Rabbit disease or parasite? What is it?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Rabbit disease or parasite? What is it?

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2020, 5:20 pm

Ffs. Seriously. Ffs.
I gut and skin in the dark - you have just completely changed my thinking on that...ffs.
I am going to lose weight over this post.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 13 Apr 2020, 6:57 pm

a lot of people feed rabbit to their dogs without skinning them and give the worms to them without knowing Tassie
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 Apr 2020, 7:11 pm

LOL marksman...!!.. :lol:

TassieTiger wrote:Ffs. Seriously. Ffs.
I gut and skin in the dark - you have just completely changed my thinking on that...ffs.
I am going to lose weight over this post.

Just check them over in daylight mate before you freeze em...or take pics with your mobile then look at them & zoom in--they stand out with pics taken with the flash on much easier than with naked eye--i think cos the light penetrates the cyst & illuminates the larve better..

If its any consolation...im sure id have eaten the worms infected ones, at least once or twice over the last 4-5 decades not knowing what it was...but i always cook them well so if thats the case, you'll be fine... :thumbsup:

I hope this post goes out of my mind soon though, ive just defrosted & soaked one & now its in buttermilk for some Southern Fried Rabbit delight in couple of days... :shock: :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by safeshot » 18 Jul 2021, 9:51 pm

Tape worm or Hydatid. Either one is nasty, Do not feed to pets or humans even if cooked (eew)
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 19 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

Hydatid tapeworm eggs...not on toast.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 21 Jul 2021, 4:35 pm

If it is hydatits then it's not commonly found in wild rabbits. If it is it can be there and show virtually no symptoms.

The definitive host is the dog. So you must treats your dog's with worming tablets. If dog's don't have hydatits then they can't pass it on to rabbits and sheep.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control