Fox Whistles

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Fox Whistles

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2015, 5:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Regarding cheap fox decoys. I read some where that just tying something like some fur or chook feathers onto a low hanging branch on a bush or tree works. You can make it move with a piece of string. Sounds feasable to me. Has anyone tried it or similar?

Yeah Mate,, I got a piece of exhaust tube just long enough to protect the rubber of the Scotch Predator (from over exuberant fox teeth) and tied the predator call inside with cable ties around the wooden end, and also one around the end of the rubber (like a collar).
I made a lever on the end of the exhaust tube that connected to the collar via another cable tie.
I tied a few turkey feathers on to the lever, and operated it from any distance I wanted by using braided (so it doesnt stretch) fishing line on a small spinning reel.
So when you pull the line from your hide,,, it operates the scotch predator for sound,,, and the feathers for visual,,, all in the one motion.
Meanwhile, you can be quite some distance away and taking aim.

A small spike welded on the opposite end of the tube will anchour it in place.
I have also had a lot of success with leaving a rabbit gut laying next to it.

I was out last night (where I'm staying at the moment) with the NiteSite, and simply left a gut on top of a stump, and got 2 foxes coming to the same stump only 30 mins apart.
One in particular came in toward the stump, with the wind/breeze blowing from him to the stump, which is a testimonial to their senses. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by harveyspecter » 04 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

I think 204 Ruger is the speed machine.
my blog: http://www.zentiz.com/top-10-best-gun-safes-reviews/
harveyspecter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2015, 7:11 pm

harveyspecter wrote:I think 204 Ruger is the speed machine.

I'll stick with the time tested and proven old faithful :arrow: 22/250 :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 04 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm

Dunno if they are still available but I use the old Andrea Georgescu fox whistle, very much like the Tenterfield but made from thicker metal and its gold plated, gives a nice loud raspy sound.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 07 Dec 2015, 9:51 am

Thicker metal wouldn't hurt.

My last two button whistles got dented/squashed rolling around in the gear bag :problem:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2015, 1:58 pm

My Tenterfield is made out of SS so it ain't going to get damaged our out of shape anytime soon :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by lole » 08 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm

The button ones are steel too but are too thin.

Flex in your fingers with a little squeeze. If you really wanted to you could distort most in your hand if you were trying.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2015, 8:48 am

A bit off subject but has anyone tried any of these.? (At the bottom of the page)
http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm
I was thinking of playing them on a mobile phone
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm

I think I've downloaded a few of em before, can't remember now LOL got that many diff calls its hard to keep track of what did and didn't work to be honest, I generally try half a dozen diff calls in a session depending on whether they are responding or not.

I still reckon the bit of styrofoam works well when they are around and I find the scotch predator caller works well for em too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 05 Jan 2016, 8:43 am

Oldbloke wrote:A bit off subject but has anyone tried any of these.?

There is a mob in NZ that do a mini megaphone thing with a bunch of deer recordings too.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

Just got back from a mates place shooting foxes and building sheds - I nailed one, had a misfire on another (forgot to chamber a round) LOL and my mate shot one and it buggered off (it wouldn't have gone far going by the big blood patch on it's guts and we called in a few more and they were super caggy and soon as the light was on em the were goooone!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2016, 5:24 pm

So, I need some tips.
I do not generally spotlight. I like to whistle them up evening or morning. But my success rate has been patchy.
Locations are not in the middle of no where and the foxes are seeing human activity every day. eg not far from towns. Properties vary in size from 60 to 2000 acres
Usually use a 223 unless it is very thick cover.
I use Styrene on glass, Tenterfield and button mostly.
Typically every 5 or 6 stands I call in a fox. Is this normal or average?
Typically 3 out of 4 times the foxes see me first and bolts. So no chance of a decent shot. Very frustrating. Is this average?
I sit in front of trees, bushes or rocks to help break up my outline
I usually wear a cammo veil, grey cotton gloves and camo jacket and cammo hat/cap.
Generally whistle into the wind or at least a cross wind.
I try to limit movement but you must move a bit just to whistle!
So what else can I do? What are the most important things to do or avoid?
Any suggestions welcome.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2016, 5:42 pm

Ya might want to get yourself a caller of some sort if they keep busting ya :D What sort of country are you whistling em in? some of the country I whistle em in can be bushy and hard to find a spot where there is some open space if you know what I mean. I use a caller often and a decoy too which distracts them and it makes em easier to shoot em when they are focused on that and not you with a whistle.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jan 2016, 9:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ya might want to get yourself a caller of some sort if they keep busting ya :D What sort of country are you whistling em in? some of the country I whistle em in can be bushy and hard to find a spot where there is some open space if you know what I mean. I use a caller often and a decoy too which distracts them and it makes em easier to shoot em when they are focused on that and not you with a whistle.

