HARB and the Bigfella go Bunnie Bustin

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

HARB and the Bigfella go Bunnie Bustin

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Nov 2014, 8:28 pm

G'day Fella's

Well it all started with an email from a mate of mine Harb asking if I could take him out for a bit of rabbit shooting, (He and Michelle had been burning the candle at both ends for mths and mths now with a new business project) so a quick phone call to the property owner and it was confirmed - we'd go the next day.

Anway Harb rolled up around 9ish, I tossed all my gear in his Patrol and we were off for the long 15min drive! :D We called in to have a chat to the owner who wasn't home, anyway we headed to a new little warren system I hadn't shot on before, after a bit of a search around to locate it - unbeknown to us at the time we were on one side of the bank parked looking for it glassing here there and everywhere wondering where the hell this warren was and as it turns out we were only a matter of metres away from it :rofl: :facepalm: which we discovered as we drove around said bank to go to another part of the property to have a bit of a look there.

After a bit of glassing we managed to spot a couple of rabbits so lined those up and promptly missed them :facepalm: Farking wind (thank god for windy days as we used that as our excuse for a s**t shot) :lol: seriously though it was windy out there so we knew we had our work cut out for us, regardless we were up for the challenge/fun.

Anyway as we were heading back the way we came we discovered the bloody rabbit warren with 4 or 5 bunnies sitting there, drove straight past the bastards without even realising it at the time :shock: how the hell did we do that? :)

We both had a crack at a couple of em and THANK FARK FOR THE WIND! we both missed em :D well this was starting out well - both of us had a few shots with the 22's now and still couldn't hit the side of a barn. :shock: anyway we waited another 20mins or so for them to re emerge but they thought better of it, so we headed off to see the property owner who had now come home.

Anyway here's a pics of the small warren system we'd completely missed - we were around 55m off it (Harbs Cooper and the Daughters Savage Mk2 in the pics)

Anyway after a quick chat to the property owner we set off up the hill to go to one of my favourite little places on the block that usually has a good supply of bunnies all over the place, well FMD the grass had grown since I was there a mth ago! :shock: it was a good foot high or more in places! I'm thinking this is going to be rather interesting trying to spot rabbits in this!

We drove around for a bit looking for em as best we could but we couldn't see SFA the grass was way too long so we stopped and had a bite to eat and a chat. We'd decided to head down the hill to another little valley that usually has good numbers of rabbits and the grass seems to be shorter all the time, so as we headed off I spotted a couple of rabbits up on a bit of a warren system about 120m or so away, out came the 204 Howski, I put a sandbag on the bonnet lined up the only one left to have a shot at and sent a 39gn SBK on its way - the bunny did the acrobatic flip that is common when they get smacked down with the little 204 :boogie: finally we'd opened the bunny busting account. :D

We drove over there to survey the damage and this is what we found, one headless rabbit :lol:

After the photos we'd decided to try and drive up over the hill but seeing as Harbs front Diff Locker had blown a hose on his recent trip to the Simpson Desert, that was easier said than done, we'd had a couple of cracks to try and get up but no go, so we had to do a rather precarious sideways trip around said mountain until we could find a spot to cross over safely (not much fun being on those sorts of angles I can tell ya, the trucks slipping around a bit which put the wind up me and I'm sure Harb too. :lol: not a good combo nasty angles and slippery grass! Anyway Harb managed to keep all 4 wheels the correct side up so all go.

We soon arrived at our new destination and the grass was perfect, you could see bunnies no worries at all in this spot so we were confident we should come across some sooner or later, we'd glassed around for a bit but none see so we figured we'd set up some targets and get Harbs 22, 17HMR and 204 Coopers all sighted in as he wasn't sure where they were up to in that regard (That's the prob when you own 21 million rifles ya can't remember what's been done to what) :D

Anyway we'd got all of em sorted good enough to poke holes in bunnies with which was good as the bunnies had decided to come out and see what all the shootin was about :lol:

We set about smashing a few of em which we did - max shot was 159m according to Harbs Swaro Rangfinder/Bino's (they are bloody nice to use for this sort of thing)

Duelling 204 (both these rabbits were shot at the same time :rofl: (Harb took the one of the Left and I had the one on the Right) we'd got into position and once everyone was set I did the ol 3 count and BANG FLOP both bunnies down. :lol: that scenario happened a couple more times through the coarse of the day.

Here's one that was re COOPERated ;)

Sniper bunnie getting ready for another shot

The Howso doing what it does best

All in all we'd have cleaned up close to 20 bunnies down in that spot, we were basically shooting them in a 360 degree arch, once the sun started going down a bit more we were seeing more and more of them emerging which was good. :auto:

We were sitting next to a warren and after a while the tiny baby rabbits would come out and have a look around which gave us some great amusement at times (we didn't bother shooting them as the were just too close to even worry about) plus they were fun to watch anyway. The hill in the background had a good foot or more of grass on it too but we were lucky as some bunnies were willing to stand on their back legs for a bit of a look around and as we know that's not a good idea when the Howski's around!

Harb missed one up there with his 17HMR then another one emerged soon after and I had a crack with the little HMR and nailed the bastard. :rifle:

After than we packed up as it was around 7.30pm at that stage and we headed for home, not before one last rabbit made the mistake of making himself known, the Howski 204 was out the window for a off hand shot - BANG FLOP that ones sorted and we made our way back to the property owner to thank them and set sail for home.

