Do you think rabbit numbers are on the rise?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Do you think rabbit numbers are on the rise?

Post by Macca » 30 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

has anyone noticed any general increase in rabbit population over the years? could this be because rabbits around now have a natural resistance to Myxomatosis?
:)
Macca
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Do you think rabbit numbers are on the rise?

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

SSShhhh, Macca, you might wake up the Myxo boffins from their Lab nap!

But, yes, I do but only in isolated areas and this could be due to lack of trapping, shooting, resistance to Myxomatosis and the drought (less Mozzies).

I used to trap for the local Butcher and R.M.W. would buy the dried skins from me but I don't think that happens today. I can'r recall when or where I saw a local skin & hides buyer.

Also, I've noticed more Hares around too.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bennybigbores » 30 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

Definetly more around, part of our property for the last 20yrs never seen a rabbit, the odd hare, but in the last 8 months shot over 30+ and that's not even thinned them. And on the parts were there are always bunnies, well well just shot gunned over 200 in just over 2hrs virtually a rabbit shot every 50 seconds, some very hot barrels, bruised shoulders and fat foxes
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 01 Oct 2014, 1:21 pm

Sorry guys I have to disagree.

Sure there are pockets of poulation but overall there seems to be less. Gone are the days of running over as many rabbits as you shot. or running out of ammo in the field.

I know in the Snowy Region the local council has a controlled release programme of Calleichi (Spelling ) Virus. and this has desimated local populations to levels I have never seen in my life. The humble bunny is a survivor though despite preditation and human efforts to get rid of them.

I'm sure they will be back just like the NRL grand Final.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 01 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

I can only speak for SE Victoria here but in my travels there look to be more.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 03 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

Shotfox wrote:I'm sure they will be back just like the NRL grand Final.

I reckon they're waiting on the fringes of mans territory... The invasion is soon I tell ya! :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 03 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Shotfox wrote:I know in the Snowy Region the local council has a controlled release programme of Calleichi (Spelling ) Virus.

"Calicivirus"

(I did actually know that without Googling to look like a smart ass :lol:)
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zilla » 03 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

Shotfox wrote:I know in the Snowy Region the local council has a controlled release programme of Calleichi (Spelling ) Virus. and this has desimated local populations to levels I have never seen in my life. The humble bunny is a survivor though despite preditation and human efforts to get rid of them.

Keeping them down will be the trick.

They powers that be will mark this as a success and forget about it. Numbers will go back up and by the time they sort their s**t out to do it again we'll be back to big numbers.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 03 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Shotfox wrote:Sorry guys I have to disagree.

Have to side with shotfox on this.

I'm going with down overall.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 03 Oct 2014, 6:42 pm

i will call steady,,a bit up from a few years ago but it seems that when they start to get thick the mixi/cali virus smacks them down again ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 7:50 am

Yeah they seem to have started to increase around the properties I frequent, I've been thinning them out as best I can.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 04 Oct 2014, 10:54 am

Yes I think their on the increase in Western Queensland for sure!!Have seen more in the last 12 months than we've seen in a long while!!! I've been told that the increase is due to the lack of rain , which cause mosquito to breed up to plague proportion's which then do their work spreading the "Calici Virus" Bugger the Rabbits they need the rain bad , just got in today from a week out bush and man it's pretty Bloody dry out there!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Oct 2014, 10:23 pm

Rabbit numbers appear to be staedy where I live, I still see plenty of myxo but haven't noticed calicivirus probably because I dont check for it and they normally hang out and die in their burrows according to the boffins.

Going to head to Marree via Roxby soon for a hunt / family trip, will be interesting to see how many I spot on that trip.... been 5 years since I've done that run.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skadoo » 05 Oct 2014, 8:39 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I still see plenty of myxo but haven't noticed calicivirus probably because I dont check for it and they normally hang out and die in their burrows according to the boffins.

Are they still actively introducing that or is it just circulating and doing it's own work?
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 05 Oct 2014, 9:10 pm

I haven't seen a bunny on our property for about three years now! It's driving me mad because the only thing that I see when spotlighting is foxes or hare sbut never any bunnies. If you compare that to a few years ago when we'd always see 5 or 6 bunnies you'll see that in my area the number of bunnies has dwindled to almost none! :lol: I almost ( But not quite ) wish that there was still bunnies everywhere :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 05 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I haven't seen a bunny on our property for about three years now! It's driving me mad because the only thing that I see when spotlighting is foxes or hare sbut never any bunnies. If you compare that to a few years ago when we'd always see 5 or 6 bunnies you'll see that in my area the number of bunnies has dwindled to almost none! :lol: I almost ( But not quite ) wish that there was still bunnies everywhere :)

be careful what you wish for!!!!!! :P ;) :P
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by lowb » 06 Oct 2014, 8:48 am

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I haven't seen a bunny on our property for about three years now!

Maybe catch a few elsewhere and release them on yours. Come back 6 months later... Millions! :lol:
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control