My dogs aren't feral

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

My dogs aren't feral

Post by Press » 17 Oct 2014, 3:23 pm

(Bitching about the anti's time)

A mate of mine has a property we camp out at times and clear out the foxes, bunnies and occasional wild dog.

Outside of that, hunting comes up in conversation from time to time as it did today, and I was getting some bizarre looks from one of the workmates who knew I had a pair of pooches myself.

To paraphrase his comments, he couldn't accept the fact I can love my dogs and shoot a feral one. He's got it in his head that I must begrudgingly have the dogs and not want them and (without saying the words) suggested I'm all but neglecting them. He said maybe I should give them up to someone who'll enjoy caring for them more.

What a &*^%$^ idiot.

He's welcome to come out to the farm any time and give one of the ferals a nice scratch on the chin and see how much it appreciates his affection as far as I'm concerned. Because all dogs are the same, they must be as friendly as my two, right.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: My dogs aren't feral

Post by cavok » 17 Oct 2014, 3:38 pm

I guess your stupid work friend does not understand what a feral dog, wild dog will in to calves and lambs. Your pets are trained and not wold, massive difference. Get a photo of a killed young 1 day old lamb by a wild dog, he will then understand the massive difference, same as a house cat and wild cat, one perhaps was once, but no more, they kill 3-4 birds each per night. Some people never learn, never understand the difference between, domestic and wild, because few people have ever seen the results of a wild dog kill.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Some mothers do have em.

I wonder if he pats his steak before he eats it! :lol: what a knob jockey! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 17 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

This is what happens to dogs around my place…N/E Vic.
Attachments
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG (473.42 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 17 Oct 2014, 3:57 pm

…and a fresh one, this one copped a bullet from my .30-06 in the guts.
Attachments
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG (423.47 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2014, 3:59 pm

Are they old pics mate?, sure I've seen them years ago on Landline or something similar. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 17 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Are they old pics mate?, sure I've seen them years ago on Landline or something similar. ;)

Couple of years old but shows the problems farmers in N/E Vic and southern NSW are facing. They are still a big problem.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2014, 4:07 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 17 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

North East wrote:This is what happens to dogs around my place…N/E Vic.

Good on ya.

I would so love to be able to do this one one of the properties I shoot on, but I would have animal libbers and all sorts of bother. The property is within a long shot of a small town and I shoot three or four every year. They aren't proper wild dogs but pets that are allowed to roam who kill for the fun of it.

I can often supply a collar with all the details that some considerate owner has engraved in case their dog gets lost(They would be better chaining it up in the first place). Some of them are nice dogs too, it is a shame.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

Press wrote:(Bitching about the anti's time)

To paraphrase his comments, he couldn't accept the fact I can love my dogs and shoot a feral one. He's got it in his head that I must begrudgingly have the dogs and not want them and (without saying the words) suggested I'm all but neglecting them. He said maybe I should give them up to someone who'll enjoy caring for them more.

What a &*^%$^ idiot.

You have to educate the idiots at times, once upon a time we called our pets domesticated animals, ferals are not domesticated pets they are wild feral animals.

Wild dogs are a huge problem that are being blamed for our decline in sheep farming, lots of info on the web about this.

Here is a video of wild dogs having kangaroo for dinner,the kangaroos do alright against a lone dingo they don't have much luck against the bigger stronger wild mongrel breeds of ferals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njrn8wi08XQ
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2014, 4:42 pm

That vid: 1min20sec: Boom.... two in one. If only!

They knew they were being watched but didn't care, too keen on the kill.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Jack V » 17 Oct 2014, 5:11 pm

It's not a good idea to discuss such things in the workplace . You could make trouble for yourself if the boss thinks just like your stupid workmate and many do.
Keep clear of that idiot and tell him nothing in future .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

Jack V wrote:It's not a good idea to discuss such things in the workplace . You could make trouble for yourself if the boss thinks just like your stupid workmate and many do.
Keep clear of that idiot and tell him nothing in future .

+1 that has been my experience too
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 17 Oct 2014, 7:11 pm

Warrigul wrote:
North East wrote:This is what happens to dogs around my place…N/E Vic.

Good on ya.

I would so love to be able to do this one one of the properties I shoot on, but I would have animal libbers and all sorts of bother. The property is within a long shot of a small town and I shoot three or four every year. They aren't proper wild dogs but pets that are allowed to roam who kill for the fun of it.

I can often supply a collar with all the details that some considerate owner has engraved in case their dog gets lost(They would be better chaining it up in the first place). Some of them are nice dogs too, it is a shame.

If those dogs with collars and microchips are roaming around killing they are feral.

Shoot them…with extreme prejudice and a big caliber…not a .22.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

This is the head of a wallaby that I shot only minutes after the feral dog that was attacking it was also shot.

The feral dog had also broken the wallaby's right hind limb.

If the wallaby had only had its ears torn off it would have survived ok, but with a broken limb, I decided to euthanize it.

I suppose if the green brigade "knob jockeys" decide to chase me because of this pic, I'll be in trouble, but these do gooders need to see what happens in the REAL world.

100_3350.JPG
100_3350.JPG (432.92 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 19 Oct 2014, 3:25 pm

North East wrote:They are still a big problem.

Getting bigger too.

I watched a bit on some farmers that bought a few llamas to protect the sheep from the dogs, and the dogs got bold enough to kills the llamas instead.

A bullet's the only thing they can't beat :!:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 19 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:these do gooders need to see what happens in the REAL world.

They'd need to live here first.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control