Bullpup rifle in 22-250

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Bullpup rifle in 22-250

Post by tapper » 24 Oct 2014, 2:37 pm

Hi guys,

A mate of mine who's getting into shooting has decided he wants a bullpup rifle in 22-250.

Dunno why, that's just what he wants so here I am asking since he's got no net ATM.

New myself and don't know all the brands and options.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Bullpup rifle in 22-250

Post by Chronos » 24 Oct 2014, 2:53 pm

is there is any? i've never seen any factory bullpups in the entry level market so unless your mate is keen on a DTA SRS and a custom barrel but he'd be looking at near $7000 (they only come in 308 WIN, 300 WIN MAG, 338 LM, and 243 WIN

maybe you could get a stock conversion done but off the shelf i don't know.

i'd strongly suggest he try shooting a bullpup stocked rifle before buying one as their advantages can also be disadvantages when you're restricted to a bolt action rifle. to operate the bolt you have bring your trigger hand a long way back to operate the bolt, that can present it's own challenges.

http://thegunsmiths.com.au/desert-tactical-arms-srs/

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 24 Oct 2014, 3:56 pm

Chronos wrote:is there is any? i've never seen any factory bullpups in the entry level market so unless your mate is keen on a DTA SRS and a custom barrel but he'd be looking at near $7000 (they only come in 308 WIN, 300 WIN MAG, 338 LM, and 243 WIN

maybe you could get a stock conversion done but off the shelf i don't know.

i'd strongly suggest he try shooting a bullpup stocked rifle before buying one as their advantages can also be disadvantages when you're restricted to a bolt action rifle. to operate the bolt you have bring your trigger hand a long way back to operate the bolt, that can present it's own challenges.

http://thegunsmiths.com.au/desert-tactical-arms-srs/

Chronos

I think the same the same way as you Chronos .... I think Brett might be the expert doesnt he have 1 ... or 2 bullpups , lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 24 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

just googling buulpup stocks to see what stocks are available for which rifles and found this blog, seems to echo my thoughts on the design

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com.au/2005 ... -idea.html

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 24 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

In all aspects I beleive they look better, over, serving a practical purpose, specialty built units like the dts rifle seem to be brilliant but a lot of home job mod to old nagants and such not so much, In the US they sell a lot of drop in kits for various brands. I've had a bullpup project in the draft stages for a while working on trigger mechanisms at present, but as far as a factory bought unit, refer to chronos and then bret1868, I haven't seen any other than the dts and they have a hell of a price tag, if you Google bullpup stock images, there are some really neat looking well designed units but must fully custom
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Oct 2014, 7:42 pm

I shoot both regular stocks and bullpups but can't say I have a preference. Cycling the action is simple enough on either style once you get used to it, bit like swapping from right to left hand drive if overseas which is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. My question would be why would you want a small calibre in bullpup? Don't get me wrong cause I love my Sako 22-250 but can't imagine it as a bullpup. Step up to a .308 which is a better all round cartridge, save up about $7k and buy the DTA SRS A1 or the Covert version http://deserttech.com/guns.html. The DTA's probably have the best feeling trigger possible for a bullpup and I can't tell the difference between it and my Sako. Another option is to research what stocks are available for which donor rifles and see where that takes you but be prepared for grief with trigger feel and check the legalities of importing from overseas cause some sellers won't ship to Australia.

In short, if you want a bullpup that won't disappoint you then go the DTA, everything else will be a compromise.

check this demo of how to cycle the action....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYBANBHmKk
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Personally I wouldn't buy anything with a "Military Look" not because they don't look good or work well, just cos the Firearms Registries seem to be having a bit of a hard on about them at the moment (seen a few stories lately where people have had Firearms that are "Military Looking" confiscated without compensation.

