Rabbits and rabbits and rabbits and...

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Rabbits and rabbits and rabbits and...

Post by scrolllock » 29 Sep 2014, 3:38 pm

I was out pretty early this morning before peak hour for a 20 minute drive through SE Melbourne this morning.

Driving through the burbs, factories, highway etc. Not driving through the fields.

Saw 16 rabbits happily chewing away along the road. How many must be thriving in the bushes hey?

C'mon Gov, might be time to start giving some culling permits out?

I bet the local golf course owners would support you :D
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rabbits and rabbits and rabbits and...

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2014, 5:56 pm

Are they four legged ones or two legged ones ?
:D :D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by veep » 30 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

They do something like a permit to destroy pests in populated area.

I think you need a business who depends on it like the golf course? to support you?

Something to look into maybe.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by fruittree » 09 Oct 2014, 6:31 pm

I know the particular cluster of rabbits scrollock refers to. The rabbits along the north side of the western highway to Melbourne can't really be shot at effectively because they graze on the grassy verge of a 100kph highway but the warren(s) are on the other side of the fence of the adjacent property.

On the south side of the highway, the Werribee Zoo, golf course, equestrian club and Werribee park undertake rabbit control to varying degrees of success. The SSAA's pest management program has been shooting rabbits with the cooperation of some of the above agencies and has greatly reduced the numbers. Previously they were a much bigger problem.

There was once an attempt to poison the rabbits along the highway and it was met with a lot of resistance from animal rights' activists.

The Department of Primary Industries employees on the south side of the highway are appreciative of the help that shooters have provided, I know this from personal experience.
fruittree
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Khan » 10 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

fruittree wrote:There was once an attempt to poison the rabbits along the highway and it was met with a lot of resistance from animal rights' activists.

They must prefer running them over?
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by scrolllock » 10 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

fruittree wrote:The Department of Primary Industries employees on the south side of the highway are appreciative of the help that shooters have provided, I know this from personal experience.

Are they still doing the shooting there though or has it been canned?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 10 Oct 2014, 10:37 pm

When I did my firearms safety course at the start of the year, the SSAA fellow who did half of it said he goes out to Werribee Park on Thursday nights to cull rabbits.

One of my customers used to spotlight rabbits at a local golf course. Then they built a DSE station next door and they told him he wasn't allowed to anymore.

Imagine spotlighting on a golf course at night with a golf cart! ;)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 11 Oct 2014, 9:11 am

scrolllock wrote:
fruittree wrote:The Department of Primary Industries employees on the south side of the highway are appreciative of the help that shooters have provided, I know this from personal experience.

Are they still doing the shooting there though or has it been canned?

The department is happy, because they enforce the 'law' that requires landowners to not allow rabbits to spread, as they are a declared pest.... If you have rabbits (or goats, pigs, foxes) you might not be allowed to shoot them, but you are REQUIRED to control them. If your close to houses,roads you may need a populous place permit (generally if the neighbours complain...)

So dont rely on the govt to see the problem and hand out permit (under firearms law) the owner has the underlying responsibility....

The department are happy... ha...good one seat-warming bureaucrats!! better the taxpayer does your job hey!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

FuzzyM wrote:Imagine spotlighting on a golf course at night with a golf cart! ;)

My local course would definitely be the place to do it.

They're spilling out onto the roads at dusk when the weather is good.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 12 Oct 2014, 7:32 pm

the country courses may let you , i dont think you will have much luck with the town ones :(
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

No chance of it on my local.

Roads and houses all the way around.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control