How did you justify that first shot?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: How did you justify that first shot?

Post by Jack V » 20 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:I only became conflicted after 10 odd years of hunting and vermin control, was raised hunting, killing, trapping, skinning, butchering, so I never had to make a decision it was just the done thing like tying your shoes, wasn't untill helping friend (pro roo culler) in a week culled uncountable Roos and the guilts hit me pretty hard, backed away from hunting for six months or so, but that was 10 years ago, I no longer hunt for the pure satisfaction, simply control pests, take meat, and a rare trophy it it stands out above previous ones. Except for foxes, warms my heart to see one explode on a weekly basis

I understand your feelings on that . I have been there also. The numbers involved in Pro Shooting can seem be a bit over powering . However if they did not cull those Roos like that we would be over run with them because of the vast availability of water now . In the early days roos could not survive away from natural water bodies but now with dams ,tanks , irrigation and crops they spread like wild fire . Something very unusual , unexplainable happed to me one time when I was culling roos in a fenced in corner concerning a single kangaroos behaviour . I can't say what it was because no one will ever believe it but it shook my resolve somewhat , it was not an attack of any kind quiet the reverse . Later on I shook it off and went back to pest shooting with no problems but it still remains an unexplained and scientifically bizarre happening . I have never told anyone ever what happened and I never will.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 20 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

hey,, we all know "what happens at band camp" stays at band camp :P and remember as long as you shot it ,its all good,dead roos tell no tales ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sha » 20 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

Kangaroo LOVE! :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Jack V » 20 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

I'm not telling no matter what .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 Nov 2014, 7:28 pm

tom604 wrote:hey,, we all know "what happens at band camp" stays at band camp :P and remember as long as you shot it ,its all good,dead roos tell no tales ;)

he'll be back

http://youtu.be/keCG57A7b1w
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 20 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

As long as he never tells :lol:

Hasta la vista baby :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by chacka » 21 Nov 2014, 10:54 am

Aw c'mon! Want to see the Roboroo movie :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 21 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

I don't deliberatley go out to kill things but if they jump in front of a moving projectile then so be it. Nowadays I like to give the giant bunnies a small chance of avoiding the projectiles, I call this "flight time" or the time it takes from when I pull the trigger till it intersects with their location in time and space. It's not my fault they failed to get outta the way of my projectile and stuff them for ruining my chances of missing.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 21 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

I just like to shoot patches of dirt.

God damn rabbits always wreck it for me and stand in the way.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 21 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

RealNick wrote:I just like to shoot patches of dirt.

God damn rabbits always wreck it for me and stand in the way.

Sounds like " Canyon Shooting " with rabbits running interference .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by T_M » 21 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

The sight of lamb corpses made it pretty easy to justify shooting foxes...
Anschutz 1416 D HB Classic w/ Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 22 Nov 2014, 9:50 am

T_M wrote:The sight of lamb corpses made it pretty easy to justify shooting foxes...

T_M - a couple of years ago we had 14 lambs born within a week of each other. When I went to lock them (and the ewes) up in the barn for the night (our only defence at the time against the foxes), I found the body of a lamb. Unfortunately I had to go and check every other lamb to establish which one it was. We had black headed dorpers and the ram that was used (not ours) over the ewes didn't have a strong black influence, so his lambs were all born mismarked. That's how I figured out who it was that the foxes had killed.
They hadn't touched the body, but had taken the head and neck.
I locked the rest of the ewes and lambs up, went up to get a bag for the body and by the time I came back, it was gone.
Damn foxes.

I wouldn't have a problem shooting foxes. I've seen the damage they've done to my ewes and lambs (especially ewes that have been attacked whilst lambing) and yeah, I know, they gotta eat to live, but it was horrible.
I watched two foxes frollicking in one of my paddocks at sunrise this morning!

To all those guys that seem to find every bunny in Australia with a death wish by refusing to move out of the way of your projectiles, well, that's their fault, isn't it! I mean, you gave them fair warning from the 'bang', it's not your fault if they didn't heed this warning! :lol:

Just throwing another question out there for ya.

Do you believe that we'll ever see the end of foxes? or rabbits?

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

Not in my lifetime... The last two months here at home I have shot more rabbits and foxes than any other year in the last 10 years.

Last week I went for a drive from one end to the other of a 3000 acre paddok, seen 6 foxes without calling, shot 3 of them, and nailed 50 or so rabbits, could have driven back and forth along that paddock and shot 50 again and again each time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by hoogle » 23 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

Jack V wrote:Sounds like " Canyon Shooting " with rabbits running interference .

Those damn canyon rights activists getting in the way :lol:
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 27 Nov 2014, 3:09 pm

My first time shooting an animal was when I shot a bird ... with a Y shaped sling shot and a little fifty cent sized pebble as a projectile.. My first assault weapon ever!

I felt intense curiosity looking at this bloodied sparrow writhing in the mud underneath an olive tree - This feeling was mixed with an elated and elevated - on steroid sense of accomplishment... and then i puked.

True story.
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 28 Nov 2014, 7:34 am

With a simple Ohhh yer that's what I'm talking about
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by oowess » 28 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

I yelled "It's coming right for us!" and then I fired :lol:

Self defence.
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control