Just not worth the risk to me to go down that path especially if you're in W.A. with the Colt M2012 being confiscated as we speak and no doubt others in their sights too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 25 Oct 2014, 2:33 pm

I believe the confiscations in W.A were related to paperwork irregularities with either the dealer or distribututor there rather then how the rifles looked. You'd have to check with the registry to confirm though as I'm just going off something I've read. My main reasoning behind purchasing the DTA rifles was due to being able to swap calibers in under a minute. With the 2 chassis I have I can choose to shoot 308, 338, 375 or 50 which makes life a little more affordable. I'll probaby buy the 6.5x47 & 416 kits when they arrive giving me a choice of 6 calibers in 2 near identical chassis. The bull pup design was only a minor factor in choosing this particular brand.

If any of u can get to St Marys and want several shots out of either the SRS or HTI then pm me and I'll see what can be arranged. You can make your own mind up about how a bullpup stock feels.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Oct 2014, 2:39 pm

brett1868 wrote:I believe the confiscations in W.A were related to paperwork irregularities with either the dealer or distribututor there rather then how the rifles looked. You'd have to check with the registry to confirm though as I'm just going off something I've read. My main reasoning behind purchasing the DTA rifles was due to being able to swap calibers in under a minute. With the 2 chassis I have I can choose to shoot 308, 338, 375 or 50 which makes life a little more affordable. I'll probaby buy the 6.5x47 & 416 kits when they arrive giving me a choice of 6 calibers in 2 near identical chassis. The bull pup design was only a minor factor in choosing this particular brand.

If any of u can get to St Marys and want several shots out of either the SRS or HTI then pm me and I'll see what can be arranged. You can make your own mind up about how a bullpup stock feels.

generous offer brett, i hope anyone interested in these guns takes you up on your offer, the DTA is certainly a well put together unit, it's a shame no one has taken the cue and come up with a more economical "civilian" version

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Oct 2014, 3:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:I believe the confiscations in W.A were related to paperwork irregularities with either the dealer or distribututor there rather then how the rifles looked. You'd have to check with the registry to confirm though as I'm just going off something I've read. My main reasoning behind purchasing the DTA rifles was due to being able to swap calibers in under a minute. With the 2 chassis I have I can choose to shoot 308, 338, 375 or 50 which makes life a little more affordable. I'll probaby buy the 6.5x47 & 416 kits when they arrive giving me a choice of 6 calibers in 2 near identical chassis. The bull pup design was only a minor factor in choosing this particular brand.

Nah mate not a mix up in paperwork, their just using that clause in the Act (something to do with appearance - Military look) there's even rumors of them looking at firearms that have camo stocks! so for those in W.A, that want anything that can be interpreted as a "Military Look" there is a fair chance they may want to take it off you - stupid I know but that's W.A, for you - full of limp wristed paper shuffling ******.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 25 Oct 2014, 3:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote: Nah mate not a mix up in paperwork, their just using that clause in the Act (something to do with appearance - Military look) there's even rumors of them looking at firearms that have camo stocks! so for those in W.A, that want anything that can be interpreted as a "Military Look" there is a fair chance they may want to take it off you - stupid I know but that's W.A, for you - full of limp wristed paper shuffling ******.

Damn...that sux a$$. I always thought NSW was the uptight paranoid state and W.A was more liberal and laid back. I loved the year I loved in Perth, great people, friendly atmosphere, sorta glad I moved back east now.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

Give it time mate, I'm sure the same stupid logic will be enacted here too, not a case of if more a case of when.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by agentzero » 26 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

A Remington or Tikka with aftermarket conversion.

MDT bullpup stocks for the Remington.

I can't remember who does it for the Tikka but someone does.

Factory options... NFI.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2014, 3:03 pm

Here's a vid about these appearance issues that I was speaking about - starts at (7.56min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxy1tJDu6I#t=476
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tapper » 26 Oct 2014, 7:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

Those chassis upgrades look the business but out of my price range probably. Bugger about nothing in a factory option so far though.

Hmm, thanks.
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control