Its mostly open with limited cover for me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2016, 5:19 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Ya might want to get yourself a caller of some sort if they keep busting ya :D What sort of country are you whistling em in? some of the country I whistle em in can be bushy and hard to find a spot where there is some open space if you know what I mean. I use a caller often and a decoy too which distracts them and it makes em easier to shoot em when they are focused on that and not you with a whistle.

Its mostly open with limited cover for me.

perfect for a Caller + decoy mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm

Well, I just spotted this idea on an archery site. Bloody simple idea. Umbrella cammo !! It is just an umbrella that has been painted & in this case a small hole cut in it.

cammo brolly.jpg
cammo brolly.jpg (276.59 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 12 Jan 2016, 6:42 pm

are you washing your cammo clothes in normal clothes wash,you know ,the ones that say whites come out whiter :unknown: it maybe that you stand out like dogs b#lls , it seems like your doing everything right, broken outline/cammo it maybe that your whistling too much? as in they look at the noise and see you? you can hold the button in your mouth and blow,the tenterfield is the devils work and will give me a heart attack and still not make any noise :oops: :lol:
how far from you are you seeing the foxes? maybe go out further?,try a blind/netting set up ? but how much do you want to carry? your seeing a good number of foxes but when you start shooting a few the number will go down :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Norton » 13 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, I just spotted this idea on an archery site. Bloody simple idea. Umbrella cammo !! It is just an umbrella that has been painted & in this case a small hole cut in it.

Can't decide if that's stupid or genius :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2016, 7:48 pm

"Can't decide if that's stupid or genius :lol:"

Yep, Im hearing ya.

When they see me they are typically about 70 meters or less and just out of cover. Im thinking perhaps I am moving too much and need a blind of some kind but as I walk a fair bit it has to be very light weight and convenient. I have some cammo type mesh so perhaps a light weight frame to go with it.

The umbrella idea has also given me a thought. You can get pop up sun shades for windscreens and beach shades, perhaps something along those lines?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Berper » 18 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

How much closer (why?) are you trying to get than 70m :unknown:

Or do you mean they're seeing you as you step out to shoot so doesn't matter anyway?
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2016, 9:12 pm

So, typically they see me and bolt before I spot them.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stevyrob » 19 Jan 2016, 2:56 pm

The key to success when fox whistling is to work as a team where possible, using shooters on both sides of the whistler. This way the fox will have to run past someone to get to the whistle. A team of three or more shooters with even amounts of shotguns, larger rimfires and at least one small centerfire works very well. Let the fox or foxes get within shotgun range and then use the rimfire for the first shot. If you miss the shotgun shooter takes over and for the fox that sits back a bit well the centerfire shooter can take control. This helps to keep the noise down and often results in more than one kill at each stand. Foxes are like any animal and are generally lazy and like an easy feed. The key to it is to only whistle enough to get them and keep them interested. Whistle too long and they will spot you. Never whistle when they are looking in your direction, always have some structure behind you and keep your movement to a minimum. If you find the foxes are absolutely bolting in always look for a second or third as this usually means there is competition. Carry a few different whistles if you feel the need but I personally only see the need for a good Tenterfield Whistle as so many varieties of sounds can be unleashed from someone that is pretty handy with it.
Stevyrob
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2016, 4:15 pm

I just found this web site so thought I would share it.

http://www.foxbusters.com.au/blog/about/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2016, 4:34 pm

Looks like foxes are capable of canibilism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejMXXrC51s
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 31 Jan 2016, 7:06 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2016, 10:03 pm

Yeah they may be picking up your scent too Old Bloke?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 01 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm

happyhunter wrote:Fox visioin is adapted for low light which actually makes it blurry compared to human but this blurriness also makes it adapted to be real sensitive to movement. Same idea as deer can't see blaze orange but blaze stands out like dogs nuts to humans.

I wear light colors in open paddocks and cover my face cos it's a bright spot on a dark blob to a fox. All that camo crap is designed to hide you from people vision and is a waste of time.

I don't know about the low light stuff and blurriness, but the sensitivity to movement is definitely right. Same in dogs.

I've had occasions where I was wearing bright colours or something solid like a long sleeve shirt with no camo to break me up against the background of bush, and I've come up from behind and stopped before they turned, or they've come across my path while I was standing still and they haven't seen me. This is at short-mid ranges where any person would immediately see you every time and they don't.

But you can be wearing full camo and twitch at 150m and they're onto you in a heartbeat.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2016, 8:15 pm

Mmmm, will have to watch my movement more. I knew it was important but now sounding like its critical.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

I wouldn't go as far as saying that all that camo stuff is crap. Anything that helps break up your outline is helpful, even a cap and mesh to cover the face (arms) but isn't that a form of camo?
Movement is very important or lack of but also smell too, so leave the Old Spice after shave and Rexona Deodorant off.
Another one is how hard are they hunted; foxes are very, very cunning and learn quick.

Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control