A little Poke Around the the 222

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A little Poke Around the the 222

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2014, 3:18 pm

G'day fella's

I went for a little poke around today with the little 222 Howso to see how the foxes and rabbits were going on this particular property. Well it was quiet on all fronts, I tried a few different spots to whistle but nothing seen other than the odd roo, I did spot a crow at just over 120m so lined him up in the 12x Leupold M8, sent one on its way and was rewarded with a resounding THUD and the usual explosion of feathers as the 50gn SBK hit home :boogie: no more picking the eyes out of Lambs for that fella. (no pics sorry too bloody steep for me to get to it).

I then tried a few other spots and nothing seen or whistled in, at that point I was thinking of calling it a day but decided to go to a part of the property I hadn't been to before, I decided to have a little break so hooked into a few cold sausages and a nice cold drink - whilst sitting there I noticed these magpies carrying on on the property next door and soon spotted the reason - FOX! :boogie: I ditched the sausage and grabbed the rifle and sandbag from the passenger seat, I set the sandbag up on the bonnet, I got the rifle set up and found the fox in the scope and followed it as it was doing battle with the maggies, finally they left him alone long enough for it to stop for a second, we all know what happened then BANG FLOP TIME! :boogie:

It dropped like a stone and not even a twitch seen. I went back to eating the sausage whilst keeping an eye out just incase another one was lurking but none seen, once I'd finished lunch I headed off over to the next door neighbours property to check out the handy work. I located the fox soon after and was looking at it and realised it had something in its mouth, I thought what the fark is that, so found some dunny roll paper and used that to open its mouth only to find a small bird in its mouth (looked like a rosella or something similar going by the feathers).

Anyway here are some pics.

Last edited by bigfellascott on 10 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: A little Poke Around the the 222

Post by Westy » 09 Oct 2014, 4:06 pm

Nice work Scott looks like someone's kittens will be going hungry tonight !!!LOL no matter what the calibre there's no substitute for accurate shooting
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2014, 4:13 pm

Westy wrote:Nice work Scott looks like someone's kittens will be going hungry tonight !!!LOL no matter what the calibre there's no substitute for accurate shooting

Cheers Westy - yep looks like mummy won't be coming home tonight! She was a stinky bloody thing too. I don't think the cubs will suffer too much as I'd imagine they are getting ready to emerge soon enough, either way one less lamb and native killer removed from the environment is a good thing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bennybigbores » 09 Oct 2014, 5:28 pm

Love your work big fella, makes me a little envious cant get out as much as I'd like, quite demanding 2.5 year old and an even more demanding 6 month old. But when I get out I try to make up for it, hopefully Aster gets my bunny footage sorted and posted soon I reckon you'll be a fan
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

I can see a new hat in her :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Love your work big fella, makes me a little envious cant get out as much as I'd like, quite demanding 2.5 year old and an even more demanding 6 month old. But when I get out I try to make up for it, hopefully Aster gets my bunny footage sorted and posted soon I reckon you'll be a fan

Cheers BBB - I know how having kids can curtail ones life for quite a while, it soon passes and life can resume to some degree again. I look forward to seeing the Bunnie Action, I wouldn't mind taking some vids of some of my outings either but I have enough trouble doing what I do without adding to it :lol:

Those bunnies the other week would have looked good on vid! Now you see em now you don't! :lol:

MeccaOz wrote:I can see a new hat in her :)

No way I was going to skin that smelly little girl! :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by becks » 11 Oct 2014, 10:43 am

Great first photo there Scott.

You've got some real nice land.
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

becks wrote:Great first photo there Scott.

You've got some real nice land.

Cheers mate, I wish I owned the land!, but she's not mine - I've been lucky enough to be given access to hunt on it so that's good enough for me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 12 Oct 2014, 11:24 am

That's even better!

All the perks, none of the responsibilities ;)
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2014, 11:47 am

Aussier wrote:That's even better!

All the perks, none of the responsibilities ;)

That's pretty much how I see it too mate :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chacka » 13 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

Getting anything bigger than foxes out there Scott?

Filling the freezer with dinners?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Oct 2014, 3:45 pm

chacka wrote:Getting anything bigger than foxes out there Scott?

Filling the freezer with dinners?

Yeah there's deer and pigs, goats etc - I don't chase em though, bodies too stuffed for that caper now unfortunately :cry:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Seconds » 13 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm

Geez you've got it good when you're letting the bacon run away.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Oct 2014, 7:12 pm

Seconds wrote:Geez you've got it good when you're letting the bacon run away.

Trust me mate if I was physically capable of chasing em I would :lol: I'm way to broken to be doing any of that these days, that's why I stick to the foxes and bunnies as the foxes come to ya and the bunnies are so far for me accessible for the most part (can't go up and down hills anymore) nothing steep anyway as the knees and ankles aren't up to it anymore neither is the engine moving em all :lol:

I'm happy enough poking the foxes and bunnies and odd crow etc, mind you if I find any of the others in a open paddock I'll happily roll em :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 15 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Get the kids on hauling them back.

It's not 'manual labour', ooow bad!

It's 'exercise', kids need exercise ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Oct 2014, 2:01 pm

Norton wrote:Get the kids on hauling them back.

It's not 'manual labour', ooow bad!

It's 'exercise', kids need exercise ;)

:lol: I like the way you think! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control