization onto it I think?
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm

Aster wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Edit: just making my point twice. Lol It only happens with ny tablet?

I'm stuck on what the problem is TBH. :|

The forum gets thousands of replies a month from other members all without drama, the duplicate replies only happen for you and 1-2 other people occasionally. Grrrr.

The problem is me & my Samsung tablet so don't worry. :?: I think is great, I get to make my point twice with no additional effort. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 20 Aug 2014, 9:31 am

That's what I like to hear, 1 less thing for me to address :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by 1290 » 20 Aug 2014, 6:25 pm

hootshoot wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:May be some truth in that. Before bluing ther was " browning ". Basically the guns were rusted then oiled.

That's what anodising aluminium is really isn't it?

They electrically burn a super thin layer of oxidization onto it I think?

Aluminium is more reactive than Iron, a microscopic layer of (Aluminium)oxide will develop as soon as the 'fresh' Al is exposed, by say a scracth or cutting etc... Anodising does produce an oxide layer but is used more so to apply a die colour to the surface by running a current through the Al where the die fills to pores of the metal.

Passivation of Iron /Steel alloys uses heat or chemical reactions without passing an external current through the material to develop the finish...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by hootshoot » 21 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

I'm sort of following you.

Not quite across where the electricity comes into staining it :lol:

Will do some reading rather than highjack the thread. Might post a new topic if/when I get stuck :lol:
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control