All in all it was a great day spent with a fantastic mate, what more could a bloke ever ask for? Life doesn't get any better than that for me :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: HARB and the Bigfella go Bunnie Bustin

Post by Westy » 03 Nov 2014, 8:48 pm

Scott as always great read mate and lots of dead rabbits ,nice work scott
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 5:03 am

Westy wrote:Scott as always great read mate and lots of dead rabbits ,nice work scott

Cheers Westy, it was a fantastic day out there, probably the best I've had and it wasn't so much the shooting more the company of a great mate. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 7:20 am

Lucky you most of my hunting buddies are Drunken Arseholes!!!!!! :lol: :ugeek: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Nov 2014, 7:43 am

was sniper bunny shooting under a P650?
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 8:04 am

Westy wrote:Lucky you most of my hunting buddies are Drunken Arseholes!!!!!! :lol: :ugeek: :lol:

I don't think I shoot with anyone who really drinks hard. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 8:06 am

petemacsydney wrote:was sniper bunny shooting under a P650?

:lol: :lol: poor ol sniper bunnie.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 04 Nov 2014, 9:29 am

Freaking hell…there will be no bunnies left sooner or later. Is that the Harb who also has a .50cal?
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 9:41 am

North East wrote:Freaking hell…there will be no bunnies left sooner or later. Is that the Harb who also has a .50cal?

Yes mate the one and same. :D we might give that a run on em next time! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 04 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

bigfellascott wrote:
North East wrote:Freaking hell…there will be no bunnies left sooner or later. Is that the Harb who also has a .50cal?

Now that is something I would love to see. I've seen the pics of that rifle been used at Little River or somewhere. If you blokes get that big beast out bunnie bustin see if you can put a video up….it would be a laugh a minute.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

North East wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Now that is something I would love to see. I've seen the pics of that rifle been used at Little River or somewhere. If you blokes get that big beast out bunnie bustin see if you can put a video up….it would be a laugh a minute.

Would be very interesting to see how it would go, don't think it will happen but.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

Nice one, Bigfella.

50 cal on bunnies??? Expensive way to go. Maybe use it just to shut down the entire warren! ;P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 8:05 pm

Gwion wrote:Nice one, Bigfella.

50 cal on bunnies??? Expensive way to go. Maybe use it just to shut down the entire warren! ;P

Yeah G about $20 a shot for factory, around $12 for reloads! :lol: I think we'll stick to the 22 and 204's etc, much more economical. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Yeah. I think you'd want that video to be 'pay per view"! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2014, 1:00 pm

Bloody oath, it would have cost us $400 the other day if the 50cal was used instead of around $10 or les :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RealNick » 10 Nov 2014, 1:41 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah G about $20 a shot for factory, around $12 for reloads! :lol: I think we'll stick to the 22 and 204's etc, much more economical. :D

$20 bucks a shot! Joizuz.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Nov 2014, 1:48 pm

RealNick wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yeah G about $20 a shot for factory, around $12 for reloads! :lol: I think we'll stick to the 22 and 204's etc, much more economical. :D

$20 bucks a shot! Joizuz.

Yep the 50cal ain't cheap to shoot, bloody expensive, one for the wealthier amongst us to shoot :D she's a hell of a blast but let me tell ya, you certainly know when ones gone off!! :lol: :lol: the ground shakes, the blast can be felt a good 60-80m away (I was in my tent that far away and could still feel the shockwave type thing! :shock: :lol:

AWESOME
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scrolllock » 10 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

And shooting one under a tin roof only adds to the excitement :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

scrolllock wrote:And shooting one under a tin roof only adds to the excitement :lol:

I don't reckon I'd enjoy that to be honest, hard enough being near one when it goes off, under a tin roof would be bloody horrible! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Nov 2014, 5:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't reckon I'd enjoy that to be honest, hard enough being near one when it goes off, under a tin roof would be bloody horrible! :shock:

YOU OLD FART WHATS WRONG WITH YOU :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm

You nailed it OL FART :lol: - seriously though the blast from em isn't real pleasant after a while (ok if you're shooting) but not if you're standing to the sides, man do those things bark big time!! I usually end up with a headache after being near em for a few shots also its not unusual to end up with nose bleeds if you shoot em too much!! as my mate found out! :shock: :lol:

Having said that every time the beast goes off I laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: it near blows ya hat off! :D :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

Yep pretty unpleasant to be around IMHO I hate when the eyes go blurry from the concussion when standing next to it!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Nov 2014, 7:11 pm

Westy wrote:Yep pretty unpleasant to be around IMHO I hate when the eyes go blurry from the concussion when standing next to it!!!!!

Haven't had that problem thank fark! :D the blast certainly goes through you.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scrolllock » 11 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

I'm with you mate, just being sarcastic above.

All the tin roof does it make the ears hurt!
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

scrolllock wrote:I'm with you mate, just being sarcastic above.

All the tin roof does it make the ears hurt!

Yep I reckon they'd be ringing regardless of earplugs and muffs! That muzzle blast would be somewhat ordinary too I'd imagine. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 11 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

Westy wrote:Yep pretty unpleasant to be around IMHO I hate when the eyes go blurry from the concussion when standing next to it!!!!!

hmmm just like a top fuel drag car
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Nov 2014, 5:12 am

deye243 wrote:

hmmm just like a top fuel drag car

Yes I could imagine they would be hard on the body too :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scrolllock » 12 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yep I reckon they'd be ringing regardless of earplugs and muffs! That muzzle blast would be somewhat ordinary too I'd imagine. :lol:

I'm not an expert on this but I think it reaches a level where you just can't protect against the sound. Ear muffs or not the waves are penetrating through the rest of your head and reach the ears.

I don't know what the limit is but it would be interesting to know. I reckon a few big bangers would top it?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control